PCB boss offers Babar Azam conditional backing as all-format skipper

Pakistan's aptain Babar Azam (C) leads his players onto the field ahead of the ICC men's Twenty20 World Cup 2022 semi-final cricket match between New Zealand and Pakistan at the Sydney Cricket Ground in Sydney on November 9, 2022. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 10 April 2023
Follow

PCB boss offers Babar Azam conditional backing as all-format skipper

  • PCB chief Najam Sethi says head coach, selectors to guide his decision on Babar Azam's captaincy in all formats
  • Azam's captaincy has come under fire from fans and critics after Pakistan's disappointing last two home seasons

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chief Najam Sethi on Monday offered conditional support to the national cricket squad's all-format captain Babar Azam, urging fans to back the skipper in the "interest of the national team."

Azam, widely regarded as one of the best batters in modern-day cricket, has increasingly come under fire over his captaincy after Pakistan's disappointing last two home seasons. Over the 2022-23 home season, Pakistan lost 3-0 against England in Tests and 4-3 in T20Is, drew 0-0 in a Test series and lost 2-1 in an ODI series against New Zealand.

However, in the shortest format of the game, Pakistan fared well under Azam's leadership. It won a tri-nation series last year in New Zealand and reached the final of the ICC T20 World Cup 2022 in England. 

After taking over last year from his predecessor Ramiz Raja, Sethi has made sweeping changes to the cricket board's management. Local media has been rife with speculation that the PCB boss intends to strip Azam from captaincy in at least one format. 

"For months media and cricketing circles have been discussing pros and cons of retaining Babar Azam as captain in all formats of the game," Sethi wrote on Twitter. 

"Since this decision is ultimately Chairman's, I have sought views of Selection Committees headed by Shahid Afridi and now Haroon Rashid," he added. "Both Committees thought matter merited discussion but both later came to the conclusion that the status quo should be retained."

Sethi said his final decision in this regard would be subject to the "success or failure of status quo," adding that the selectors, head coach and director cricket operations would also help him come to a decision on whether Azam should continue as Pakistan's all-format skipper or not. 

"I expect they will be in the best position to advise me. Therefore we should support Babar and not make matter controversial in interests of national team," he concluded.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.