In top commanders’ huddle, army vows to eliminate militants ‘without any distinction’

Pakistan’s army chief, General Syed Asim Munir, presides over the 254th Corps Com­manders Conference held at the General Head­qua­rters in Rawalpindi, Pakistan, on December 28, 2022. (Photo courtesy: ISPR)
Short Url
Updated 28 December 2022
Follow

In top commanders’ huddle, army vows to eliminate militants ‘without any distinction’

  • Pakistan’s army chief General Syed Asim Munir presides over Corps Commanders Conference
  • Army issues statement amid an uptick in militant attacks by Pakistani Taliban in recent days

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Army on Wednesday vowed to fight against militants “without any distinction,” the military’s media wing said, as the country grapples with a resurgence in militant attacks over the past couple of weeks. 

The statement by the military comes after a powerful car bomb detonated in a residential area in Islamabad last week. The Pakistani Taliban have stepped up attacks on security forces since November, when they unilaterally ended a months-long cease-fire with the country’s government.

Earlier this month, Pakistani Taliban detainees at a counterterrorism center in the northwestern town of Bannu overpowered guards, confiscated police weapons and took hostages before Pakistani commandos stormed the compound and retook the facility. 

Pakistan’s army chief, General Syed Asim Munir, on Wednesday presided over the 254th Corps Com­manders Conference held at the General Head­qua­rters in Rawalpindi. During the meeting, the army’s huddle held a “comprehensive review of professional & organizational matters of the Army,” the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said. 

“It was resolved to fight against terrorists without any distinction & eliminate this menace as per aspirations of people of Pakistan,” the military’s media wing wrote on Twitter. 

This week, the embassies of Saudi Arabia, the United States and Australia have announced new security adviseries for their residents living and working in Islamabad, advising caution in light of the uptick in militant attacks. 

Militants have also increased attacks in Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province where last Sunday, multiple attacks killed six troops and wounded 17 civilians.


Pakistan says it struck TTP, Daesh militant camps near Afghan border, Kabul alleges civilian deaths

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan says it struck TTP, Daesh militant camps near Afghan border, Kabul alleges civilian deaths

  • Islamabad says it targeted seven militant hideouts in “retributive response” to attacks 
  • Afghan Taliban accuse Pakistan of bombing civilians in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces 

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan said on Saturday it carried out “intelligence-based selective targeting” against militant camps near the Afghan border after a series of attacks inside the country, while the Afghan Taliban accused Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the assault.

Pakistan has faced a renewed surge in militant violence in recent months, particularly in its northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and two major attacks in the capital, Islamabad. Authorities say many of the attacks have been carried out by the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and allied groups that Islamabad alleges are operating from sanctuaries in Afghanistan. Kabul denies this. 

According to Pakistan’s information ministry, recent incidents included a suicide bombing at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad, separate attacks in Bajaur and Bannu, and another recent incident in Bannu during the holy month of

Ramadan, which started earlier this week. The government said it had “conclusive evidence” linking the attacks to militants directed by leadership based in Afghanistan.

“Pakistan in a retributive response, has carried out intelligence based selective targeting of seven terrorist camps and hideouts belonging to Pakistani Taliban ... and its affiliates and ISKP [Daesh] at the border region of Pakistan

Afghan border with precision and accuracy,” the Pakistani information ministry said in a statement on Feb. 21.

The statement, which did not specify the exact nature of the attacks, said it had hit camps of the “Fitna al Khwarij (FAK),” a term Pakistani authorities use for the TTP, as well as the Islamic State Khorasan Province (ISKP), the regional affiliate of the Daesh group.

Islamabad has repeatedly urged Afghanistan’s Taliban authorities to take action against militants it says are using Afghan territory to plan and launch attacks inside Pakistan. The latest statement said Kabul had “failed to undertake any substantive action” despite prior requests.

In an X post, Kabul government spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said Pakistani forces had violated Afghan territory.

“Pakistani special military circles have once again trespassed into Afghan territory,” Mujahid said. “Last night, they bombed our civilian compatriots in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces, martyring and wounding dozens of people, including women and children.”

The Afghan Taliban’s claims of civilian casualties could not be independently verified. Pakistan did not immediately comment on the allegation that civilians had been killed in the strikes. 

Tensions between Islamabad and Kabul have escalated since the Afghan Taliban returned to power in 2021. Pakistan says cross-border militant attacks have increased since then and has accused the Taliban of failing to honor commitments under the 2020 Doha Agreement to prevent Afghan soil from being used for attacks against other countries. The Taliban deny allowing such activity and have previously rejected similar accusations.

Saturday’s exchange of accusations marks one of the most direct confrontations between the two neighbors in recent months and risks further straining already fragile ties along the volatile border.