Blast at Kabul learning center kills scores of teenagers, mainly girls

A Taliban fighter stands guard inside of an education center that was attacked by a suicide bomber, in Kabul, Afghanistan, September 30, 2022. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 30 September 2022
Follow

Blast at Kabul learning center kills scores of teenagers, mainly girls

  • Explosion killed at least 19 people were, injured 27
  • Attack occurred when students were taking an exam

KABUL: A suicide attack at a learning center in the Afghan capital on Friday killed scores of teenaged students, most of them girls, police and witnesses say.

The blast at the Kaaj education center in the Dasht-e-Barchi area in the west of Kabul took place in the morning, when students were taking a practice college exam.

“Initial information shows that sadly 19 people lost their lives and 27 others are injured,” Kabul police spokesperson Khalid Zadran told reporters.

One of the exam’s organizers told Arab News a suicide bomber entered the exam venue, where about 500 children were sitting.

“Our male and female students were killed on the spot, and some were taken to the nearby hospitals,” he said, requesting anonymity. “The attacker entered from the girls’ entrance and the blast happened in front of the girls’ section of the hall. Most of the martyrs are our girl students.”

The death toll is likely to be higher than the official figure, but local residents say the area has been cordoned off and they had not been able to see the victims.

“Taliban locked the area and don’t even allow us to hospitals to see the victims and give blood,” Mohammad Ali, a resident of Dasht-e-Barchi, told Arab News.

There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack that took place in a neighborhood inhabited by minority Hazaras who have often been targeted by militants.
 
Abbas Baqir, an elder from Dasht-e-Barchi said consecutive Afghan governments have failed to protect them.

“The governments failed to protect us. We are a target for militant groups because of our identity,” he told Arab News. “Today, our children lost their lives again while getting an education and preparing for their future.”

The security situation in Afghanistan had improved following the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan in August 2021, but it has been deteriorating in recent months.

In a Twitter post, Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid condemned Friday’s attack as an “act of terror.”

“The IEA (Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan) expresses its deepest sympathy to the families of the victims of this attack. Serious measures will be taken to find and punish the perpetrators.”

Most of the attacks on schools and mosques have been claimed by Daesh militants who are a rival of the Taliban.

Last year, a bomb attack on a girls' school in Dasht-e-Barchi killed at least 85 people, mainly students.


Five miners trapped deep underground after mudslide floods South African diamond mine

Updated 59 min 4 sec ago
Follow

Five miners trapped deep underground after mudslide floods South African diamond mine

  • The miners have been trapped since the early hours of Tuesday, according to a labor alliance
  • The mine is in the central city of Kimberley, which is renowned for its diamond mines

JOHANNESBURG: Five miners were trapped deep underground at a South African diamond mine after a mudslide flooded a shaft they were working in, mine officials and a labor union said Thursday.
The miners have been trapped since the early hours of Tuesday, according to the Congress of South African Trade Unions — an alliance of labor unions that includes the main mineworkers union. The congress said the miners were thought to be trapped around 800 meters (half a mile) underground.
Ekapa Mining General Manager Howard Marsden, whose company operates the mine, told national broadcaster SABC on Wednesday that rescuers were pumping water out of the shaft while a separate team was trying to drill a hole to where the miners were believed to be trapped to try to establish communication with them “or any proof of life.”
The mine is in the central city of Kimberley, which is renowned for its diamond mines and was at the heart of the global industry after diamonds were discovered in the area in the late 1800s.
The Minerals Council of South Africa said this month in its annual safety report that 41 miners died in mining accidents in South Africa last year, a record low and down from hundreds a year in the 1990s and early 2000s.
South Africa is among the world’s biggest producers of diamonds and gold, and the top producer of platinum.