Russia’s Wagner Group has suffered over 30,000 casualties in Ukraine, says US

Graves of Russian Wagner mercenary group fighters are seen in a cemetery near the village of Bakinskaya in Krasnodar region, Russia, on January 22, 2023. (REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 18 February 2023
Follow

Russia’s Wagner Group has suffered over 30,000 casualties in Ukraine, says US

  • Half of the overall deaths occurred since mid-December, as fighting in Bakhmut intensified, according to US intel estimates
  • 90 percent of Wagner group fighters killed in Ukraine since December were convicts, says White House NSC spokesman

WASHINGTON: The Russian mercenary company Wagner Group has suffered more than 30,000 casualties since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine on Feb. 24, with about 9,000 of those fighters killed in action, the White House said on Friday.

The US estimates that 90 percent of Wagner group soldiers killed in Ukraine since December were convicts, White House National Security Council (NSC) spokesman John Kirby told reporters at a regular briefing.

Half of the overall deaths occurred since mid-December, as fighting in the eastern Ukrainian city of Bakhmut intensified, an NSC spokesperson said, citing newly downgraded intelligence.

Kirby claimed last December that the Wagner group has 50,000 fighters in Ukraine, including 10,000 contractors and 40,000 convicts. 

Putin started deploying the private mercenary army run by his crony Yevgeny Prigozhin in mid-2022 when Russia's regular troops were pushed back by Ukrainian forces in areas they have initially captured.

A New York Times report on Feb. 2, 2023, citing American and other Western officials, said the overall number of Russian troops killed and wounded in Ukraine was approaching 200,000. 

White House spokesman Kirby said the Wagner group had made incremental gains in and around Bakhmut over the last few days, but those had taken many months to achieve and came at a “devastating cost that is not sustainable.”

“It is possible that they may end up being successful in Bakhmut, but it will prove of no real worth to them because it is of no real strategic value,” he said, adding that Ukrainian forces would maintain strong defensive lines across the Donbas region.

Kirby told reporters that Wagner continued to rely heavily on convicts, who were sent to war with no training or equipment, despite recent comments from Wagner’s founder Prigozhin that he had stopped recruiting prisoners to fight in Ukraine. 

 

 


Macron asks Meloni not to ‘comment’ on France’s affairs after activist remark

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Macron asks Meloni not to ‘comment’ on France’s affairs after activist remark

  • The killing has fueled political tensions in France ahead of municipal elections in March
  • Meloni said the killing of Deranque was “a wound for all of Europe“

NEW DELHI: President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday called on Giorgia Meloni to stop “commenting on what is happening in other people’s countries,” after the Italian prime minister expressed shock at the fatal beating of a far-right activist in France.
Quentin Deranque, 23, died from head injuries after being attacked by at least six people last week on the sidelines of a far-right protest at a university in the city of Lyon. Most of the 11 suspects detained are from far left movements, according to a source close to the investigation.
The killing has fueled political tensions in France ahead of municipal elections in March and the 2027 presidential race, in which the far-right National Rally (RN) party is seen as having its best chance yet at winning the top job.
On Wednesday, Meloni said the killing of Deranque was “a wound for all of Europe.”
“Let everyone stay in their own lane,” Macron shot back in New Delhi, on the sidelines of an official visit to India.
Macron also said there was no place in France “for movements that adopt and legitimize violence.”
“Nothing can justify violent action — neither on one side nor the other, and not even in a head-to-head confrontation that is deadly for the republic,” he said.
Macron is “concerned about the situation, which he is closely monitoring,” a member of the French president’s team said earlier Thursday.
“We must avoid any spiral of violence,” they said.
Eleven people — eight men and three women — were taken into custody as part of the investigation into “intentional homicide.”
Among them are two parliamentary assistants to Raphael Arnault, a member of parliament from the hard-left France Unbowed (LFI) party, as well as a former intern.
A lawyer for Deranque’s parents said they called “for calm and restraint.”
“The family condemns any call for violence. Any form of political violence,” Fabien Rajon told broadcaster RTL.
On Wednesday, Jordan Bardella, head of the far-right National Rally (RN), accused Macron and former prime ministers Gabriel Attal and Edouard Philippe of boosting the hard-left.