COP28 president-designate meets EU ministers to discuss climate plans and targets

COP28 President-Designate Dr. Sultan bin Ahmed Al Jaber ahead EU energy and environment ministers. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 11 July 2023
Follow

COP28 president-designate meets EU ministers to discuss climate plans and targets

  • Al-Jaber said his goal is a just energy transition that ensures funding is available to all nations to address climate change
  • * He emphasized the urgent need to ensure global carbon emissions are reduced by 43 percent by 2030

DUBAI: Sultan Al-Jaber, the president-designate of the 2023 UN Climate Change Conference, COP28, met EU energy and environment ministers to discuss plans and objectives for the event, which is scheduled to begin in Dubai on Nov. 30.

The aim of the meetings was to generate momentum and enhance cooperation with the EU in efforts to drive action on climate finance and triple the global capacity of renewable energy, the Emirates News Agency reported on Tuesday.

Al-Jaber said his goal as president-designate is to establish a just energy transition that will ensure funding is available to all nations, particularly those in the Global South, to help address the effects of climate change and promote food security, healthcare and sanitation for all.

He highlighted the essential nature of a successful Global Stocktake, as part of the UN’s Framework Convention on Climate Change, to assess the current state of the planet, and emphasized the urgent need for a significant course correction to ensure global carbon emissions are reduced by 43 percent by 2030 and the energy transition is accelerated.

During his meetings with the ministers, Al-Jaber sought their assistance on these and other critical issues, including climate finance, the reform of international financial institutions, renewable energy, and hydrogen power.

“We have seven years to make a 43 percent reduction in global carbon emissions in order to keep 1.5 degrees Celsius within reach,” he said as he addressed the ministers, referring to the target of limiting the increase in global temperatures to 1.5 degrees above pre-industrial levels.

“At the same time, we will see a dramatic increase in energy demand as the global population rises. The need for robust, sustainable growth — while dramatically reducing emissions — is the critical challenge of our century. A system-wide transformation of entire economies is required.”

Al-Jaber emphasized the need to triple the global capacity of renewable energy sources, in local and international arenas, to help achieve the transition to green energy, and reiterated his request for all nations to unite behind the world’s first Global Renewables Pledge.

He also renewed his call, made in Vienna last week at the eighth OPEC International Seminar, for oil and gas-producing countries, and companies operating in the sector, to take action to achieve net-zero methane emissions by 2030 and net-zero on all carbon emissions by 2050.

He urged EU member states to take all necessary steps to increase the capacity of renewables, including “accelerating permission for projects and related infrastructure, expanding power-grid connections, increasing investment in technologies like storage, and increasing energy efficiencies.”

Turning his attention to historical climate-finance pledges, Al-Jaber said: “I am encouraged to believe that donors will finally meet the $100 billion commitment this year and we also need to operationalize the Loss and Damage fund this year.”

The fund, established during COP27 in Egypt last year, aims to provide financial support for vulnerable countries already experiencing the devastating effects of climate change.

“We need to streamline and simplify access to climate finance and find new and scalable mechanisms to channel substantial private-sector investment into the Global South,” Al-Jaber added.

“This will require major IFI (international financial institution) and MDB (multilateral development bank) reform to unlock concessional finance, lower risk and attract private finance at the scale and scope needed.

“No one has all the answers and there is no ‘one size fits all’ solution, but by working together we can make history together. COP28 must be a COP of action and a COP for all if we are to deliver the game-changing transformation that the world needs.”
 


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al-Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.