7th EU-UNRWA Strategic Dialogue held in Brussels

UNRWA and the EU held their 7th Strategic Dialogue in Brussels, Belgium. (UNRWA)
Short Url
Updated 08 March 2023
Follow

7th EU-UNRWA Strategic Dialogue held in Brussels

  • Meetings focused on UNRWA services in the West Bank, Gaza, Syria, Lebanon and Jordan

BRUSSELS: The 7th Strategic Dialogue between the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) and the EU was held on Thursday in Brussels.

The strategic dialogue is an annual forum for both organizations to assess and evaluate their cooperation in line with their signed joint declaration for 2021-2024. 

During the meeting, participants discussed the challenging political and financial environment in which UNRWA operates and agreed to provide the agency with adequate and sustainable funding so that it can continue to fulfill its mandate and contribute to regional stability. 

“As UNRWA approaches its 75th anniversary, it is reflecting on how to remain efficient, impactful and relevant to the wellbeing and human development of Palestine refugees and, consequently to their feeling safe and secure”,  UNRWA  Deputy Commissioner-General Leni Stenseth said. 

“The agency is rolling out ambitious modernization plans, including on digitalization, to ensure that its services, namely education, health and social protection are effective and high quality. 

“This dialogue is an opportunity for UNRWA and the EU, one of our strongest partners, to reflect on our common commitment to the rights of Palestine refugees and find ways to help fulfill them despite the acute financial challenges that the agency faces,” Stenseth said.

As part of the strategic dialogue, the UNRWA delegation met with representatives of various European institutions, such as the European Commission and the European Parliament, as well as civil society organizations. 

All meetings focused on the role played by UNRWA, and the stability its services help to bring to the lives of refugees in the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, Gaza, Syria, Lebanon and Jordan.

 


The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

Updated 15 February 2026
Follow

The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

  • Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade

DAMASCUS: The UN refugee agency said Sunday that a large number of residents of a camp housing family members of suspected Daesh group militants have left and the Syrian government plans to relocate those who remain.
Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR’s representative in Syria, said in a statement that the agency “has observed a significant decrease in the number of residents in Al-Hol camp in recent weeks.”
“Syrian authorities have informed UNHCR of their plan to relocate the remaining families to Akhtarin camp in Aleppo Governorate (province) and have requested UNHCR’s support to assist the population in the new camp, which we stand ready to provide,” he said.
He added that UNHCR “will continue to support the return and reintegration of Syrians who have departed Al-Hol, as well as those who remain.”
The statement did not say how residents had left the camp or how many remain. Many families are believed to have escaped either during the chaos when government forces captured the camp from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces last month or afterward.
There was no immediate statement from the Syrian government and a government spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.
At its peak after the defeat of IS in Syria in 2019, around 73,000 people were living at Al-Hol. Since then, the number has declined with some countries repatriating their citizens. The camp’s residents are mostly children and women, including many wives or widows of IS members.
The camp’s residents are not technically prisoners and most have not been accused of crimes, but they have been held in de facto detention at the heavily guarded facility.
Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade. A ceasefire deal has since ended the fighting.
Separately, thousands of accused IS militants who were held in detention centers in northeastern Syria have been transferred to Iraq to stand trial under an agreement with the US
The US military said Friday that it had completed the transfer of more than 5,700 adult male IS suspects from detention facilities in Syria to Iraqi custody.
Iraq’s National Center for International Judicial Cooperation said a total of 5,704 suspects from 61 countries who were affiliated with IS — most of them Syrian and Iraqi — were transferred from prisons in Syria. They are now being interrogated in Iraq.