Pakistan to hold elections based on 2023 census— PM Sharif 

Prime Minister of Pakistan Shehbaz Sharif attends the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) leaders' summit in Samarkand on September 16, 2022. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 02 August 2023
Follow

Pakistan to hold elections based on 2023 census— PM Sharif 

  • Pakistan’s interior minister said last month polls would be held based on results of population census 2017
  • Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif reiterates government would fulfill constitutional responsibility to hold polls on time

ISLAMABAD: The upcoming general elections in Pakistan would be held based on the results of the 2023 population census, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said on Tuesday, reiterating that the government was committed to holding polls on time in accordance with Pakistan’s constitution. 

Sharif’s statement is in contradiction with Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah’s announcement on July 16, in which he said Pakistan would not notify results of the latest census held in April and would hold the upcoming general elections based on the population count of 2017. 

The initial results of Pakistan’s digital census revealed in May 2023 that the South Asian country’s population had reached 249.5 million. Several political parties, including the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) in the southern Sindh province objected to the headcount in the province, while concerns were also raised over the results in the most backward Balochistan province in the country’s southwest. 

The Council of Common Interests (CCI), a constitutional body, has the prerogative to approve census results. Once the census is approved and published, the law states that elections are to be held on the basis of the latest published census.

“I think there is a [strong] possibility that the CCI would hold its meeting,” Sharif said in a recorded interview to a private news channel. “We have to head into elections based on the [results] of the new census. As soon as its results are finalized, we will take them to the CCI because it is a constitutional requirement and the census is a CCI subject,” he added. 

Sharif reiterated polls should be held based on the latest census results unless there is an “obstacle” that cannot be overcome. The prime minister, however, said such an obstacle does not exist. “Other than that, the ball will be in the Election Commission of Pakistan’s court,” he said. 

Population censuses have a huge impact on elections in Pakistan. Census results serve as the basis of allocation of National Assembly seats among the four provinces and Islamabad, according to Article 51(5) of the constitution. 

Once the National Assembly seats are allocated to the provinces, they are further apportioned among districts based on the population counted for each district.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”