Pakistan forms fresh investigation team to probe journalist’s killing

Senior Pakistani journalist Arshad Sharif poses for photograph prior to recoding an episode of his talk show at a studio, in Islamabad, Pakistan, on December 15, 2016. (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 08 December 2022
Follow

Pakistan forms fresh investigation team to probe journalist’s killing

  • Pakistan’s top court directs team to submit progress report every two weeks
  • Fact-finding report says role of transnational figures in killing cannot be ruled out

KARACHI: At the Supreme Court of Pakistan’s directives, the Pakistani government on Thursday formed a new joint investigation team (JIT) to probe the alleged murder of journalist and anchor Arshad Sharif.  

Earlier this week, Pakistan’s Chief Justice Umar Ata Bandial used the so-called “suo moto” provision — which allows him to take up cases on his own initiative — to set up a bench of five judges to supervise an investigation into the killing of the prominent television journalist in Kenya in October.  

Sharif, an outspoken critic of the government who also turned his guns on the military during the later part of his life, was shot to death by Kenyan police in Nairobi in October.   

Kenyan police said Sharif’s killing was a case of “mistaken identity” during the search for a car involved in a child abduction case. But a two-member Pakistani fact-finding team that visited the East African state subsequently called the killing a “targeted assassination.” 

On Wednesday, the Supreme Court of Pakistan directed the government to form a fresh JIT to investigate Sharif’s killing. During the hearing today, the government’s representative, Additional Attorney General (AAG) Aamir Rehman presented a notification featuring the names of the five JIT members.  

These included Awais Ahmed, deputy inspector-general Islamabad, Muhammad Aslam, an Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) agency’s representative, Murtaza Afzal, a representative of the Military Intelligence (MI), Waqar-ud-din Syed, director of cybercrimes of the Federal Investigation Agency and Sajid Kiani, deputy director-general of the Intelligence Bureau (IB).  

The notification said that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) and Islamabad Police have been directed to facilitate the team in their probe.  

Chief Justice Umar Ata Bandial, who conducted the hearing of the case with a five-member bench, said MoFA had submitted its reply with “ways and good suggestions.” 

The court then directed the JIT to submit a progress report to the court every two weeks. 

In its response submitted in court, MoFA said the Pakistan missions in Nairobi and Dubai were corresponding to facilitate the process of investigation and gathering evidence.  

The ministry said it was considering sending a special envoy to Kenya to raise the matter with local authorities and also arrange a phone call between the Kenyan and Pakistani foreign ministers.  

MoFA said it was also considering to direct the Pakistani High Commission in Nairobi to push senior Kenyan officials to accelerate the matter. 

Meanwhile, a fact-finding team’s (FFT) report seen by Arab News stated that the role of transnational characters in Kenya, Dubai and Pakistan could not be ruled out in Sharif’s killing.  

“Both the members of the FFT have a considered understanding that it is a case of planned targeted assassination with transnational characters rather than a case of mistaken Identity,” the report said. 

The team noted there were compelling reasons for Sharif to leave Pakistan, adding that criminal cases registered against him in different districts were most likely the reason why he was also asked to leave the UAE by authorities there. 

Sharif had left Pakistan in August over threats to his life and after a slew of court cases related to charges of treason and others were registered against him.  

“The four GSU [General Service Unit] police officials [in Kenya] ... had been used as instruments in this case under any influence, either financial or some other compulsion,” the report said.  

It added that Waqar Ahmad, who hosted Sharif, was connected to the National Intelligence Service (NIS) of Kenya and other international intelligence agencies and Kenyan police. 

His brother, Khurram Ahmad, was driving Sharif back to Nairobi when the shooting incident took place.


Pakistan economic body approves immediate release of $67.9 million for Ramadan package

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan economic body approves immediate release of $67.9 million for Ramadan package

  • Overall size of Prime Minister’s Ramadan Relief Package is $139 million, says Finance Division
  • Says remaining funds will be released as per evolving requirements, available fiscal space

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Economic Coordination Committee (ECC) on Thursday approved the immediate release of Rs19 billion [$67.9 million] for the Prime Minister’s Ramadan Relief Package, the Finance Division said, with the rest of the funds to be released keeping in mind available fiscal space. 

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif last week launched a Rs39 billion ($139 million) Ramadan relief package, pledging direct digital cash transfers of Rs13,000 ($47) each to 12.1 million low-income families across Pakistan. 

Pakistan’s government launches Ramadan relief packages every year before the holy month begins to lessen the burden of inflation on low-income families. 

Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb chaired the CEC meeting on Thursday, in which participants considered a summary from the Ministry of Poverty Alleviation seeking the approval of Rs25 billion [$89.3 million] 

“The Finance Division informed the Committee that Rs19 billion had already been budgeted for the Ramzan package for the current financial year and that the remaining requirement would be released as and when necessary,” the statement said. 

“The ECC accordingly approved the immediate release of Rs19 billion to enable prompt commencement of disbursement, while agreeing that any additional funds would be considered in line with evolving requirements and available fiscal space,” it added. 

The Finance Division noted that the overall size of the package is Rs39 billion [$139 million] out of which Rs10 billion [$35.7 million] are already available with the Benazir Income Support Program (BISP), Pakistan’s largest social safety net that provides unconditional cash transfers to the poor. 

The Finance Division said Rs29 billion have been arranged through three components considered by the ECC today, including the Technical Supplementary Grant, operational expenditures and the regularization of re-appropriated funds.

“This financing structure ensures that the package is fully resourced while maintaining fiscal discipline and transparency in implementation,” it added. 

The ECC reaffirmed the government’s commitment to extending “timely and dignified” support to deserving segments of society during Ramadan, while upholding fiscal responsibility and robust oversight in the implementation of relief measures.

“It emphasized the need to balance expeditious disbursement of relief with fiscal prudence and transparency in operational expenditures,” it added. 

The government will distribute the relief package through bank accounts and regulated mobile wallet platforms, fully replacing the previous utility store-based subsidy model with a digital payment mechanism overseen by the State Bank of Pakistan.

The allocation marks a sharp increase from last year’s Rs 20 billion ($72 million) Ramadan program, as the government expands coverage and deepens its shift toward cash-based targeted subsidies.