Pakistan’s brick workers need kilns reignited after floods

In this picture taken on September 4, 2022, Muhammad Ayub (2L) sits with other labourers near their brick kiln damaged by floodwaters following heavy monsoon rains in Aqilpur area in Rajanpur district of Punjab province. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 25 September 2022
Follow

Pakistan’s brick workers need kilns reignited after floods

  • The floods have destroyed or badly damaged nearly two million homes or business premises
  • Over 33 million people in Pakistan affected by the flooding, that have swamped a third of the country

RAJANPUR: The brick kilns that dominate the small village of Aqilpur in Pakistan’s Punjab province now lie abandoned, furnaces extinguished by weeks of torrential rain that have caused the worst floods in the country’s history.

Though the floods that engulfed Aqilpur and its surrounding fields have receded from the highs of a week ago, the kilns are still surrounded by water.

Most of those who lived on-site — part of the country’s millions-strong workforce known as “daily wagers” because of their piecemeal salaries — abandoned their homes for higher, dry ground.

“I come here daily on my bicycle and go from one kiln to another to look for work but find nothing,” said Muhammad Ayub, an itinerant laborer.

Now, a road that runs through the village has become a kind of town square for the kiln workers, who find themselves both homeless and out of work.

Ayub, 40, has a sick mother and an eight-year-old daughter to provide for.

When his home was destroyed in the torrential rains that preceded the flood, he sent them to a relative’s house close to the village.

But once the flood hit, his family was forced to take refuge at a makeshift campsite on higher ground outside the village.

More than 33 million people in Pakistan have been affected by the flooding, brought on by record monsoon rains that have swamped a third of the country, causing at least 1,300 deaths.

The floods have destroyed or badly damaged nearly two million homes or business premises, and for the rebuilding process to begin, kilns like those in Aqilpur will have to fire up again.


Pakistan says it struck TTP, Daesh militant camps near Afghan border, Kabul alleges civilian deaths

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan says it struck TTP, Daesh militant camps near Afghan border, Kabul alleges civilian deaths

  • Islamabad says it targeted seven militant hideouts in “retributive response” to attacks 
  • Afghan Taliban accuse Pakistan of bombing civilians in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces 

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan said on Saturday it carried out “intelligence-based selective targeting” against militant camps near the Afghan border after a series of attacks inside the country, while the Afghan Taliban accused Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the assault.

Pakistan has faced a renewed surge in militant violence in recent months, particularly in its northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and two major attacks in the capital, Islamabad. Authorities say many of the attacks have been carried out by the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and allied groups that Islamabad alleges are operating from sanctuaries in Afghanistan. Kabul denies this. 

According to Pakistan’s information ministry, recent incidents included a suicide bombing at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad, separate attacks in Bajaur and Bannu, and another recent incident in Bannu during the holy month of

Ramadan, which started earlier this week. The government said it had “conclusive evidence” linking the attacks to militants directed by leadership based in Afghanistan.

“Pakistan in a retributive response, has carried out intelligence based selective targeting of seven terrorist camps and hideouts belonging to Pakistani Taliban ... and its affiliates and ISKP [Daesh] at the border region of Pakistan

Afghan border with precision and accuracy,” the Pakistani information ministry said in a statement on Feb. 21.

The statement, which did not specify the exact nature of the attacks, said it had hit camps of the “Fitna al Khwarij (FAK),” a term Pakistani authorities use for the TTP, as well as the Islamic State Khorasan Province (ISKP), the regional affiliate of the Daesh group.

Islamabad has repeatedly urged Afghanistan’s Taliban authorities to take action against militants it says are using Afghan territory to plan and launch attacks inside Pakistan. The latest statement said Kabul had “failed to undertake any substantive action” despite prior requests.

In an X post, Kabul government spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said Pakistani forces had violated Afghan territory.

“Pakistani special military circles have once again trespassed into Afghan territory,” Mujahid said. “Last night, they bombed our civilian compatriots in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces, martyring and wounding dozens of people, including women and children.”

The Afghan Taliban’s claims of civilian casualties could not be independently verified. Pakistan did not immediately comment on the allegation that civilians had been killed in the strikes. 

Tensions between Islamabad and Kabul have escalated since the Afghan Taliban returned to power in 2021. Pakistan says cross-border militant attacks have increased since then and has accused the Taliban of failing to honor commitments under the 2020 Doha Agreement to prevent Afghan soil from being used for attacks against other countries. The Taliban deny allowing such activity and have previously rejected similar accusations.

Saturday’s exchange of accusations marks one of the most direct confrontations between the two neighbors in recent months and risks further straining already fragile ties along the volatile border.