Neymar to undergo season-ending surgery on right ankle

Neymar gets injured against Lille at The Parc des Princes Stadium in Paris on Feb. 19, 2023. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 07 March 2023
Follow

Neymar to undergo season-ending surgery on right ankle

  • Neymar picked up his latest injury last month in a 4-3 win over Lille in the French league

PARIS: Neymar will undergo season-ending surgery on his damaged right ankle and will be out for up to four months, Paris Saint-Germain said on Monday.

Neymar will miss PSG’s Champions League match at Bayern Munich on Wednesday and will be operated on in the coming days at a hospital in Doha, the Qatari-backed club said.

“Neymar Jr. has presented several episodes of instability of the right ankle in recent years,” PSG said in a statement. “Following his last sprain on Feb. 20, the Paris Saint-Germain medical staff recommended a ligament repair operation to avoid a major risk of recurrence. All the experts consulted have confirmed this necessity.”

Neymar picked up his latest injury last month in a 4-3 win over Lille in the French league. He also injured his right ankle in Brazil’s opening match at last year’s World Cup in Qatar, but the forward was able to return later in the tournament.

Neymar has not played for PSG since the Lille game when he was taken off on a stretcher, but his absence has coincided with his team’s resurgence as Kylian Mbappe and Lionel Messi raised their levels.

Neymar has been sidelined by foot, groin, rib and ankle injuries since joining the club for a record €222 million (then $263 million) from Barcelona in 2017.

PSG trail Bayern 1-0 ahead of the second leg in the round of 16 of the Champions League. PSG will travel to Germany with stalwart defender Marquinhos, who trained with his teammates on Monday and was included in the 22-player group.

Marquinhos was doubtful after coming off injured in Saturday’s win over Nantes in the French league. Right back Achraf Hakim was also included after recovering from a hamstring injury despite being issued preliminary charges of rape last week.
 


Argentina football exec barred from leaving country in tax probe

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Argentina football exec barred from leaving country in tax probe

  • Claudio “Chiqui” Tapia was summoned to appear in court on March 5
  • Other AFA executives were also slapped with a travel ban

BUENOS AIRES: A court has barred the president of the Argentine Football Association (AFA) from leaving the country and summoned him to testify in a tax evasion case, according to the ruling cited by media Thursday.
Claudio “Chiqui” Tapia was summoned to appear in court on March 5 over a complaint filed by Argentina’s ARCA tax collection agency over alleged tax evasion and misappropriation of social security funds.
Other AFA executives were also slapped with a travel ban “in light of the seriousness of the events under investigation,” according to the summons.
Authorities are investigating whether the AFA illegally withheld pension contributions for players and employees and failed to pay taxes due between March 2024 and September 2025.
In December, police raided the association’s headquarters in Buenos Aires just months before the world champions defend their title at the FIFA World Cup 2026.
The AFA insists it is the victim of a smear campaign amid a dispute with a businessman over the organization of friendly matches for the Argentine national soccer team.
The association claims the businessman is at the root of the complaints against it, with the knowledge of the government of President Javier Milei.
Milei favors turning football clubs, which are non-profit associations, into publicly traded sports companies.
AFA rules do not allow this.