Brazil tops US 94-79 in World Cup basketball qualifying

NBA player Bruno Caboclo (#55) of the Utah Jazz powered Brazil to a 94-79 win over the US in a World Cup basketball qualifier. (Twitter photo)
Short Url
Updated 12 November 2022
Follow

Brazil tops US 94-79 in World Cup basketball qualifying

  • The Americans lead Group F with a 7-2 record, one game ahead of Brazil (6-3)

WASHINGTON: USA Basketball still has some work to do before clinching a berth in next year’s World Cup.
Bruno Caboclo scored 24 points, Georghino De Paula added 18 and Brazil greatly improved its chances of making the 32-team World Cup field by beating the US 94-79 in a qualifying game on Friday.
The US would have wrapped up a World Cup spot with a win. The Americans now will have to wait until at least Monday, when they play host to Colombia.
“You have to give them credit,” US coach Jim Boylen said. “They played well, they executed well and their size and physicality bothered us. We’ve got to learn from this moment.”

 

Langston Galloway led the US with 14 points, while Charlie Brown and Alize Johnson each scored 10.
The US still controls its destiny regarding qualifying.
The Americans lead Group F with a 7-2 record, one game ahead of Brazil (6-3). The winner of the Mexico-Uruguay game, to be played later Friday night, will also be 6-3, with the loser 5-4. Puerto Rico (4-4) and Colombia (3-5) are also in the group; those two teams face off Friday night as well.
All the US needs to do is finish in first, second or third place to automatically qualify for the World Cup. The Americans have three qualifying games remaining — one Monday, then two more in February.
Brazil never trailed Friday, leading by as many as 25 points and taking a 58-34 lead into halftime.
“I did not like the way we started, a 30-point first, a 58-point half,” Boylen said. “I thought they hurt us at the defensive end.”


UEFA opens probe into ‘discriminatory behavior’ toward Vinicius

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

UEFA opens probe into ‘discriminatory behavior’ toward Vinicius

PARIS: UEFA said on Wednesday it would “investigate allegations of discriminatory behavior” after Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior accused Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni of racially abusing him during a Champions League match in Lisbon.
Tuesday’s first leg of the knockout phase play-off tie was stopped for more than 10 minutes after Vinicius complained to French referee Francois Letexier about the alleged abuse following a confrontation between him and Prestianni.
That came just moments after Brazil international Vinicius scored a sublime goal before picking up a yellow card after celebrating in front of the home crowd at the Estadio da Luz.
After arguing with Prestianni, Vinicius ran over to the referee and told him that he had been called “mono,” the Spanish word for monkey, by the Argentine midfielder.
The 20-year-old Prestianni, who covered his mouth with his shirt as he appeared to say something to Vinicius, denies racially abusing the Real Madrid star.
Real’s England full-back Trent Alexander-Arnold said the incident had left a sour taste in the mouth.
“It’s disgusting. What’s happened tonight is a disgrace for football. It’s ruined the night for the team,” he said.
Real forward Kylian Mbappe called on Prestianni to be banned.
“We cannot accept there’s a player playing in Europe’s best competition and behaving like this,” the France captain told reporters.
“This guy doesn’t deserve to play in the Champions League again.”
Benfica coach Jose Mourinho hit out at Vinicius for inciting Benfica’s players and fans with his celebration.
“When you score a goal like that, you celebrate in a respectful way,” said the Portuguese.