Nepali sherpa scales Everest for record 28th time

Kami Rita Sherpa reached the 8,849-meter summit by the traditional southeast ridge route. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 23 May 2023
Follow

Nepali sherpa scales Everest for record 28th time

  • Kami Rita first climbed Everest in 1994, and has done so almost every year since
  • But there were two more deaths on Everest over the weekend that took the toll to 11

KATMANDU: A Nepali sherpa reached the summit of Mount Everest for a record 28th time on Tuesday, an official said, completing his second ascent in just a week, as the toll in this year’s climbing season reached 11.
Kami Rita Sherpa, 53, reached the 8,849-meter summit by the traditional southeast ridge route, said Nepali tourism official Bigyan Koirala, following his 27th climb last week.
Pioneered by New Zealander Sir Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tenzing Norgay in 1953, the route remains the most popular path to the world’s tallest peak.
“Kami Rita is on his way down from the summit,” said Thaneswar Guragai, the general manager of his employer, the Seven Summit Treks company, which says climbing is a passion for the sherpa.
“He climbed with other clients but we are waiting for details.”
Kami Rita first climbed Everest in 1994, and has done so almost every year since, except for three years when authorities closed the mountain for various reasons.
“He developed a deep passion for climbing from a young age and has been scaling the mountains for over two decades,” the company said last week.
Another sherpa climber scaled Everest for the 27th time this week, the most summits after Kami Rita.
British climber Kenton Cool last week climbed Everest for the 17th time, the most by a foreigner.
However, the dangers the mountain presents for many climbers were reflected in two more deaths on Everest over the weekend that took the toll to 11 since April.
One was a Nepali sherpa, working to clean the mountain, who died on Monday, the Nepali Army said in a statement. Equipment and other items left by climbing expeditions can litter the mountain for decades.
An Australian engineer died during the descent from the summit on Friday in the death zone above 7,925 meters, which is infamous for the thin air that can cause sudden high-altitude sickness.
Jason Bernard Kennison, 40, probably died due to weakness at the Balcony area between the summit and the final camp, said Ang Tshering Sherpa, of the Asian Trekking Co.
“He was being carried down by sherpa climbers but collapsed after reaching the Balcony area,” he said, but gave no details.
Strong winds frustrated efforts to carry more oxygen canisters for Kennison from the final camp, hiking officials said.
The tally of 11 includes three sherpas who died in April in a serac fall on the lower reaches of the mountain, while others dying of illness, weakness and various causes, they added.
Two climbers, one each from Singapore and Malaysia, have been missing for the last three days, officials said.


Sydney man jailed for mailing reptiles in popcorn bags

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Sydney man jailed for mailing reptiles in popcorn bags

  • The eight-year term handed down on Friday was a record for wildlife smuggling, federal environment officials said

SYDNEY: A Sydney man who tried to post native lizards, dragons and other reptiles out of Australia in bags of popcorn and biscuit tins has been sentenced to eight years in jail, authorities said Tuesday.
The eight-year term handed down on Friday was a record for wildlife smuggling, federal environment officials said.
A district court in Sydney gave the man, 61-year-old Neil Simpson, a non-parole period of five years and four months.
Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from seized parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania, the officials said in a statement.
The animals — including shingleback lizards, western blue-tongue lizards, bearded dragons and southern pygmy spiny-tailed skinks — were posted in 15 packages between 2018 and 2023.
“Lizards, skinks and dragons were secured in calico bags. These bags were concealed in bags of popcorn, biscuit tins and a women’s handbag and placed inside cardboard boxes,” the statement said.
The smuggler had attempted to get others to post the animals on his behalf but was identified by government investigators and the New South Wales police, it added.
Three other people were convicted for taking part in the crime.
The New South Wales government’s environment department said that “the illegal wildlife trade is not a victimless crime,” harming conservation and stripping the state “and Australia of its unique biodiversity.”