Greek migrant tragedy death toll rises, suspects detained

1 / 2
Protesters hold a banner during a protest march to the Frontex and Hellenic Coastguard headquarters in the port of Piraeus near Athens, on June 18, 2023, following the deadly shipwreck which costed lives of at least 78 migrants. (AFP)
2 / 2
Protesters carry a banner listing the cases of migrants' deaths during a protest march to Frontex and Hellenic Coastguard headquarters in the port of Piraeus near Athens. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 20 June 2023
Follow

Greek migrant tragedy death toll rises, suspects detained

  • Bodies were found in the sea west of the Peloponnese peninsula

MALAKASA, Greece: The suspected smugglers of scores of migrants who drowned in a Mediterranean Sea shipwreck last week are expected to face manslaughter charges in a Greek court this week, while Pakistan detained a dozen suspects over the disaster.
Greece recovered three more bodies on Monday, bringing the confirmed toll to 81, after a fishing boat packed with hundreds of migrants sank of its south-west coast last week in a journey which started from Libya and was supposed to end in Italy.
Only 104 people are known to have survived.
Lawyers for nine suspected smugglers held by Greece, all from Egypt, sought and were granted a postponement of their arraignment hearing to Tuesday morning, the semi-official Athens News Agency said.
One of the lawyers said his client denied he was a smuggler, saying he was instead a victim who had paid to be taken to Italy.
“He left his country looking for a better life in Europe because of economic difficulties,” said the lawyer, Athanasios Iliopoulos.
Greece was still scouring the sea on Monday, though the chance of finding more survivors was seen as virtually nil. The boat sank in some of the deepest waters of the Mediterranean.
The victims are thought to be from Syria, Pakistan and Egypt. Hundreds more are feared dead.
Greece has come under increasing scrutiny over its response to the disaster, which occurred even though the boat had been shadowed by its coast guard for several hours.
Pakistan declared a national day of mourning on Monday, after counting at least 21 victims from the Koti district in the Pakistan-administered area of the Himalayan Kashmir region. It said an initial investigation suggested the boat was carrying around 800 people.
Other estimates have said at least 400 people were aboard.
Fourteen people in Pakistan have been arrested on suspicion of alleged trafficking.

ANGUISH FOR RELATIVES
The boat is thought to have set off with passengers from the Libyan coastal city of Tobruk on June 10.
Greek authorities say the vessel, which they had monitored for about 15 hours after being alerted by Italy, flipped and capsized about 25 minutes after its engine stalled in the early hours of June 14.
Authorities said the vessel repeatedly refused Greek help, saying it wanted to go to Italy.
Alarm Phone, an advocacy group that was in communication with the vessel, said that on at least two occasions people on board pleaded for help. The group said it alerted Greek authorities and aid agencies hours before the disaster unfolded.
Greek authorities also denied reports the vessel was stationary for hours, saying that it had sailed a distance of about 30 nautical miles from its detection to its sinking.
Over a 15-hour period, that would suggest the boat going at a crawl.
Relatives have been turning up outside a migrant facility north of Athens since survivors were brought there on Friday, showing photos of the missing through the camp gates, in the hopes someone might recognize them.
“I’m looking for my brother. I want to see where the boat sunk to try to find him,” said 54-year-old Mohamed El Sayed El-Dadamony Radwan, who traveled from Germany, after reuniting with a nephew who survived.
Radwan showed a photo of his missing brother on his phone.
“I want to look for him because I can’t find (his name), not in the hospital records of those who perished or in the list of those who survived,” he said.
On Sunday, there was an emotional reunion for Syrian teenager Mohammad Hadhoud, 18, who survived the wreck, and his elder brother Fadi, who had first spotted each other through a metal barricade in the coastal city of Kalamata on Friday.
At a migrant camp in Malakasa near Athens, Mohammad sprinted into his brother’s open arms as they both sobbed, holding each other for several moments. Fadi said their brother-in-law died in the shipwreck.
Others had yet to receive news of loved ones.
“My uncle was with me on the same boat, the boat that capsized. I am looking for my uncle but I can’t find him,” said 22-year-old Egyptian survivor Atia Al Said.
 


Burkina jihadist attacks on army leave at least 10 dead

Updated 55 min 19 sec ago
Follow

Burkina jihadist attacks on army leave at least 10 dead

ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast: Suspected Islamist militants attacked an army unit in northern Burkina Faso Sunday, the latest in a series of alleged jihadist attacks that have killed at least 10 people in four days, security sources told AFP.
The west African country, ruled by a military junta since a 2022 coup, has been plagued with violence from militants allied to Al-Qaeda or the Daesh group for more than a decade.
Social media has been awash with speculation that the spate of attacks may have killed dozens of soldiers, but AFP has been unable to independently verify those claims.
The junta, which seized power on the promise to crack down on the violence, has ceased to communicate on jihadist attacks.
On Sunday, militants carried out a major attack on a military detachment in the northern town of Nare, two security sources told AFP.
The previous day, the Burkinabe army’s unit in the northern city of Titao was “targeted by a group of several hundred terrorists,” one of the sources said.
While the source did not give a death toll for either attack, they said part of the military base in Titao had been destroyed.
The interior minister of Ghana, which borders Burkina Faso to the south, said the government had “received disturbing information from Burkina Faso of a truck carrying tomato traders from Ghana which was caught in a terrorist attack in Titao.”

Jihadist ‘coordination’
According to the same security source, another army base in Tandjari, in the east of the country, was also attacked Saturday, and several officers killed.
“This series of attacks is not a coincidence,” the source said. “There seems to be coordination among the jihadists.”
A separate security source told AFP that a “terrorist group attacked the (military) detachment in Bilanga,” in the east of the country, on Thursday.
“Much of the detachment was ransacked,” the source said, giving a toll of “about 10 deaths” among the soldiers and civilian volunteers fighting alongside the army.
A local source confirmed the attack, adding there was damage in the town of Bilanga, and that the assailants had stayed at the scene until the following day.
Despite the junta’s vow to restore security, Burkina Faso remains caught in a spiral of violence.
According to conflict monitor ACLED, the unrest has killed tens of thousands of civilians and soldiers since 2015 — and more than half of those deaths have come in the past three years.