Iranian authorities briefly detain father of Mahsa Amini on her death anniversary

Last year’s Mahsa Amini protests saw hundreds of people killed, including dozens of security forces, and thousands arrested in what Tehran labelled as ‘riots’ fomented by foreign governments. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 17 September 2023
Follow

Iranian authorities briefly detain father of Mahsa Amini on her death anniversary

  • Mahsa Amini died on September 16, 2022 after her arrest in Tehran for an alleged breach of the Islamic republic’s strict dress code for women

TEHRAN: Iranian security forces released Mahsa Amini's father on Saturday after briefly detaining and warning him against marking the anniversary of her death, a human rights group said.
“Security forces detained Amjad Amini today and returned him to his house after threatening him against marking his daughter's death anniversary,” the Kurdistan Human Rights network said.
The 22-year-old Iranian Kurd, died on September 16, 2022 after her arrest in Tehran for an alleged breach of the Islamic republic’s strict dress code for women.
Meanwhile, Iran has hit out at Western countries including arch-foe the United States over what it called their “illegal” decision to impose new sanctions on the Islamic republic.
The United States, Britain and the European Union announced new sanctions on multiple Iranian individuals and entities on Friday, the eve of Amini’s death anniversary.

Opinion

This section contains relevant reference points, placed in (Opinion field)

Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman Nasser Kanani slammed the Western countries’ “illegal and undiplomatic actions” in a statement issued late Friday.
Kanani also condemned the “interventionist actions and statements and ridiculous and hypocritical” displays of support for the protest movement.
He warned European diplomats against what he called such “unconstructive behavior” which “does not serve their interests.”
Friday’s US sanctions targeted 25 Iranian officials, three media outlets and an Internet censorship firm onto their sanctions blacklist, saying all were linked to Tehran’s suppression of protests after Amini’s death.
Most were regional commanders of the national police force and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
Also sanctioned was Gholamali Mohammadi, the head of Iran’s Prisons Organization, who the US Treasury alleged presides over serious human rights abuses including torture and rape.
Three media outlets – state-controlled Press TV as well as Tasnim and Fars news agencies – were also placed on the blacklist.
Britain’s sanctions included Iran’s Minister of Culture and Islamic Guidance Mohammad Mehdi Esmaili, his deputy Mohammad Hashemi, Tehran mayor Alireza Zakani and Iranian police spokesman Saeed Montazer Almehdi.
The European Union added to its own blacklist four Iranian officials – a Revolutionary Guards commander, two regional police chiefs and the head of a prison.
The sanctions were also coordinated with Canada and Australia.
Last year’s Amini protests saw hundreds of people killed, including dozens of security forces, and thousands arrested in what Tehran labelled as “riots” fomented by foreign governments.


Israel detains Al-Aqsa imam as PA warns of escalation during Ramadan

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Israel detains Al-Aqsa imam as PA warns of escalation during Ramadan

  • Israeli authorities have prohibited 250 people from entering Al-Aqsa Mosque since January
  • Knesset member Amit Halevi called for Jewish prayers at the site during Ramadan

LONDON: Israeli authorities detained Sheikh Mohammad Al-Abbasi, the imam of Al-Aqsa Mosque, from within the mosque’s courtyards as 222 settlers stormed the site on Monday.

The Palestinian Authority warned of an Israeli escalation at the Al-Aqsa compound in the walled city of occupied East Jerusalem, ahead of and during the fasting month of Ramadan, which starts this week.

The Jerusalem Governorate reported that Israeli authorities have prohibited 250 people from entering Al-Aqsa Mosque since January. This week, they prevented the Jerusalem Endowments Council from preparing for Ramadan by blocking the installation of umbrellas for sun and rain protection, and the setup of temporary clinics, according to Wafa news agency.

The governorate also condemned the visit of Israeli Knesset member Amit Halevi to Al-Aqsa Mosque on Sunday, accompanied by Israeli police. It said that Halevi’s incursion was part of a provocative tour with the “Temple Mount Administration,” amid rising Israeli calls to change the reality at Al-Aqsa Mosque and alter the historic status quo.

Halevi advocated continuing what he described as “Jewish prayers” at the site during the month of Ramadan, Wafa added.

The governorate also reported that Israeli forces issued a six-month ban on freed prisoner and Al-Aqsa Mosque guard Fadi Alyan from entering the mosque.