Major Cyprus police operation on migrants at condemned building

Cypriot authorities have started removing around 600 asylum seekers from the condemned apartment complex near the resort of Paphos after protests by residents. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 22 August 2023
Follow

Major Cyprus police operation on migrants at condemned building

  • The issue resurfaced after the state electricity utility cut power to the complex and placed the local substation under guard
  • European Union member Cyprus argues it is a "frontline country" on the Mediterranean migrant route

CHLORAKA, Cyprus: A major Cypriot police operation Tuesday found dozens of migrants living in a condemned apartment complex near the resort city of Paphos, after protests by residents and allegations of electricity theft.
There has long been friction between the asylum-seekers and residents of the town of Chlorakas, who have held protests demanding that the flats be cleared.
The issue resurfaced after the state electricity utility cut power to the complex and placed the local substation under guard.
European Union member Cyprus argues it is a "frontline country" on the Mediterranean migrant route. Last year, according to EU data, it had the highest number of first-time asylum applications relative to population in the 27-member bloc.
"Personnel are in the area and have blocked off the building complex and begun to register all the foreigners who are settled in the specific complex in Chlorakas," Paphos police spokesman Michalis Nicolaou told reporters.
He said the asylum-seekers would be registered and transferred to a migrant reception centre for processing to determine whether they have the right to stay on the east Mediterranean island.
The interior ministry later said inspection of the 250 apartments had found 81 people living there, including 23 asylum seekers.
Deportation procedures will be started for one person found to be in Cyprus illegally, a ministry statement said.
The remainder "made known their intention to leave in the next few days and find another place to stay", it added.
But one resident, who gave his name only as Mahmud, told AFP they have no alternative.
"We have no electricity and no water, the police threaten us with eviction every day. Where can we go?" the Syrian asylum seeker asked.
Another Syrian, Abu Shahinaz, said they have difficulty finding other accommodation because of local attitudes.
"When you want to rent a house, the owners tell you: 'Are you Syrian? Then no.'"
When AFP visited the Ayios Nikolaos complex more than 18 months ago around 700 refugees were living there, most of them from Syria.
On Tuesday police carried out an eviction order issued in November 2020 but not implemented.
State broadcaster CyBC said that around 150 migrants had left the complex before the operation began.
Under the 2020 decree, the Ayios Nikolaos apartment complex -- whose abandoned swimming pool is filled with rubbish -- should have been closed on health and safety grounds.
Around 100 migrants launched a protest last week demanding to be rehoused elsewhere. The police anti-riot unit intervened, using tear gas against them.


Bus with Chinese tourists crashes through ice on Russia’s Lake Baikal, killing 8

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Bus with Chinese tourists crashes through ice on Russia’s Lake Baikal, killing 8

  • One of the Chinese tourists managed to escape from the bus
  • The bus plunged into a 3-meter (10-foot) -wide ice crevasse

MOSCOW: A tour bus carrying Chinese tourists plunged through the ice on Russia’s Lake Baikal, killing eight people, officials said.
One of the Chinese tourists managed to escape from the bus, which was crossing the frozen lake on Friday, Irkutsk regional Gov. Igor Kobzev wrote in a Telegram post on Saturday. He said the dead included seven Chinese tourists and the driver.
The bus plunged into a 3-meter (10-foot) -wide ice crevasse, Russia’s Emergencies Ministry reported. The lake is 18 meters (59 feet) deep at the site of the accident, it said. The ministry said rescuers used underwater cameras before embarking on a diving operation.
The regional prosecutor’s office said a criminal probe had been opened. The Irkutsk tourism office reported on Saturday that the bus tour had been run by an unregistered operator.
Lake Baikal, the world’s deepest freshwater lake, is one of Russia’s key tourism attractions. Numbers of Chinese visitors to the country soared in recent years, after Moscow and Beijing introduced a mutual visa-free regime.