Yemeni jiu-jitsu champion aims to bring world title home to Middle East

1 / 3
Osamah Almarwai has seen huge success in the sport. (Supplied)
2 / 3
Osamah Almarwai has seen huge success in the sport. (Supplied)
3 / 3
Osamah Almarwai has seen huge success in the sport. (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 03 May 2023
Follow

Yemeni jiu-jitsu champion aims to bring world title home to Middle East

  • Osamah Almarwai is the first black belt IBJJF World No-Gi World Champion from the region
  • He will challenge title holder Mikey Musumeci (US) at the ONE Fight Night 10 event on May 5

Born to Yemeni parents and raised in Saudi Arabia, San Diego resident Osamah Almarwai has gone further than any Arab athlete in the Brazilian jiu-jitsu world. And this weekend, Almarwai looks to go one step further by becoming the Flyweight World Champion in submission grappling at the ONE Fight Night 10 event in Colorado this Friday.

The Singapore-based ONE FC will be staging their first-ever event in the US with a killer card in the mixed martial arts world. Three world title fights in MMA, Muay Thai and submission grappling are on the main card, and the world title fight of Musumeci vs. Almarwai is one of the most anticipated of the night.

Under the guidance of world-famous Andre Galvao at the Atos Academy in San Diego, Almarwai has been training in BJJ for almost 15 years. He started grappling while in high school in Saudi Arabia and continued while getting his bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering.

“I tried a lot of sports — I did judo, taekwondo, kung-fu, wrestling and jiu-jitsu — but what I loved about jiu-jitsu was the technical aspect,” said Almarwai. “In Japanese, jiu-jitsu means ‘the gentle art.’ It is a sport where the technique is more important than power or strength. As an engineer, I think that catered to my personality. We, engineers, sometimes are considered nerds, we love thinking and solving problems. I love BJJ because of the thinking element of it — I thought I could be successful at it.”

Almarwai, who also has a master’s degree in engineering management, was right, and has seen huge success in the sport. Within just a few short years he has become Number 1 IBJJF Rooster Weight No-Gi (2022), IBJJF World No-Gi Champion (2022), IBJJF Pan No-Gi Champion (2022), IBJJF American Nationals No-Gi Champion (2022), IBJJF World Master Champion (2022), Number 1 IBJJF Rooster Weight No-Gi (2021 brown), IBJJF World No-Gi Champion (2021 brown), IBJJF American Nationals No-Gi Champion (2021 brown) and hopes to add the highly coveted ONE Flyweight World Champion title in submission grappling on May 5.

The highly decorated and ONE Flyweight World Champion in submission grappling, Mikey Musumeci, will be one of Almarwai’s biggest tests. The American is considered by many to be the world’s top pound-for-pound submission grappler and was the one who called for the fight with Almarwai after the Yemeni won the Black Belt IBJJF World Championship last year.

“Mikey is one of the best in the world; he has been a black belt for a while. He asked for me because he wanted a challenge. And when I got the offer, I was super excited and accepted right away. I train with the best, and the only way to test yourself is to fight the best,” said the 31-year-old.

Almarwai has been training for this fight for three months, including one month during Ramadan. “I trained three times a day while fasting. It isn’t easy, especially not having water. I do a lot of cardio, so I need to rehydrate. But I am thankful I went through it well; I did all my training sessions and didn’t skip a single one. I was able to challenge my mind and body during this time,” he said.

But Ramadan was not the only difference in the camp. Almarwai is training for one of his biggest fights yet and against a very aggressive opponent. He has been working with the Ruotolo brothers under the guidance of his coach, Andre Galvao, at one of the best BJJ gyms in the country, in careful preparation for the fight.

“Mikey is one of the best grapplers in the world — he is the current champion. Usually, I am fighting in tournaments, so in a weight bracket I will fight multiple opponents. But with this fight, I am only having to focus on one fighter, Mikey. My team and I have been studying all his fights, his strengths and his weaknesses. I have been training hard, sometimes over two hours at a time. This helps make the 10-minute round easier in comparison. I am used to 10-minute rounds as a black belt — that is what we fight in matches. So, I know how to pace myself and control my energy,” he said.

This is the first event in the US by ONE FC, with fans already showing a huge appetite for Almarwai’s debut on the night. “To be one of the main cards and fight for a world title is a huge honor for me. The event is going to be exciting. I expect we will go hard at it; it will be 10 minutes of non-stop action. My prediction is that I will get the submission. I have the best team and I have the right people around me,” he said.

“Once I win the title, I want to face him again in my backyard — the Middle East. To take the title in his backyard, bring it home and face him again there, would be ideal,” the Yemeni grappler added.

The talented IBJJF No-Gi World Champion will try to capture another first for his Middle Eastern heritage and the pressure to show the world that champions do come from countries like Yemen and Saudi Arabia is what drives Almarwai every day.

“I do feel a lot of pressure. I have been getting a lot of love and support from so many people back home, and in the GCC, as well as the US. But I have dealt with this type of pressure before when I fought for my black belt, and it drives me. To show the world that we have champions in the Middle East, and we can win world titles,” he said.

“Although I reside in San Diego and train here, I hope to return home one day and open a fight center, and maybe inspire some Middle Eastern world champions.”

ONE Fight Night 10 airs live on Prime Video at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT on Friday, May 5.

After his fight, Almarwai will go straight back into the gym on Monday to begin training for the IBJJF World Championships set to take place in California from June 1-4.


Al-Ahli survive first-half scare on way to win that moves them joint-top of Saudi Pro League

Updated 24 min 28 sec ago
Follow

Al-Ahli survive first-half scare on way to win that moves them joint-top of Saudi Pro League

  • Bottom-of-the-table Al-Najma shock their hosts with 1-0 half-time lead but hat-trick from Ivan Toney helps them recover and claim an important 4-1 victory
  • In an entertaining Eastern Province derby, Al-Ettifaq raced into a 3-0 lead inside 36 minutes and survived a spirited Al-Fateh comeback attempt to eventually triumph 4-3

DAMMAM: Matchday 22 in the Saudi Pro League began with what was, eventually, a comfortable victory for Al-Ahli over relegation-battling Al-Najma at home.

However, the hosts endured a tough first 45, during which they fell 1-0 behind and missed a penalty, before scoring four in the second half against visitors who were reduced to 10 men in the 58th minute.

Al-Najma arrived in Jeddah with some confidence, fresh from their first-ever victory in the Pro League after a 2-1 home win against Al-Kholood on Saturday. And despite facing an in-form Al-Ahli, they controlled the tempo early on, forcing their hosts to play on the back foot for much of the opening half hour.

The architect of Al-Najma’s bright start was head coach Nestor El-Maestro, who returned to the Saudi Pro League this month five years after a spell with Al-Taawoun. After guiding his new club to their first win in 21 matches, a result against Al-Ahli would have provided the perfect spark to ignite their survival bid.

In 2022, during his time at relegation-battling Goztepe in the Turkish Super Lig, El-Maestro said: “Life is too short to spend defending in a low block.” That philosophy certainly defined the bold approach adopted by Al-Najma against the reigning Asian Champions League Elite and Saudi Super Cup holders.

Initially, the strategy paid off. David Tijanic beat two Al-Ahli defenders with a deft move on the left flank in the 27th minute before releasing Lazaro, who guided the ball past Edouard Mendy to hand the visitors an unexpected lead.

As Al-Ahli immediately pushed for an equalizer, Ivan Toney appeared to be brought down in the box in the 29th minute, only for the referee to wave away the penalty appeals. Moments later, however, a handball inside Al-Najma’s area led to a lengthy review by the video assistant referee and, eventually, a spot-kick for the hosts.

However Toney, seeking his 21st goal of the campaign, and with a perfect record from the spot for Al-Ahli, watched as his penalty was saved by Victor Braga. Toney pounced on the rebound but the keeper recovered to claim the ball and preserve the lead.

Braga continued to frustrate the hosts with several key saves before clattering into an opponent on the verge of half-time. The referee initially awarded a second penalty to Al-Ahli, but a VAR review overturned the decision and Al-Najma went into the break still in front.

Al-Ahli knew victory was essential at this pivotal point of the season, with city rivals Al-Ittihad facing Al-Hilal in a clash on Saturday that could have a large bearing on the ultimate outcome of the title race.

And their response after the interval was swift, with Riyad Mahrez delivering a dipping cross that was met by Valentin Atangana, who headed the equalizer in the 48th minute.

Atangana was fouled 10 minutes later when Felippe Cardoso pushed him in the face. The Brazilian striker had already been booked and the referee gave him his marching orders.

With the numerical advantage, Al-Ahli asserted their control over the game. This paid off in the 69th minute when Roger Ibanez picked out Mahrez with a measured. long pass over the top. The Algerian cushioned a first-time lay-off into the path of Toney, and the English striker finished the move in clinical style.

Toney added his second of the evening, and 22nd of the season, in the 87th minute, when he met a Matheus Goncalves cross at the far post with a first-time finish. The Englishman completed his hat-trick in the fourth minute of stoppage time after Al-Najma conceded their second penalty of the night.

The win moved Al-Ahli level with Al-Hilal, at least for now, at the top of the league on 53 points. Meanwhile, El-Maestro’s task at Al-Najma grows more difficult, as Al-Riyadh’s 2-0 victory over Al-Kholood in Qassim leaves his side eight points adrift of safety.

Elsewhere, the Eastern Province derby between Al-Ettifaq and Al-Fateh produced one of the season’s most entertaining encounters. Home side Al-Ettifaq raced into a 3-0 lead inside 36 minutes, with goals from Khalid Al-Ghannam and Georginio Wijnaldum, plus an own goal, putting them firmly in control.

North African duo Mourad Batna and Sofiane Bendebka dragged Al-Fateh back into the contest with goals at the start and end of stoppage time in the first half.

Madallah Al-Olayan restored a two-goal cushion for Al-Ettifaq in 48th minute, but Batna struck again in the 71st minute to set up a tense finale. However, Al-Ettifaq held on for a 4-3 victory in Dammam.

On Friday, Al-Okhdood host Al-Qadsiah, Al-Taawoun face visiting Al-Fayha, and Al-Shabab travel to Khamis Mushait to face Damac. All games will kick off at 10 p.m. thanks to the league’s unified Ramadan schedule.