After government request to call back fighters, Pakistan Taliban express willingness for dialogue, ceasefire

Pakistani soldiers patrol at an empty bazaar during a military operation against Taliban militants in the main town of Miranshah in North Waziristan on July 9, 2014. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 20 October 2022
Follow

After government request to call back fighters, Pakistan Taliban express willingness for dialogue, ceasefire

  • Earlier this month, gunmen attacked a school van in Swat’s Charbagh area, killing the driver and injuring students
  • Media reports indicate Taliban militants have returned to Swat after being driven out in a 2009 military operation

ISLAMABAD: The banned Pakistani Taliban said on Thursday it was willing to find a negotiated settlement to its conflict with the government, responding to a “request” for peace by the provincial government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.

The provincial government’s spokesperson, Barrister Muhammad Ali Saif, publicly "requested” the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) on Wednesday to recall its armed fighters from the scenic Swat valley in the country’s northwest where militants have reportedly returned in recent weeks.

TTP insurgents took partial control of Swat Valley in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in 2007, before being ousted two years later in a major military operation hailed as a telling blow against militant violence. During this time, militants unleashed a reign of terror, killing and beheading politicians, singers, soldiers and opponents. They banned female education and destroyed almost 200 girls’ schools.

The widespread reports of a return of militants to Swat Valley and other parts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa come amid a stalled peace deal with Islamabad and drawn-out negotiations that began last year.

“The TTP welcomes the appeal of special assistant to [the chief minister of] Khyber Pakhtunkhwa on information, Barrister Saif,” the militant faction said in a statement. “The TTP believes in the negotiation process and establishment of ceasefire.”

“If [the] government shows seriousness and does not force our mujahideen [fighters] to defend [themselves], we will issue directives to all of them to stop their operations and move to safe places,” the statement added.

The group said its recent attacks were a reaction to “ceasefire violations by Pakistan” and such actions were “defensive” in nature.

Earlier this month, unidentified gunmen on a motorcycle opened fire on a school van in Swat’s Charbagh area, killing the driver and injuring students. The incident happened about a decade after the TTP tried to kill Malala Yousafzai, though she survived the gun attack and went on to become a global girls’ education activist and win a Nobel Prize.

Though the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa police chief has said the attack on the school van was not an act of terror, thousands of people, have come out in protest in Swat since the assault, calling for the restoration of peace in the Valley.

Addressing media at the Swat Press Club on Wednesday, Saif, the provincial administration’s spokesperson, assured the residents of the area that militancy would not be allowed to return to the Valley “for the rest of our lives.”

“I publicly request Taliban leaders in my personal capacity to recall all the armed individuals who are working for them in Swat – or any other part of Pakistan – and are spreading fear [among people],” he said.

“Give us a chance,” he added. “We came to you [in Afghanistan] to discuss peace … We still want peace.”

Last year, Pakistan’s then prime minister Imran Khan told media his administration was negotiating with TTP leaders since he was not in favor of a military solution to conflicts.

Khan’s government said it was also willing to offer amnesty to TTP militants if they laid down arms, abandoned their extremist ideology and adhered to the constitution.

The negotiations between the two sides continued even after Khan was ousted from power in a no-confidence vote in April.

However, Pakistan’s new defense minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif revealed last week that talks had remained inconclusive. He also said another military operation in Swat was “not on the cards.”


Pakistan opposition to meet today as Imran Khan’s party rejects prison medical exam

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan opposition to meet today as Imran Khan’s party rejects prison medical exam

  • Pakistan government conducted ex-PM Imran Khan’s medical examination in jail on Sunday over reports of his deteriorating eye condition
  • Khan’s family, PTI party have rejected the examination, saying that neither his family nor former premier’s doctors were invited to check-up

Islamabad: An alliance of opposition parties will meet today, Monday, to determine its future course of action after former prime minister Imran Khan’s family and his Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party rejected a medical examination of the former premier conducted by the government, a spokesperson of the alliance confirmed. 

The superintendent of Adiala Jail, where Khan is incarcerated, said a team of expert doctors from various hospitals conducted a detailed examination of his eye on Sunday. The examination was held days after a lawyer, who was asked by the top court to visit Khan at the jail earlier this month to assess his living conditions, submitted a report in the Supreme Court. The report said the 73-year-old had suffered severe vision loss in his right eye due to central retinal vein occlusion, and that he was left with only 15 percent sight in the affected eye.

Khan’s PTI party and family have dismissed the medical examination, protesting that the government had carried it out without inviting the former premier’s family members or his personal doctors. 

“Opposition will meet during the next few hours to discuss the future line of action,” Sheikh Waqas Akram, the PTI’s central information secretary, told Arab News.

“We reject the examination that has been conducted in the absence of family or their nominated doctor.”

He said that while Khan’s family members and doctors were informed of the medical examination, “disallowing our doctor and family is aimed at hiding the truth.”

Akram said the government had rejected the family’s request for Khan’s sister Dr. Uzma Khan or Dr. Nausherwan Burki, a prominent physician based in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, to be present during the check-up. 

He said Khan’s sisters and Dr. Burki will hold a press conference on Tuesday to apprise the media about the latest situation. 

Separately in a video statement, Khan’s physician Dr. Aasim Yousaf said he spoke to the two doctors who were treating the former premier at Adiala Jail on Sunday via a conference call. He said that as per their latest assessment, Khan had shown “significant improvement” due to the treatment and that his vision “had improved significantly as well.”

“I would be extremely happy if I was able to confirm that this was the case,” Dr. Yousaf said. “Unfortunately, because I have not seen him myself and have not been able to participate in his care or to talk to him, I’m unable to either confirm or deny the veracity of what we have been told.”

Dr. Yousaf appealed to the authorities to either allow him or Dr. Faisal Sultan, CEO of the Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Center, to care for Khan at the central prison in Rawalpindi. He also appealed to authorities to carry out Khan’s further treatment at Shifa International Hospital in Islamabad. 

Hussain Ahmad Yousafzai, a spokesperson of the Tehreek-e-Tahafuz-e-Ayin-e-Pakistan alliance, also confirmed that members of parliament from the opposition alliance are meeting to discuss the future course of action today. 

“The opposition meeting is going to discuss future line of action as our demand for moving Imran Khan to Al-Shifa International Hospital in Islamabad and treating him in front of the family has not been fulfilled,” Yousafzai said. 

’NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT’

Speaking to lawyers in the eastern city of Ferozewala, Law Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar said one of Khan’s eyes has around 70 percent vision with corrective glasses, while the other has “normal” 6/6 vision.

“The latest report being discussed today has been re-examined as per the Supreme Court’s order,” he said. “There is nothing to worry about.”

Separately, the Supreme Court disposed off a petition by PTI lawyers on Monday, saying that the court’s concerns about Khan’s living conditions in jail had been addressed.

“As evident from the above, the petitioner has generally expressed satisfaction with the prevailing conditions of his confinement and has not raised any concerns necessitating accommodations beyond the existing level of care,” a copy of the order seen by Arab News reads.

It added that both the reports by the Supreme Court’s appointed lawyer and the government’s team corroborated this fact, which was reinforced by assurances provided by the attorney general of Pakistan.

Opposition members have gathered outside the parliament building in Islamabad and staged a sit-in protest since Friday over health concerns regarding Khan. Reports of Khan’s eye ailment have also triggered road closures in several parts of KP.

PTI Peshawar President Saleem Irfan said major roads remained blocked on Monday, including the Peshawar–Islamabad Motorway at Swabi’s Anbar Interchange, Khairabad Bridge linking Punjab with the northwestern province, the Dera Ismail Khan–Bhakkar Road, Lakki Marwat–Mianwali Road, the Hazara Motorway at the Abbottabad–Havelian Interchange, Kohat–Pindi Road near Khushal Garh, and sections of the Karakoram Highway in Upper Kohistan.  

“We will continue to block these points until our demand is accepted,” he said.