Palestinians: Israeli forces kill 19-year-old in clashes

Israel has been conducting near-daily arrest raids in the West Bank for months, which were prompted by a spate of deadly attacks against Israelis earlier this year that killed 19 people. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 05 September 2022
Follow

Palestinians: Israeli forces kill 19-year-old in clashes

  • Taher Zakarneh was shot in the head, the foot and thigh near the West Bank city of Jenin

JERUSALEM: Israeli forces shot and killed a 19-year-old in the occupied West Bank during clashes that broke out early Monday during an Israeli arrest raid, Palestinian officials said.
The Palestinian Health Ministry said the young man, Taher Zakarneh, was shot in the head, the foot and thigh in a town near the West Bank city of Jenin, a bastion of armed struggle against Israeli rule, which has been a focus of the Israeli raids.
The Palestinian Prisoners’ Club, which represents current and former Palestinian prisoners, said Israel arrested three Palestinians in its raid in the town of Qabatiya.
The Israeli military said it encountered violent protests during its operation and responded to firebombs and rocks thrown at troops with live fire. It said 17 Palestinians were arrested overnight in raids throughout the West Bank.
Israel has been conducting near-daily arrest raids in the West Bank for months, which were prompted by a spate of deadly attacks against Israelis earlier this year that killed 19 people. Dozens of Palestinians have been killed during that time, many of them militants or people involved in clashes, but some civilians have also been killed, including one who inadvertently drove through a battle zone and a veteran Al Jazeera journalist covering the raids.
Israel says the raids are meant to dismantle militant networks. The Palestinians say the operations are aimed at maintaining Israel’s 55-year military occupation of territories they want for an independent state.
While the initial bout of violence largely subsided, attacks against Israelis have ticked up recently. On Friday a Palestinian stabbed and wounded an Israeli soldier before being killed. On Sunday, Palestinian gunmen opened fire on a bus carrying a group of Israeli soldiers in the West Bank, wounding five soldiers, one of them seriously, as well as the civilian bus driver. Also Sunday, the military said an explosive device was hurled at soldiers at a post in the West Bank, lightly injuring four.
Israel captured the West Bank, along with east Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip, in the 1967 Mideast war. The Palestinians want those areas for their hoped-for state.


Israeli Druze leader says Syrian community ‘besieged’ months after clashes

Updated 12 sec ago
Follow

Israeli Druze leader says Syrian community ‘besieged’ months after clashes

  • “They aren’t allowed to bring in any humanitarian aid, including the aid we’re trying to deliver,” Sheikh Mowafaq Tarif told AFP
  • Clashes erupted last July in southern Syria between Druze fighters and Sunni Bedouin tribes

JULIS, Israel: Seven months after deadly clashes between Syria’s Druze minority and government-backed forces, the spiritual leader of Druze in neighboring Israel said members of the community across the border remained in peril.
“They’re still besieged — completely encircled. They aren’t allowed to bring in any humanitarian aid, including the aid we’re trying to deliver,” Sheikh Mowafaq Tarif told AFP in an interview this week.
The cleric spoke in Julis, a quiet Druze village in northern Israel, where the community has set up an “emergency room” to coordinate aid efforts for Druze in Syria.
Israeli and Druze flags hang on the walls of the room, alongside posters in Hebrew and Arabic calling for an end to the killing of Syrian Druze.
The Druze are followers of an esoteric religion that split from Shiite Islam centuries ago. Its adherents are spread across parts of Syria, Israel, Lebanon and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.
Clashes erupted last July in southern Syria between Druze fighters and Sunni Bedouin tribes.
The Syrian authorities said their forces intervened to stop the clashes, but witnesses and monitors accused them of siding with the Bedouin.
Israel bombed Syria during the violence, saying it was acting to defend the minority group.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the fighting left more than 2,000 people dead, including 789 Druze civilians who were “summarily executed by defense and interior ministry personnel.”
The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs estimated that some 187,000 people were displaced by the violence.
- ‘Why not let them return?’ -

“There are still more than 120,000 people displaced from their homes,” Sheikh Tarif said.
“Thirty?eight villages have been captured, and residents aren’t allowed to return. There are more than 300 captives, including children and women.”
AFP was unable to verify those claims.
Although a ceasefire was reached in July, access to Sweida remains difficult.
Residents accuse the government of imposing a blockade on the province, which Damascus denies. Several aid convoys have entered since then.
“Why not let them return to their villages? We’re in the depths of winter and that is a mountainous area. It’s very cold,” Tarif said.
With Syria’s government and Kurdish-led forces agreeing last month to integrate Kurdish fighters and civil institutions into state structures, Sweida is the last major area outside Damascus’s control.
Tarif said the community did not need government security forces in the region.
“The Druze have forces capable of defending themselves and maintaining order,” he said, referring to Syrian government forces as jihadists and “Islamic State members.”
Many in Syria remain wary of Sharaa, given that the jihadist group he once led started out as an Al-Qaeda affiliate and many of its former members are in his government.
Israel’s leaders have repeatedly referenced Sharaa’s jihadist past in calling for the West not to legitimize him.
Nevertheless, Israel and Syria, which have no official diplomatic ties, have held several rounds of direct talks in recent months.
Following negotiations in January, and under US pressure, both sides agreed to set up an intelligence?sharing mechanism as they moved toward a security agreement.
One issue under discussion is the possibility of Syrian Druze working in Israel.
Sheikh Tarif confirmed “that is something we have heard” and added that he wished any Syrian could come to work as a daily laborer “because the (economic) situation in Syria is very difficult.”
He also called for Druze across the Middle East to be able to visit their religious sites in neighboring countries, “just as our Christian and Muslim brothers visit their holy places” in states with which they may not have diplomatic relations.
“The Druze also deserve to access and pray at our holy sites in Syria and Lebanon and for them to come visit our holy places” in Israel, he said.