Lebanon presidential candidate Frangieh holds ‘friendly’ talks with Saudi envoy

The meeting on Thursday was the first since the Maronite leader emerged as a presidential candidate with Hezbollah’s support. (@sleimanfrangieh)
Short Url
Updated 11 May 2023
Follow

Lebanon presidential candidate Frangieh holds ‘friendly’ talks with Saudi envoy

  • Ambassador Walid Bukhari urges Lebanese to ‘help themselves’ and regain international trust
  • EU representative highlights need to push economic recovery program as internal political divisions delay solution 

BEIRUT: Marada Movement leader and Hezbollah-backed presidential candidate Suleiman Frangieh said that he held a “friendly and quite excellent” meeting with Saudi Ambassador Walid Bukhari in Beirut.

The meeting on Thursday was the first since the Maronite leader emerged as a presidential candidate with Hezbollah’s support.

The two last met in November 2022 during the Saudi Embassy’s commemoration of the 33rd anniversary of the Taif Agreement in Beirut.

Bukhari visited Lebanese officials and met parliamentary blocs last week.

“Saudi Arabia does not place a veto on any presidential candidate, and it welcomes the agreement among the Lebanese to elect a new president” he said. “The most important thing is the president’s program and his work mechanism.”

After meeting with Bukhari on Thursday, Islamic Group MP Imad Al-Hout said that the Saudi ambassador was acting as a mediator to bring together points of view and was not suggesting any names.

Riyadh was not setting any conditions on Lebanon but was trying to help it carry out reforms, he added.

According to Al-Hout, the Saudi ambassador said that “no one will help Lebanon and the Lebanese if they do not help themselves and try to gain each other’s trust,” adding: Through reform measures, they can then gain the trust of the Arab and international community. This is all the Kingdom wants, nothing else.”

Bukhari also held a meeting on Thursday with the National Moderation parliamentary bloc, which includes former members of the Future Movement bloc.

The bloc presents itself as being apart from “political alignments.”

Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri had stopped calling parliament to convene to elect a president amid a sharp division among MPs over candidates.

Although the Saudi ambassador and other foreign envoys hold the Lebanese alone responsible for staging presidential elections, the internal division remains the same.

The EU representative to Lebanon Ralph Tarraf stressed the need for “Lebanon to quickly restore its ability to take political and administrative decisions and implement them — namely electing a new president, forming a new government, reaching agreements regarding the appointment of other senior officials and finding a solution to the economic crisis.”

He added: “Monetary and fiscal reforms would restore much-needed liquidity to the economy, stop the slide into an informal economy, and rebuild the ailing banking system.”

Tarraf said: “Implementing the measures agreed upon with the International Monetary Fund more than a year ago would open the way for an economic recovery program with the help of the IMF and the international community, including Europe.”

He said that the EU “is ready to enter into a constructive dialogue on all these issues, taking into account the limits imposed by our respect for Lebanon’s sovereignty, and it is up to the Lebanese to decide their fate; we cannot to impose solutions.”

Several opposition MPs held meetings in parliament on Thursday to search for a presidential hopeful after MP Michel Moawad was rejected by Hezbollah and its allies as a provocative candidate.

However, opposition MPs and those of major Christian blocs in parliament believe that Frangieh’s candidacy is also provocative.

Despite holding 11 election sessions, the most recent in January, the Lebanese Parliament has failed to elect a successor to former President Michel Aoun, whose term ended on Oct. 31, 2022.

According to the Lebanese constitution, the presidential candidate must obtain the votes of 86 out of 128 MPs in the first round, and whoever gets a majority of only 65 votes wins in the second round during the same session. But Parliament failed to secure a quorum for the second session, which is 86 MPs.

Since the last voting session on Jan. 11, Berri has refrained from setting a new date for an election session due to the vertical division within parliament, which, according to Berri, requires a “dialogue for consensus.”

This was rejected by parliamentary blocs opposing Hezbollah and its allies for fear of imposing the party’s candidate.

Berri insisted on Wednesday that the presidential elections must be completed by June 15.

“No one can predict where the country is heading amid the presidential vacuum,” he said.

Berri’s media office quoted him as saying: “It is not permissible for the Arab region to achieve understanding and harmony while we bicker internally and lose our unity and our rights.”

He stressed that the Taif Agreement —  if implemented — paves the way for Lebanon’s gradual transition to a civil state.

Berri said: “We cannot appoint a governor for the Banque du Liban or the central bank without the president having a say in this matter. The same applies to the position of the army command.”

Central Bank Gov. Riad Salameh’s term ends in July.

Caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati said on Monday that he would not agree to extend Salameh’s term, and rejected the idea that the Cabinet could appoint a successor amid the presidential vacuum.


Israeli settlers kill 19-year-old Palestinian-American, officials and witnesses say

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Israeli settlers kill 19-year-old Palestinian-American, officials and witnesses say

MUKHMAS, WEST BANK: Israeli settlers in the occupied West Bank shot and killed a Palestinian-American during an attack on a village, the Palestinian Health Ministry and a witness said Thursday.
Raed Abu Ali, a resident of Mukhmas, said a group of settlers came to the village Wednesday afternoon where they attacked a farmer, prompting clashes after residents intervened. Israeli forces later arrived, and during the violence armed settlers killed 19-year-old Nasrallah Abu Siyam and injured several others.
Abu Ali said that the army shot tear gas, sound grenades and live ammunition. Israel’s military acknowledged using what it called “riot dispersal methods” after receiving reports of Palestinians throwing rocks but denied that its forces fired during the clashes.
“When the settlers saw the army, they were encouraged and started shooting live bullets,” Abu Ali said. He added that they clubbed those injured with sticks after they had fallen to the ground.
The Palestinian Ministry of Health confirmed Abu Siyam’s death from critical wounds sustained Wednesday afternoon near the village east of Ramallah.
Abu Siyam’s killing is the latest in a surge in violence in the occupied West Bank. Israeli forces and settlers killed 240 Palestinians last year, according to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Palestinians killed 17 Israelis over the same period, six of whom were soldiers. The Palestinian Authority’s Wall and Settlement Resistance Commission said Abu Siyam was the first Palestinian killed by settlers in 2026.
Mukhmas and its surrounding area — most of which lies under Israeli civil and military administration — have become a hot spot for settler attacks, including arson and assaults, as well as the construction of outposts that Israeli law considers illegal.
The Israeli military said late Wednesday that unnamed suspects shot at Palestinians, who were later evacuated for medical treatment. It did not say whether any were arrested.
Abu Siyam’s mother told The Associated Press that he was an American citizen, making him the second Palestinian-American to be killed by Israeli settlers in less than a year.
A US embassy spokesperson said they “condemn this violence.”
Palestinians and rights groups say authorities routinely fail to prosecute settlers or hold them accountable for violence.
UN says Israel’s acts in West Bank may be ethnic cleansing

The UN human rights office on Thursday accused Israel of war crimes and said practices that displace Palestinians and alter the demographic composition of the occupied West Bank “raise concerns over ethnic cleansing.”
The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, citing findings collected November 2024 to October 2025, said Israel was engaged in “concerted and accelerating effort to consolidate annexation” while maintaining a system “to maintain oppression and domination of Palestinians.”
Residents of Palestinian villages and herding communities have been increasingly displaced as Israeli settlements and outposts expand. Since the start of the Israel–Hamas war, the Israeli rights group B’Tselem says about 45 Palestinian communities have been emptied out completely amid Israeli demolition orders and settler attacks.
Additionally, the office said Israeli military operations in the northern West Bank “employed means and methods designed for warfare” including lethal airstrikes and forcibly transferring civilians from their homes. It also said Israel “forbade” residents from returning to their homes in northern West Bank refugee camps. The operation, which Israel said was aimed against militants, displaced tens of thousands of Palestinians.
The report also accused Palestinian security forces of using unnecessary lethal force in the same areas, killing at least eight people, and noted that the Palestinian Authority had engaged in “intimidation, detention and ill-treatment of journalists, human rights defenders and other individuals deemed critical of its rule.”
Neither Israel’s Foreign Ministry nor the Palestinian Authority responded to requests for comment. Israel has repeatedly accused the UN rights office of anti-Israel bias.
Last year, the UN human rights monitor warned of what it called “an unfolding genocide in Gaza” with “conditions of life increasingly incompatible with (Palestinians’) continued existence.” Their report on Thursday also warned of demographic shifts in Gaza raising concerns of ethnic cleansing.
Report finds imprisoned Palestinian journalists were tortured
The Committee to Protect Journalists said that dozens of Palestinian journalists who were detained in Israel during the war in Gaza experienced conditions including physical assaults, forced stress positions, sensory deprivation, sexual violence and medical neglect.
CPJ documented the detention of at least 94 Palestinian journalists and one media worker during the war, from the West Bank, Gaza and Israel Thirty are still in custody, CPJ said.
Half of the journalists, the report found, were never charged with a crime and were held under Israel’s administrative detention system, which allows for suspects deemed security risks to be held for six months and can be renewed indefinitely.
Israel’s prison services did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the report, but rejected a similar report in January about conditions for Palestinian prisoners as “false allegations,” contending it operates lawfully, is subject to oversight and reviews complaints.
UN development chief says removing Gaza rubble will take 7 years
The vast destruction across Gaza will take at least seven years just to remove the rubble, according to the United Nations Development Program.
Alexander De Croo, the former Belgian prime minister who just returned from Gaza, said that the UNDP had removed just 0.5 percent of the rubble and people in Gaza are experiencing “the worst living conditions that I have ever seen.”
De Croo said 90 percent of Gaza’s 2.2 million people live in “very, very rudimentary tents” in the middle of the rubble, which poses health dangers and a danger from exploding weapons.
He said UNDP has been able to build 500 improved housing units, and has 4,000 more that are ready, but estimates the true need is 200,000 to 300,000 units. The units are meant to be used temporarily while reconstruction takes place. He called on Israel to expand access for goods and items needed for reconstruction and the private sector to begin development.