Saudi authorities seize millions of Captagon pills at Jeddah, Empty Quarter ports

1 / 2
Authorities seized 1,215,353 pills hidden in a cement shipment at Jeddah Islamic Port. (SPA)
2 / 2
Authorities at the Empty Quarter Port seized 1,213,378 Captagon pills. (SPA)
Short Url
Updated 02 December 2022
Follow

Saudi authorities seize millions of Captagon pills at Jeddah, Empty Quarter ports

  • The pills had combined street value of between $24 million and $60 million

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Zakat, Tax and Customs Authority foiled two attempts to smuggle more than 2.4 million Captagon pills into the Kingdom.

The pills were found hidden in consignments received at Jeddah Islamic Port and the Empty Quarter Port.

Authorities at the Empty Quarter Port seized 1,213,378 Captagon pills.

In the second attempt at Jeddah Islamic Port, authorities seized 1,215,353 pills hidden in a cement shipment.

The pills had a combined street value of between $24 million and $60 million based on figures published in the International Addiction Review journal.

The authority said that after confiscating the drugs, coordination with the General Directorate of Narcotics Control led to the swift arrest of six drug smugglers.

It stressed that it is continuing to tighten customs controls around the Kingdom’s imports and exports, and is conducting round-the-clock operations to prevent drug smuggling in order to continue to enhance the security of the community — and the Kingdom — by reducing the entry of contraband into Saudi Arabia.

Earlier this week, Saudi authorities in Riyadh thwarted a separate attempt to smuggle millions of amphetamine tablets.

General Directorate of Narcotics Control Spokesman Maj. Mohammed Al-Nujaidi said that during a security follow-up operation targeting drug smuggling and distribution networks, officials seized 2,035,200 amphetamine pills hidden inside a shipment of kitchen wood planks.

Four people found in possession of drugs were arrested in Riyadh and were referred to the Public Prosecution.

The authority called on members of the public with any information about past, current or future smuggling attempts to come forward. The number allocated for reporting drug-related offenses is 1910 locally or 00966114208417 internationally.

Members of the public can also report suspicious activities by visiting zatca.gov.sa.

A cash reward will be handed out to anyone who alerts authorities to proven smuggling attempts.


Saudi Foreign Ministry: Israel's decision on the West Bank undermines efforts to achieve peace and stability

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Saudi Foreign Ministry: Israel's decision on the West Bank undermines efforts to achieve peace and stability

Saudi Arabia condemned Israel's decision to take control of parts of the West Bank, warning the move would undermine efforts to achieve peace and stability, in a statement by the Foreign Ministry on X. 

"The Ministry of Foreign Affairs expresses the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s condemnation of the Israeli occupation authorities’ decision to rename the West Bank as “State Lands,” affiliated with the occupation authorities, as part of plans aimed at imposing a new legal and administrative reality in the occupied West Bank, and undermining the ongoing efforts to achieve peace and stability in the region," the Foreign Ministry said on Monday. 

The Ministry said Israel had no right over Palestinian territories and was undermining the two state solution, reafirming the kingdoms support for a independent Palestinain State. 

Israel’s cabinet on Sunday approved ‌further measures to tighten Israel’s control over the occupied West Bank and make it easier for settlers to buy land, in a move Palestinians called “a ​de-facto annexation.” The move has been widely crticised by Arab countries including Qatar, Egypt and Jordan.