Defence minister blames provincial government for Bannu siege, says police, army came to rescue

Pakistani Defense Minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif briefs the media in Islamabad, Pakistan, on September 7, 2017. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 20 December 2022
Follow

Defence minister blames provincial government for Bannu siege, says police, army came to rescue

  • Khawaja Asif says entire provincial government was in Lahore instead of focusing on Bannu operation
  • KP official says security forces have completed operation at Bannu CTD facility, all ‘terrorists’ taken out 

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Defense Minister Khawaja Asif said on Tuesday it was only the police and the army who foiled an attempt by militants to continue siege of a counterterrorism department (CTD) facility in the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province after taking hostages there, adding the provincial government was nowhere part of the efforts to retake the compound. 

Militants affiliated with the outlawed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) on Sunday evening took control of the facility, where they had been detained, and took several security officials hostage. The militants demanded safe passage to Afghanistan. 

A spokesperson for the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government said authorities tried negotiating with the militants, but the talks didn’t yield any results. Pakistani forces launched an operation Tuesday afternoon to regain control of the facility. 

Asif told reporters in Islamabad that the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government officials were busy politicking in Lahore, while militants had taken control of the CTD compound in Bannu. 

“It was only the police at the CTD and Pakistan Army that intervened and foiled the attempt of [militants] to continue the siege of the compound,” the minister said on Tuesday evening. 

“This incident happened [in Bannu] but the saddest part is that the entire KP government was sitting in Zaman Park Lahore (the residence of former premier Imran Khan) and there was no authority in the province to take care of the situation.” 

Asif was referring to the gathering of leadership of Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party, which rules the Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa provinces, in Lahore, after it announced dissolution of the two provincial assemblies on December 23 to pressure the government into conducting a nationwide snap election. 

The minister said around 33 “terrorists” affiliated with different groups had been detained at the CTD facility and narrated how the compound was taken over by them. 

“One of the terrorists, on the pretext of using toilet, hit a police constable with a brick and martyred him. As a result, the 32 terrorists detained therein overtook the compound,” the defense minister said. 

Asif said he would provide details of the operation later. 

Babar Khan Swati, an adviser at the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa home department, told Arab News the operation against militants had been completed. 

“The job is done,” Swati told Arab News on Tuesday. “The operation has been completed and all terrorists have been eliminated.” 

The numbers casualties would be shared with the media shortly, Swati added. 


Pakistani official joins global finance leaders at event hosted by Trump-backed venture

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Pakistani official joins global finance leaders at event hosted by Trump-backed venture

  • Pakistan Virtual Assets Regulatory Authority Chairman Bilal bin Saqib attends World Liberty Financial event at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate
  • Discussions focused on future of global financial infrastructure, digital assets, stablecoins, capital markets innovation, says Saqib’s office 

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Virtual Assets Regulatory Authority (PVARA) Chairman and Minister of State Bilal bin Saqib joined global finance leaders at an event hosted by World Liberty Financial, a crypto venture linked to US President Donald Trump’s family, Saqib’s office said on Thursday. 

The event was hosted by World Liberty Financial, a crypto-based finance platform launched in September 2024 linked to Trump’s family. According to Saqib’s office, the gathering was held at Mar-a-Lago, the private estate and club owned by Trump in Florida. 

Speakers and attendees at the event included David Solomon, chairman and CEO of Goldman Sachs, Adena Friedman, chairperson and CEO of Nasdaq as well as Lynn Martin, president of the New York Stock Exchange, Saqib’s office said. The event was organized and hosted by Eric Trump and American businesspersons Zach Witkoff and Alex Witkoff. 

“Discussions focused on the future of global financial infrastructure, digital assets, stablecoins, capital markets innovation and the evolving relationship between regulation and emerging financial technologies,” the statement said. 

It said Saqib’s attendance at the event reflected Pakistan’s growing engagement with global discussions shaping the next phase of financial and technological transformation.

“As Pakistan moves toward modernizing its financial infrastructure and strengthening its position in the global digital economy, such high-level engagements signal increasing international recognition of the country’s regulatory direction and leadership,” the statement added. 

Last month, Pakistan signed a memorandum of understanding with a company affiliated with World Liberty Financial to explore the use of a dollar-linked stablecoin for cross-border payments.

Pakistan has stepped up efforts recently to regulate its digital asset sector and is exploring digital currency initiatives as part of broader measures to reduce cash usage.