Thousands of Filipino Muslims gather in Manila to celebrate Eid

1 / 2
Filipino Muslims gather for Eid Al-Fitr prayers at the Quirino Grandstand in Manila in observance on April 22, 2023. (AN Photo)
2 / 2
Filipino Muslims gather for Eid Al-Fitr prayers at the Quirino Grandstand in Manila in observance on April 22, 2023. (AN Photo)
Short Url
Updated 22 April 2023
Follow

Thousands of Filipino Muslims gather in Manila to celebrate Eid

  • There are around 200,000 Muslims living in the Philippine capital
  • Muslims constitute five percent of the mostly Catholic population

MANILA: Thousands of Filipino Muslims gathered in Manila on Saturday for Eid Al-Fitr prayers followed by picnics to celebrate the end of Ramadan.

In the predominantly Catholic Philippines, Muslims constitute roughly five percent of the country’s population of 110 million. Most of them live on the island of Mindanao and the Sulu archipelago in the country’s south, as well as in the central-western province of Palawan.

There are about 200,000 Muslims living in the Philippine capital and those who came to the Quirino Grandstand of Luneta Park came to uphold the tradition of Eid gatherings at the historic ground.

The gatherings began many years ago as the Muslim community grew and Luneta Park was chosen in an attempt to accommodate all of its members on the special day marking the end of a month of fasting.

HIGHLIGHT

Muslims constitute roughly 5 percent of the country’s population of 110 million. There are about 200,000 Muslims living in the Philippine capital and those who came to the Quirino Grandstand of Luneta Park came to uphold the tradition of Eid gatherings at the historic ground.

“There was a need for an open space and that’s where it all started ... There was a request to allow the holding of congregational prayers during Eid in Luneta,” Shey Sakaluran Mohammad, head of the Manila Office of Muslim Affairs, told Arab News. “There are 27 mosques in Manila but, due to the growing population, they could no longer accommodate all the faithful.”

After Eid prayers on Saturday, participants joined together in a picnic where food was brought both individually and by NGOs, while street vendors sold snacks, toys and colorful balloons to eager children.

Zenaida Alao, a resident of Paranaque City, has been participating in Eid celebrations at Luneta Park for years.

“Every year since 2016 we’ve been coming here to pray during Eid, the whole family,” she told Arab News, as she bought a balloon for her niece.

For Dr. Potre D. Diampuan from the Women’s Interfaith Network, Eid is a time of togetherness, at which to share joy and blessings.

“Everybody should be happy,” she said. “It’s the time to get together, to visit friends, relatives, families ... It is highly encouraged to congregate in one huge gathering ... It always brings out the unity in the umma.”

 


Dozens of film figures condemn Berlin Film Festival ‘silence’ on Gaza

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Dozens of film figures condemn Berlin Film Festival ‘silence’ on Gaza

  • The signatories to the open letter said they were “appalled” by the festival’s “institutional silence“
  • The festival has been hit by controversy over Gaza several times in recent years

BERLIN: More than 80 film industry figures including Oscar-winning actors Javier Bardem and Tilda Swinton issued a statement on Tuesday slamming the Berlin Film Festival’s “silence” on Gaza.
The signatories to the open letter, sent to AFP, said they were “appalled” by the festival’s “institutional silence” and “dismayed” at its “involvement in censoring artists who oppose Israel’s ongoing genocide against Palestinians in Gaza.”
Their statement came after the Berlinale’s jury president, German director Wim Wenders, answered a question on Gaza last week by saying: “We cannot really enter the field of politics.”
Prominent directors who signed Tuesday’s letter, coordinated by the Film Workers for Palestine collective, include British filmmaker Mike Leigh and the American Adam McKay.
The signatories include many artists who have presented work at the Berlin Film Festival. Swinton was herself last year awarded its prestigious Honorary Golden Bear award.
They said they “fervently disagree” with Wenders’s comments, arguing that filmmaking and politics cannot be separated.
“Just as the festival has made clear statements in the past about atrocities carried out against people in Iran and Ukraine, we call on the Berlinale to fulfil its moral duty and clearly state its opposition to Israel’s genocide,” the letter adds.
The signatories took exception not only to the Berlinale’s stance on Gaza, but also “the German state’s key role in enabling” Israel’s actions.

- ‘Media storm’ -

The festival has been hit by controversy over Gaza several times in recent years.
When asked about Germany’s support for Israel at a press conference on Thursday, Wenders said filmmakers had “to stay out of politics.”
“We have to do the work of people, not the work of politicians,” he said.
Fellow jury member Ewa Puszczynska said it was a “little bit unfair” to expect the jury to take a direct stance on the issue.
Their comments had already sparked a backlash. Award-winning Indian novelist Arundhati Roy canceled a planned appearance at the festival, saying she was “shocked and disgusted” at the jury members’ comments.
On Saturday, the Berlinale put out a statement defending Wenders from the “media storm,” indicating that his remarks had been taken out of context.
Festival director Tricia Tuttle said that artists “are free to exercise their right of free speech in whatever way they choose” and should not “be expected to speak on every political issue raised to them unless they want to.”
In 2024, the festival’s documentary award went to “No Other Land,” which follows the dispossession of Palestinian communities in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.
German government officials criticized “one-sided” remarks about Gaza by the directors of that film and others at that year’s awards ceremony.
The war in Gaza was sparked by Hamas’s October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, which resulted in the deaths of 1,221 people, according to an AFP tally based on official Israeli figures.
Israel’s retaliation has left at least 71,000 people dead in Gaza, according to the health ministry in the Hamas-run territory, whose figures the United Nations considers reliable.