UK police: 2 officers stabbed in central London

The force says both officers are in the hospital and it is awaiting updates on their conditions. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 16 September 2022
Follow

UK police: 2 officers stabbed in central London

LONDON: Two police officers were stabbed early Friday in central London and hospitalized after encountering “a male with a knife,” the capital’s police said, amid massive security ahead of the queen’s funeral.
A suspect who was tasered and arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and assaulting an emergency worker is also in hospital following the incident at around 6:00 am (0500 GMT), the Metropolitan Police added.
“Police encountered a male with a knife in the area of Leicester Square,” it said in a statement, referring to a square in the heart of the British capital, less than a mile from where the queen’s coffin is lying in state.
“Two officers received stab wounds and are currently being treated in hospital. We await further updates on their conditions.”
The Met added officers had deployed a taser and the suspect was taken to an unspecified hospital for treatment, “where he remains at this time.”
The force said “enquiries into the circumstances surrounding the incident are ongoing,” but the attack was not terror related. 
It comes amid a massive security operation in central London as Queen Elizabeth II lies in state in parliament ahead of Monday’s state funeral.
The first to be staged in the UK in nearly six decades, it is set to be attended by leaders and royalty from around the world.
Thousands of police from across the country have been deployed to London, while 1,500 army personnel are on standby to help manage crowds and security, as tens of thousands of people queue to file past the late monarch’s coffin.




Tens of thousands of people queue to file past the late monarch’s coffin. (AFP)


It has been lying in state in parliament’s Westminster Hall since late Wednesday, where it will remain until early Monday.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan called the attack on the officers “utterly appalling.”
“These brave officers were doing their duty and assisting the public at this momentous time for our country,” he said, noting police “run toward danger to protect others” and “we owe them a huge debt of gratitude.”
Khan added he was in close contact with the Met’s new Commissioner Mark Rowley, who only took up the post on Monday.


Bus with Chinese tourists crashes through ice on Russia’s Lake Baikal, killing 8

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Bus with Chinese tourists crashes through ice on Russia’s Lake Baikal, killing 8

  • One of the Chinese tourists managed to escape from the bus
  • The bus plunged into a 3-meter (10-foot) -wide ice crevasse

MOSCOW: A tour bus carrying Chinese tourists plunged through the ice on Russia’s Lake Baikal, killing eight people, officials said.
One of the Chinese tourists managed to escape from the bus, which was crossing the frozen lake on Friday, Irkutsk regional Gov. Igor Kobzev wrote in a Telegram post on Saturday. He said the dead included seven Chinese tourists and the driver.
The bus plunged into a 3-meter (10-foot) -wide ice crevasse, Russia’s Emergencies Ministry reported. The lake is 18 meters (59 feet) deep at the site of the accident, it said. The ministry said rescuers used underwater cameras before embarking on a diving operation.
The regional prosecutor’s office said a criminal probe had been opened. The Irkutsk tourism office reported on Saturday that the bus tour had been run by an unregistered operator.
Lake Baikal, the world’s deepest freshwater lake, is one of Russia’s key tourism attractions. Numbers of Chinese visitors to the country soared in recent years, after Moscow and Beijing introduced a mutual visa-free regime.