Libya lights up after years of power cuts

1 / 3
Libyans shop at a confectionary store in Tripoli on July 23, 2023. With new management at Gecol since last year, along with a relatively stable security situation, Libyans are receiving markedly improved electricity supply. (AFP))
2 / 3
A woman waits for her order at a butchery in Tripoli on July 31, 2023. With new management at Gecol since last year, along with a relatively stable security situation, Libyans are receiving markedly improved electricity supply. (AFP)
3 / 3
A man waits for his order at a butchery in Tripoli on July 31, 2023. With new management at Gecol since last year, along with a relatively stable security situation, Libyans are receiving markedly improved electricity supply. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 03 September 2023
Follow

Libya lights up after years of power cuts

  • Chronic electricity shortages had shaped the daily lives of Libyans since the fall of Muammar Qaddafi in a 2011 uprising
  • With a new management of the national electric company Gecol, Libyans now receive a markedly improved electricity supply

TRIPOLI, Libya: It’s midnight just before the weekend. Traffic snarls the corniche in Tripoli, where improved electricity service has brought renewed energy to Libya’s capital after years of conflict and power cuts.

Chronic electricity shortages had shaped the daily lives of Libyans since the fall of Muammar Qaddafi in a NATO-backed 2011 uprising.
A decade of stop-start fighting between rival armed groups followed, adding combat damage and looting to an already dilapidated grid in the North African country.
Power “outages were a disaster for my business,” said Hanan Al-Miladi, a 43-year-old baker who sells pastries online for weddings and other celebrations.
After 42 years in power, Qaddafi left behind obsolete infrastructure, an economy largely dependent on oil, and an underskilled workforce.
To protect the network and prevent overloads, the General Electricity Company of Libya (Gecol) resorted to widespread power cuts over the past 10 years during the peak consumption periods of summer and winter.
Until last year, outages could last 10 or even 20 hours, turning the city’s streets dark and leaving residents sweltering in summer temperatures above 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit) without air conditioning.
The most “unbearable thing was never knowing when the power would go out or for how many hours,” said Miladi.
But with new management at Gecol since last year, along with a relatively stable security situation, Libyans now receive a markedly improved electricity supply.

Prime Minister Abdelhamid Dbeibah, who heads a United Nations-backed government in Tripoli and is the Gecol chairman, in July 2022 sacked the previous manager.
He also made sure the power company’s new boss saw through projects, including a plan for maintenance of damaged infrastructure and tight control of funds to curb corruption.
Some foreign companies have now even revived projects they had suspended in Libya.
“The situation has improved, and customers notice it,” said 34-year-old butcher Moaed Zayani, who also sells frozen products.
To avoid countless sleepless nights, Libyans did adapt to the power outages.
Buying batteries costing a few hundred dinars (tens of dollars), they could power a television set and one or two lamps, as well as provide basic Internet connectivity.
Those who could afford it spent thousands of dollars on buying noisy, polluting fuel-guzzling generators.
But “even with a generator, refrigerators weaken after 10 hours,” said Zayani.
The roar of generators hasn’t completely gone away — it returned in a July heatwave — but not a week goes by without Gecol announcing the arrival of new equipment at the country’s roughly 20 power plants.
Since a 2020 cease-fire between Libya’s two rival administrations — Dbeibah’s in Tripoli, and another in the east backed by military strongman Khalifa Haftar — the country has been slowly trying to rebuild.

The electricity supply has improved countrywide, although the boost to Tripoli’s was the most dramatic and significant.
Electricity network stability is the foundation of the “Return to Life” campaign launched by the city government, and is slowly restoring Tripoli’s soul.
Residents proudly nickname their city “Siren of the Mediterranean” for its attractive seafront.
“It’s clear that administrative stability within Gecol has contributed to the stability of the power network,” said Mohamad Rahoumi, 53, spokesman for a pastry brand.
“But consumers also have a role to play in reducing their consumption and paying their bills.”
Libyan electricity rates are among the lowest in the region, at 0.050 dinars (one US cent) per kilowatt-hour for individuals and 0.20 dinars for businesses.
“The government’s efforts are visible, but citizens still have a constant apprehension due to instability,” said 34-year-old downtown bartender Abdelmalek Fathallah.
In August, clashes between two militias using rocket launchers and machine guns killed 55 people. It was Tripoli’s worst unrest in more than a year.
Although such incidents are less frequent, they “can erupt at any moment,” destroying infrastructure as well as people’s homes, Fathallah said.
Still, the lights shining in Tripoli’s medina and silhouetting the adjacent Red Castle, a 16th-century fortress built by the Spanish, symbolize hope for a brighter future.
 


US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

  • The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year
  • Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration has informed Congress that it intends to proceed with planning for a potential re-opening of the US Embassy in Damascus, Syria, which was shuttered in 2012 during the country’s civil war.
A notice to congressional committees earlier this month, which was obtained by The Associated Press, informed lawmakers of the State Department’s “intent to implement a phased approach to potentially resume embassy operations in Syria.”
The Feb. 10 notification said that spending on the plans would begin in 15 days, or next week, although there was no timeline offered for when they would be complete or when US personnel might return to Damascus on a full-time basis.
The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year, shortly after longtime strongman Bashar Assad was ousted in December 2024, and it has been a priority for President Donald Trump’s ambassador to Turkiye and special envoy for Syria, Tom Barrack.
Barrack has pushed for a deep rapprochement with Syria and its new leadership under former rebel Ahmad Al-Sharaa and has successfully advocated for the lifting of US sanctions and a reintegration of Syria into the regional and international communities.
Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president. “He’s a rough guy. He’s not a choir boy. A choir boy couldn’t do it,” Trump said. “But Syria’s coming together.”
Last May, Barrack visited Damascus and raised the US flag at the embassy compound, although the embassy was not yet re-opened.
The same day the congressional notification was sent, Barrack lauded Syria’s decision to participate in the coalition that is combating the Daesh militant group, even as the US military has withdrawn from a small, but important, base in the southeast and there remain significant issues between the government and the Kurdish minority.
“Regional solutions, shared responsibility. Syria’s participation in the D-Daesh Coalition meeting in Riyadh marks a new chapter in collective security,” Barrack said.
The embassy re-opening plans are classified and the State Department declined to comment on details beyond confirming that the congressional notification was sent.
However, the department has taken a similar “phased” approach in its plans to re-open the US Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela, following the US military operation that ousted former President Nicolás Maduro in January, with the deployment of temporary staffers who would live in and work out of interim facilities.