Burning of Qur’an torpedoes Sweden’s NATO bid

Salwan Momika protests outside a mosque in Stockholm on June 28, 2023, during the Eid Al-Adha holiday. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 06 July 2023
Follow

Burning of Qur’an torpedoes Sweden’s NATO bid

  • Ankara has demanded a Swedish crackdown on Kurdish movements, such as the the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), which it says is a terrorist group
  • Erdogan has continued to criticize Stockholm, and a protest last week that saw pages of the Qur'an burnt further stoked his ire

JEDDAH: Sweden failed on Thursday to convince Turkiye to lift its block on Stockholm’s membership of NATO in talks blighted by last week’s desecration and burning of the Qur’an in the Swedish capital.

Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan was furious with the Swedish government for allowing the “protest” outside the Stockholm central mosque to go ahead. “Those who permitted the crime” were as much to blame as the perpetrator, he said, and NATO membership was out of the question until Qur’an burning ceased.

Turkiye already opposes Sweden’s NATO membership because of its alleged harboring of PKK militants from the Kurdistan Workers Party.

Sweden says it has fulfilled the demands agreed on in negotiations with Turkiye, including the introduction of a bill that makes being a member of a terrorist organization illegal. The government is also looking at whether it could criminalize setting any holy book on fire. Such actions are currently protected by Sweden’s far-reaching laws on freedom of expression.

“We have to ask ourselves whether the current order is good or whether there is reason to reconsider it,” Justice Minister Gunnar Strommer said on Thursday. “We can see that the Qur’an burning last week has generated threats to our internal security.”

Talks on Sweden’s NATO membership will continue on Monday before a NATO summit in Vilnius, Lithania. “We are hoping and looking for a positive decision,” Swedish Foreign Minister Tobias Billstrom said.


Britain needs to step up defense spending faster, says Starmer

Britain's Prime Minister Keir Starmer takes part in a panel discussion in Munich, Germany. (AP file photo)
Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Britain needs to step up defense spending faster, says Starmer

  • Britain’s budget watchdog, the Office for Budget Responsibility, said last year that raising defense spending to 3 percent of the GDP would cost an additional £17.3 billion a year ($24 billion) in 2029-30

LONDON: Britain should step up and accelerate its ​defense spending, Prime Minister Keir Starmer said on Monday, following a report that the government was considering bringing forward its target to spend 3 percent of economic output on defense.
Britain, which has warned of the risks posed by Russia, said in February 2025 that it would lift annual defense spending to 2.5 percent of the GDP by 2027 and aim for 3 percent in the next Parliament, which is expected to begin after an ‌election due in ‌2029.
The BBC reported that the government was ​now ‌exploring ways to ​reach the 3 percent target by 2029. It said no decision had been taken but the government recognized current plans would not cover rising defense costs.

HIGHLIGHT

The BBC reported that the government is ​now ‌exploring ways to ​reach the 3 percent target by 2029.

Asked whether he would bring the target forward to 2029, Starmer echoed comments he made at the Munich Security Conference, where he said Europe had united to support Ukraine with the supply of weapons and munitions and to strengthen military readiness.
“We need to step up. That means on ‌defense spending, we need to go faster,” ‌Starmer told reporters on Monday. “We’ve obviously made commitments ​already in relation to that, but ‌it goes beyond just how much you spend.”
Latest NATO estimates show ‌that Britain spent 2.3 percent of the GDP on defense in 2024, above the alliance’s 2 percent guideline. But like other European countries, it has faced US pressure to spend more to protect the continent. Struggling with high debt and spending commitments, the government last ‌year cut its international aid budget to fund the hike in defense spending to 2.5 percent of GDP but is yet to publish an investment plan with spending priorities, something that has frustrated the defense industry.
Britain’s budget watchdog, the Office for Budget Responsibility, said last year that raising defense spending to 3 percent of the GDP would cost an additional £17.3 billion a year ($24 billion) in 2029-30.
Finance Minister Rachel Reeves has struggled to stay on track with her plans to repair the public finances. The BBC said the Finance Ministry was believed to be cautious about the new defense spending proposals.
A government spokesperson said Britain was “delivering ​the largest sustained increase in defense ​spending since the Cold War.”