Anger, despair in Turkiye’s earthquake zone on eve of election

A excavator loads rubble onto a truck on a street in Antakya, on May 13, 2023, ahead of presidential and legislative elections on May 14, that could end President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's 21-year rule. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 13 May 2023
Follow

Anger, despair in Turkiye’s earthquake zone on eve of election

  • Metin Yener and his wife Zubeyde will vote for Kemal Kilicdaroglu, the secular rival to long-serving Recep Tayyip Erdogan, whose government is fighting for its political life

ANTAKYA: At a bus station in Antakya, a city razed to the ground by Turkiye’s devastating earthquake, emotions remain raw and voters divided ahead of Sunday’s pivotal elections.
The Yener family’s building partially collapsed in February’s 7.8-magnitude tremor, which killed more than 50,000 people and unleashed a wave of anger at the government’s delayed rescue and recovery work.
Like many others forced to flee their homes in this ancient cradle of civilizations near the Syrian border, they returned to take part in Turkiye’s biggest vote of modern times.
Metin Yener and his wife Zubeyde will vote for Kemal Kilicdaroglu, the secular rival to long-serving Recep Tayyip Erdogan, whose government is fighting for its political life.
“These elections are important. We have hope,” Metin said with a smile, as his family waited at the station after braving a five-hour bus journey.
In his tiny store stacked with water bottles, crisp packets and batteries sold to time-pressed travelers, shopkeeper Mithat cannot wait to have his say in the presidential and legislative polls.
“During the earthquake, the state abandoned us. In the first three days, no one came to our aid,” the 55-year-old said, withholding his surname for fear of getting into trouble.
Mithat also declined to state his voting preference, wanting to keep it a secret.
“But I will vote with my conscience,” he said.
Serdal Anil has no qualms about openly showing his support for Kilicdaroglu, leader of the secular Republican People’s Party or CHP and head of a six-party opposition alliance seeking to end more than two decades of Erdogan rule.
The 21-year-old has been living in a tent with his parents for three months, regretting how tough life had become since the earthquake and an economic crisis experts say was exacerbated by Erdogan’s unorthodox policies.
With the situation becoming more difficult and snakes trying to slither into his makeshift accommodation, Anil does not fear a change of leadership will hamper the massive reconstruction effort.
“Both (candidates) can do it, they are the state,” he said.
A short distance away, the CHP has set up its provincial leadership under four large tents erected alongside a major road — its headquarters were not spared by the quake either.
Hakan Tiryaki, CHP president for Hatay province, of which Antakya is the capital, said “a change of government is the only glimmer of hope” residents had, despite Erdogan’s promises of rapid reconstruction.
Widespread public anger at the state’s slow response to the tragedy leads Tiryaki to believe that many of Hatay’s one million electors will vote differently this year.
Even in the 2018 presidential ballot, Erdogan won 48.5 percent of the vote in the province — four points below the national average.
Those who previously plumped for Erdogan’s Justice and Development Party or AKP now see it as “killers” of their loved ones, Tiryaki said.
“Voters are doing everything to come and vote. There are sick people who are putting their treatment on hold. They’re banking everything on this election,” he said.
But back at Antakya’s bus station, outrage against the government’s handling of the quake will not motivate coach driver Mehmet Kuyumcu to punish Erdogan and the AKP at the ballot box — he’ll be working instead.
“I will not vote. I have never even voted,” he told AFP.
“I lost five members of my family. Do the political parties have anything to do with it? My vote isn’t going to bring them back to life.”
Cansel Dogruel said she was thinking of voting for Erdogan, just as she did in 2018.
Speaking under her tent with her young child in her arms, she admitted she had only loosely followed the campaigning.
“We don’t know what the candidates are saying, we don’t have a TV or a telephone anymore,” she said.
“We waited for a tent for weeks and it wasn’t even the state that gave it to us,” she said.
The protracted limbo is making the young woman have second thoughts about backing Erdogan, the man who has dominated Turkish politics since 2003.
“Actually, given the situation we’re in, I don’t know anymore — I’m in two minds.”

 


US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

  • The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year
  • Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration has informed Congress that it intends to proceed with planning for a potential re-opening of the US Embassy in Damascus, Syria, which was shuttered in 2012 during the country’s civil war.
A notice to congressional committees earlier this month, which was obtained by The Associated Press, informed lawmakers of the State Department’s “intent to implement a phased approach to potentially resume embassy operations in Syria.”
The Feb. 10 notification said that spending on the plans would begin in 15 days, or next week, although there was no timeline offered for when they would be complete or when US personnel might return to Damascus on a full-time basis.
The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year, shortly after longtime strongman Bashar Assad was ousted in December 2024, and it has been a priority for President Donald Trump’s ambassador to Turkiye and special envoy for Syria, Tom Barrack.
Barrack has pushed for a deep rapprochement with Syria and its new leadership under former rebel Ahmad Al-Sharaa and has successfully advocated for the lifting of US sanctions and a reintegration of Syria into the regional and international communities.
Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president. “He’s a rough guy. He’s not a choir boy. A choir boy couldn’t do it,” Trump said. “But Syria’s coming together.”
Last May, Barrack visited Damascus and raised the US flag at the embassy compound, although the embassy was not yet re-opened.
The same day the congressional notification was sent, Barrack lauded Syria’s decision to participate in the coalition that is combating the Daesh militant group, even as the US military has withdrawn from a small, but important, base in the southeast and there remain significant issues between the government and the Kurdish minority.
“Regional solutions, shared responsibility. Syria’s participation in the D-Daesh Coalition meeting in Riyadh marks a new chapter in collective security,” Barrack said.
The embassy re-opening plans are classified and the State Department declined to comment on details beyond confirming that the congressional notification was sent.
However, the department has taken a similar “phased” approach in its plans to re-open the US Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela, following the US military operation that ousted former President Nicolás Maduro in January, with the deployment of temporary staffers who would live in and work out of interim facilities.