Umrah agents to explore itinerary opportunities at London event

CEO of the Council of British Hajjis and event host Rashid Mogradia speaks at Umrah+ Connect 2021. (File/CBHUK)
Short Url
Updated 04 November 2022
Follow

Umrah agents to explore itinerary opportunities at London event

  • British pilgrims to visit renovated Saudi historical sites as part of package revamps
  • Event to be hosted by Council of British Hajjis, is supported by All-Party Parliamentary Group on Hajj and Umrah

LONDON: UK travel agents and businesses at an event on Sunday will discuss ways to develop exciting itineraries for the Umrah pilgrimage market and improve the experiences of British pilgrims.

The Umrah+ Connect business to business event in London will be held in association with Nusuk, the first-ever official planning, booking and experience platform to create Umrah itineraries for Makkah, Madinah and beyond.

Travel agents offering Umrah packages and those that aim to sell them in the near future will be educated on how they can incorporate visits to historic Islamic sites related to the life of the Prophet Muhammad into their tours for British pilgrims.

These sites include six mosques, a well and a fort that were recently restored to their former glory in the holy city of Madinah, details of which were announced by Saudi authorities last month.

“This year we have brought extended partners and sponsors in to educate the trade on how they can develop exciting itineraries for the Umrah pilgrimage market, and how it can enhance the experiences of British pilgrims, and that of European pilgrims as well, when they go for Umrah,” CEO of the Council of British Hajjis and event host Rashid Mogradia told Arab News.

Mogradia added that traditional Umrah tour operators in the UK are innovating ways in which they can create itineraries and packages that go beyond booking flights and accommodation for stays in Makkah and Madinah.




People network at Umrah+ Connect 2021. (File/CBHUK)

He said that tour operators are moving toward providing packages that educate pilgrims by taking them to significant historical sites, helping them to connect these areas to the history and significance behind Umrah rituals, and the life of the Prophet Muhammad.

The Sunday event will help businesses “create opportunities to innovate and deliver exceptional travel experiences for those embarking on the journey of a lifetime,” Mogradia said.

“The UK travel market has shown great recovery post COVID-19 pandemic, and is a growing market. It’s therefore important, now more than ever, that the industry stays connected and capitalizes on the offerings and developments on Umrah+ itineraries, programs and initiatives being offered by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, which enrich and enhance the pilgrims’ experiences,” the CEO added.

Sponsors of the event include the Clock Towers, Accor – Holy Destinations, the National Committee for Hajj, Umrah and Visitation Activities, Makarem, Emaar Al Diyafa Hotels, Zam Zam International, Dar Al Taqwa Hotels Madinah and DS Rent.

Partners include the Kingdom’s flag carrier Saudia, Zamzam.com, Saudi Company for Visa and Travel Services, Emirates, Zain Telecom, Mawasim, Shaza Makkah, Mysk Touch, Somukh Aviation, Mahatat Al Alam, Safa Soft, Zamazemah Co., Destinations of the World, Aqeeq Hotels Madinah and Al Taif for Umrah Services Co.

Umrah+ Connect will be jointly hosted by CBHUK- the Council of British Hajjis and the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Hajj and Umrah.


Jeffrey Epstein estate agrees to settle victim claims for up to $35 million

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Jeffrey Epstein estate agrees to settle victim claims for up to $35 million

  • The agreement must be approved by a federal judge in New York before it can become final
  • Estate would pay $35 million if there are 40 or more people eligible in the class and $25 million if there are fewer than 40
WASHINGTON: The estate of convicted US sex offender Jeffrey Epstein has agreed to pay up to $35 million to settle the outstanding legal claims of potentially dozens of victims, according to a court filing Thursday.
The agreement must be approved by a federal judge in New York before it can become final.
The settlement is related to victims who said they were “sexually assaulted or abused or trafficked by Jeffrey Epstein between January 1, 1995, and through August 10, 2019,” the date of the disgraced financier’s death in prison, the proposed plan said.
Epstein’s estate would pay $35 million if there are 40 or more people eligible in the class and $25 million if there are fewer than 40.
The co-executors of the settlement are Darren Indyke, Epstein’s former lawyer, and Richard Kahn, the financier’s former accountant.
Both have denied any wrongdoing through their association with the convicted sex offender and have not been accused of any sexual abuse crimes or witnessing of sexual abuse.
But the settlement, if confirmed, will bring to a close the initial lawsuit filed in 2024 in which the pair of advisers were accused of enabling Epstein’s illicit activities through their legal and business services.
The judgment filed in federal court in Manhattan on Thursday said the agreement does not mean the co-executors admit fault or are liable to further legal action from victims.
The law firm representing the class of victims, Boies Schiller Flexner LLP, did not immediately respond to a request for comment on how many people were part of the lawsuit.
Bloomberg News reported late Thursday that the firm was confident they had at least 40 victims who had not yet settled with Epstein’s estate.
Daniel H. Weiner, the lawyer representing the co-executors, did not immediately reply to a comment request.
The settlement comes after the release by the US Justice Department of millions of documents, photographs and videos related to the investigation into Epstein.
Epstein cultivated a global network of powerful politicians, business executives, academics and celebrities — many of whom have been tainted by their association with him.