Scotland’s leader calls on UK foreign minister to lobby Israel to allow civilians to flee Gaza

Scotland’s First Minister Humza Yousaf, with his wife Nadia El-Nakla, right, and his parents. (Getty Images)
Short Url
Updated 11 October 2023
Follow

Scotland’s leader calls on UK foreign minister to lobby Israel to allow civilians to flee Gaza

  • The parents of First Minister Humza Yousaf’s wife arrived in Gaza to visit a sick relative days before Hamas attacked Israel, and are now trapped there
  • Yousaf asks Foreign Secretary James Cleverly to leverage the UK’s good relationship with Israel and request a ceasefire so that civilians can leave the war zone

LONDON: Scotland’s First Minister Humza Yousaf, whose wife’s parents are trapped in Gaza, has asked UK Foreign Secretary James Cleverly to call for a ceasefire in the war between Hamas and Israel, so that civilians can leave the war zone.

In a letter to Cleverly, Yousaf urged him to use the good relationship between the UK and Israel to request a humanitarian corridor be established that will allow civilians to flee through the Rafah border crossing between Gaza and Egypt.

“Too many innocent people have already lost their lives as a consequence of these completely unjustifiable and illegitimate attacks by Hamas,” he wrote.

“However, innocent men, women and children cannot, and should not, pay the price for the actions of a terrorist group.”

Nadia El-Nakla, Yousaf’s wife, said her parents have been trapped in Gaza since Hamas launched its attack on Israel on Saturday and are “terrified” about what might happen next. The homes of some of her relatives have been destroyed by missile strikes, she told the BBC.

Her parents, Maged and Elizabeth El-Nakla, who live in the Scottish city of Dundee, had traveled to Gaza last week to visit their son, who is a father-of-four, and Maged’s 92-year-old mother, who is ill.

Days after they arrived, Hamas launched a surprise attack on Israel. Hundreds of people have since been killed on both sides, many of them civilians.

“They are now caught up in a war situation,” Nadia said of her parents. “My mother says that there is continual bombardment from land, sea and air.”

The couple had hoped to leave on Tuesday via the Rafah border crossing but it was bombed and no other way out is currently available.

Speaking from Bute House, the first minister’s official residence in Edinburgh, Nadia, who serves as an elected councillor on Dundee City Council, said: “They are just terrified, absolutely terrified, about what is to come and what is happening right now as we speak.”

She added that she is troubled by some of the language being used in reference to the conflict, in particular claims that Gaza will be “obliterated” in response to the Hamas attacks.

Nadia said she spoke to the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office on Wednesday but currently there is no way out for her parents. Should that change, she said they will face an “impossible decision” as they would have to leave behind relatives who do not have UK passports.


About 50,000 worshippers perform Taraweeh prayer at Al-Aqsa Mosque

Updated 23 February 2026
Follow

About 50,000 worshippers perform Taraweeh prayer at Al-Aqsa Mosque

  • Palestinians are observing Ramadan amid heightened tensions in the occupied West Bank
  • Over 300 Jerusalemites have recently received Israeli orders prohibiting their entry to Al-Aqsa Mosque during the fasting month

LONDON: Nearly 50,000 worshippers performed the Isha and Ramadan Taraweeh prayers on Sunday evening at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in the walled city of occupied East Jerusalem.

Thousands of Palestinians gathered at Al-Aqsa despite facing Israeli military checkpoints and strict identity checks at the mosque’s gates, according to the Jerusalem Governorate.

Palestinians are observing the fasting month of Ramadan, which began last Wednesday, amid heightened tensions in the occupied West Bank, including attacks by settlers, and Israeli raids and arrests.

Over 300 Jerusalemites have recently received Israeli orders prohibiting their entry to Al-Aqsa during Ramadan, the Wafa news agency reported.

Israeli forces have increased their military presence in Jerusalem and restricted access to Al-Aqsa to children under 12, men over 55, and women over 50.

Since Wednesday, thousands of Palestinians have lined up to pass through military checkpoints, including Qalandiya and Bethlehem, in hopes of attending prayers at Al-Aqsa Mosque during Ramadan.