Black box of Nepal plane found at crash site

1 / 3
Rescue teams retrieve bodies from the wreckage at the crash site of an aircraft carrying 72 people in Pokhara, Nepal, on January 15, 2023. (REUTERS)
2 / 3
Rescuers and onlookers gather at the site of the Yeti Airlines plane crash in Pokhara on January 15, 2023. (AFP)
3 / 3
Rescuers inspect the site of a plane crash in Pokhara that killed at least 68 on January 15, 2023.(Yunish Gurung / AFP)
Short Url
Updated 16 January 2023
Follow

Black box of Nepal plane found at crash site

  • Rescuers had recovered 68 bodies out of the 72 people onboard the Yeti Airlines plane that crashed in the tourist city of Pokhara

KATMANDU : Both cockpit voice recorder and flight data recorder of crashed nepal aircraft were found as rescuers resumed searching on Monday in Nepal for four people still missing after the Himalayan nation’s deadliest plane crash in 30 years, officials said.

Rescuers had recovered 68 bodies out of the 72 people onboard the ATR 72 aircraft operated by Yeti Airlines that crashed in the tourist city of Pokhara minutes before landing on Sunday in clear weather.
The plane, on a scheduled flight from Katmandu to Pokhara, gateway to scenic Annapurna mountain range, was carrying 57 Nepalis, five Indians, four Russians, two South Koreans, and one person each from Argentina, Ireland, Australia and France.
Pokhara police official Ajay K.C. said the search-and-rescue operation, which stopped because of darkness on Sunday, had resumed.

“We will take out the five bodies from the gorge and search for the remaining four that are still missing,” he told Reuters.
The other 63 bodies had been sent to a hospital, he said.
Rescuers were also searching for the black boxes — a cockpit voice recorder and flight data recorder — as they looked for survivors, said Jagannath Niroula, a spokesperson for Nepal’s civil aviation authority.
Nepal has declared a day of national mourning on Monday and set up a panel to investigate the disaster and suggest measures to avoid such incidents in future.
Authorities said bodies will be handed over to families after identification and examination.
Nearly 350 people have died since 2000 in plane or helicopter crashes in Nepal — home to eight of the world’s 14 highest mountains, including Everest — where sudden weather changes can make for hazardous conditions.


Morocco's cereals harvest expected to double after wet winter

Updated 13 sec ago
Follow

Morocco's cereals harvest expected to double after wet winter

RABAT: Moroccan grains traders and millers ‌expect Morocco to double its cereals harvest this season after abundant winter rains, with limited impact from floods in the northwestern plains of the North African country, which is ​a major grains importer.
Industry leaders plan to add domestic wheat to strategic reserves this year "without compromising imports", said Moulay Abdelkader Alaoui, head of the federation of industrial millers FNM, who expects a domestic harvest of 6 million metric tons.
"We expect a good cereals harvest this year of 8 to 9 million tons, including around 5 million tons of soft wheat," Omar Yacoubi, head of Morocco's wheat trading federation FNCL, told Reuters. The previous harvest was ‌4.4 million ‌tons, including 2.4 million tons of soft wheat.
Morocco traditionally ​cancels ‌its ⁠wheat ​import subsidy ⁠and reinstates customs duties to protect the local harvest.
But this year importers, millers and traders have asked the government to extend the subsidy window to June 1, instead of May 1, to compensate for costs incurred due to bad weather.
Rainfall this winter was 34% above the 30-year average and triple the previous year's levels, while dam filling rates improved to 70% from about 25%, ⁠agriculture ministry data shows, while the total grain-planted area rose ‌to 3.7 million hectares, from 2.6 million the ‌year before.
Flooding in the fertile northwestern plains, ​which destroyed 110,000 hectares, had a "localised" ‌impact, Yacoubi said, with wheat losses to be offset by higher yields ‌in larger plains.
DELAYED SHIPPING
Large swells and storms since mid-December have disrupted port operations at Casablanca and Jorf Lasfar, which handle 80% of Morocco's wheat imports.
Shipping delays have weighed heavily on importers, even as international wheat prices remain below the subsidy eligibility threshold, Yacoubi ‌said, adding that as of this week, 70 ships carrying 1 million tons of wheat were queued outside ⁠ports, leading to low ⁠stock levels.
Moroccan importers are paying about $20,000 per day for ships waiting offshore, pushing them to request an extension of the government subsidy programme.
Traditionally, only half of Morocco's harvest reaches industrial mills because small farmers retain wheat for their own use, but Alaoui said this year's plentiful rainfall should improve crop quality and encourage more collection.
French exporters expect to supply about two-thirds of Morocco's soft wheat import needs, or 3.5 million tons.
From June 2025 to January 2026, Morocco imported 7 million tons of grains, up 12% year-on-year, including 3.2 million tons of soft wheat.
During the same period, France topped Morocco's soft ​wheat suppliers with 2.26 million tons, ​followed by Argentina with 233,144 tons, Russia with 227,070 tons, Germany with 120,084 tons and the U.S. with 94,688 tons.