Disinformation adds dark note to pivotal Turkish election

People walk next to billboards of Turkish President and People's Alliance's presidential candidate Recep Tayyip Erdogan, right, and Turkish CHP party leader and Nation Alliance's presidential candidate Kemal Kilicdaroglu in Istanbul on May 11, 2023. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 24 May 2023
Follow

Disinformation adds dark note to pivotal Turkish election

  • Turkiye’s social media became a political battlefield last October, when parliament adopted a law making the spread of “fake news” punishable by up to three years in prison

ISTANBUL: The clip lasted 14 seconds, presented by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan as proof that his rival in Sunday’s election was running “hand in hand” with outlawed Kurdish militants.

Aired at a huge rally and beamed live on TV, the video showed opposition leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu trying to rally his supporters to the tune of his campaign song.
In the next sequence, members of Turkiye’s banned PKK group echoed that call while clapping their hands to the beat of Kilicdaroglu’s election jingle.
The message Erdogan was trying to project was clear: the secular opposition leader had formed a union with “terrorists.”
Only it was a montage, one of the latest pieces of disinformation to pollute the campaign of one of Turkiye’s closest and most important elections in generations.
“How can a person sitting in the president’s chair stoop this low,” Kilicdaroglu, whose campaign has been endorsed by Turkiye’s main pro-Kurdish party, fumed on Tuesday.
Running neck-and-neck with Erdogan, Kilicdaroglu claims that “foreign hackers” recruited by Erdogan’s team are preparing deepfakes — manipulated videos and soundbites — aimed at discrediting rivals days before the election.
“Dear Russian friends,” he added on Twitter on Thursday.
“You are behind the montages, conspiracies, deepfake content and tapes that were exposed in this country,” he said without explaining why he was blaming Russia.
“If you want our friendship after May 15, get your hands off the Turkish state.”

Erdogan has responded in kind, alleging that “an army of trolls” was working for his rival.
“You are using lies and misinformation. You are devising schemes that even the devil would not have thought of,” Erdogan told the opposition leader on television.
Turkiye’s social media became a political battlefield last October, when parliament adopted a law making the spread of “fake news” punishable by up to three years in prison.
Weeks later, Kilicdaroglu became one of the first to be prosecuted under the law for alleging that Erdogan’s Islamic-rooted government was responsible for a “methamphetamine epidemic” in Turkiye.
Dunja Mijatovic, the Council of Europe’s commissioner for human rights, warned in May that the law’s “extensive use” was having a “chilling effect on journalists and critical voices.”
Suncem Kocer, a disinformation specialist at Istanbul’s Koc University, said such charges and counter-charges had never featured to this extent in past Turkish elections.
“Everybody is trying to define what disinformation is,” Kocer said. “It has turned into a weapon to kind of criminalize the opposite candidate or party. This is something new.”

But the actual methods of spreading disinformation remain the same, said Gulin Cavus, co-founder of Turkiye’s Teyit fact checking site.
They appear “on social networks, but also during meetings,” in images that are either cropped or taken out of context.
In one example earlier this week, Erdogan showed an excerpt of a newspaper article on a big screen suggesting that Kilicdaroglu had been found guilty of fraud in 1996.
In the original article, quickly unearthed by journalists from Teyit, Kilicdaroglu had actually denounced fraud committed by people who took advantage of Turkiye’s social security agency, which he then headed.
“These videos can make a real impact on people with little training in media and with digital tools,” Cavus said.
Some of the disinformation relies on more tried and tested methods such as fake campaign literature.
One leaflet claiming to come from Kilicdaroglu’s team promises to withdraw Turkiye’s troops from Syria and halt all military operations against the PKK.
Kocer said all this disinformation was unlikely to sway Sunday’s outcome, where turnout among Turkiye’s 64 million voters is likely to be high.
“But disinformation certainly works toward increasing the polarized atmosphere, which is the real danger,” Kocer said.
 


Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

  • Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community

LONDON: The family of a 19-year-old Palestinian-American man reportedly shot dead by an Israeli settler in the occupied West Bank have demanded accountability, amid mounting scrutiny over a surge in settler violence and a lack of prosecutions.

Nasrallah Abu Siyam, a US citizen born in Philadelphia, was killed near the city of Ramallah on Wednesday, becoming at least the sixth American citizen to die in incidents involving Israeli settlers or soldiers in the territory in the past two years.

Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community. Witnesses said that stones were thrown by both sides before settlers opened fire, wounding at least three villagers.

Abu Siyam was struck and later died of his injuries.

Abdulhamid Siyam, the victim’s cousin, said the killing reflected a wider pattern of impunity.

“A young man of 19 shot and killed in cold blood, and no responsibility,” he told the BBC. “Impunity completely.”

The US State Department said that it was aware of the death of a US citizen and was “carefully monitoring the situation,” while the Trump administration said that it stood ready to provide consular assistance.

The Israeli embassy in Washington said the incident was under review and that an operational inquiry “must be completed as soon as possible.”

A spokesperson for the Israeli Defense Forces said troops were deployed to the scene and used “riot dispersal means to restore order,” adding that no IDF gunfire was reported.

The military confirmed that the incident remained under review and said that a continued presence would be maintained in the area to prevent further unrest.

Palestinians and human rights organizations say such reviews rarely lead to criminal accountability, arguing that Israeli authorities routinely fail to prosecute settlers accused of violence.

A US embassy spokesperson later said that Washington “condemns this violence,” as international concern continues to grow over conditions in the occupied West Bank.

Palestinians and human rights groups say Israeli authorities routinely fail to investigate or prosecute settlers accused of violence against civilians.

Those concerns were echoed this week by the UN, which warned that Israel’s actions in the occupied West Bank may amount to ethnic cleansing.

A UN human rights office report on Thursday said that Israeli settlement expansion, settler attacks and military operations have increasingly displaced Palestinian communities, with dozens of villages reportedly emptied since the start of the Gaza war.

The report also criticized Israeli military tactics in the northern West Bank, saying that they resembled warfare and led to mass displacement, while noting abuses by Palestinian security forces, including the use of unnecessary lethal force and the intimidation of critics.

Neither Israel’s foreign ministry nor the Palestinian Authority has commented on the findings.