Rights group condemns Israeli targeting of three Palestinian journalists

AFP photojournalist Ahmed Gharabli is taken out by Israeli police officers from Jerusalem's old city, on August 7, 2022. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 09 August 2022
Follow

Rights group condemns Israeli targeting of three Palestinian journalists

  • Reporters Without Borders said: ‘Not only do Israeli citizens attack Palestinian reporters ... the Israeli police do not react. And worse still, it is the journalists who are arrested’
  • The three journalists were attacked and arrested while covering the unrest last weekend following Israel’s bombardment of the Gaza Strip

LONDON: Reporters Without Borders on Tuesday condemned Israeli authorities for the “unacceptable targeting” of Palestinian journalists covering the recent violent clashes in Jerusalem.

“It is sad to see that Palestinian journalists are still easy targets because they are Palestinians,” the organization’s Middle East desk said.

“Not only do Israeli citizens attack Palestinian reporters while they are working but the Israeli police do not react. And worse still, it is the journalists who are arrested.”

Three Palestinian journalists were attacked and arrested while covering the unrest last weekend following Israel’s bombardment of the Gaza Strip. Agence France-Presse photographer Ahmad Gharabli was detained by Israeli police. Mohammed Ashu, a reporter for satellite news channel Al-Mayadeen, was attacked by an Israeli settler who hit him with the handle of a flag. Ashu was then surrounded, his camera was stolen and he was detained by the police. Both of the journalists were released later the same day.

Photojournalist Ghassan Abou Eid was attacked by an Israeli settler in a residential district of East Jerusalem. A video shared on social media showed the settler grab Abou Eid’s camera while his back was turned and damage it. A nearby Israeli police officer failed to intervene.

Israeli authorities launched airstrikes on the Gaza Strip last Friday to prevent what they referred to as “an imminent attack from Gaza.” The strikes resulted in the deaths of 44 Palestinians and the destruction of several residential buildings and militant bases.

Israeli authorities and Palestinians agreed a ceasefire, brokered by Egypt, on Sunday after three days of violence.

 


Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

DUBAI: Earlier this week, Tucker Carlson flew to Israel to interview US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, according to media reports.

Carlson, who reportedly refused to leave Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport complex, conducted the interview at the airport, after which he said he and his staff were detained and their passports were seized.

“Men who identified themselves as airport security took our passports, hauled our executive producer into a side room and then demanded to know what we spoke to Ambassador Huckabee about,” Carlson said in a statement to The New York Post.

However, Carlson’s claims have been contradicted by Huckabee and Israeli authorities.

Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and Fox News host, said on social media platform X that “EVERYONE who comes in/out of Israel (every country for that matter) has passports checked & routinely asked security questions,” including himself, despite holding a diplomatic passport and visa.

The US Embassy in Israel also described the interaction as routine passport control procedures.

The Israel Airports Authority said in a statement that Carlson and his staff “were not detained, delayed, or interrogated.”

They were asked “a few routine questions, in accordance with standard procedures applied to many travelers,” and this conversation took place in a separate room within the VIP lounge to protect their privacy, the statement added.

“No unusual incident occurred, and the Israel Airports Authority firmly rejects any other claims.”

Carlson has faced criticism in recent years over his commentary on Israel, with critics accusing him of amplifying narratives that are hostile to Israel and, at times, antisemitic. He has also questioned Israel’s treatment of Christian communities in the region.

After Fox News canceled his show in April 2023, he launched his own program, “The Tucker Carlson Show” in 2024.

The show has featured controversial figures, including Darryl Cooper, who has made statements widely condemned as Holocaust denial, and white nationalist commentator Nick Fuentes.

In his interview with Fuentes, Carlson labeled Huckabee a “Christian Zionist.”

Carlson has also criticized Huckabee for not doing enough to protect Christian interests in the region. In one video, he said: “Why not go ahead and talk to Christians and find out their side of the story? Why aren’t American Christian leaders like Mike Huckabee or Ted Cruz, people who invoke the Christian Bible to justify what they’re doing, why haven’t they done this?”

Huckabee responded to the video on X, writing: “Instead of talking ABOUT me, why don’t you come talk TO me?  You seem to be generating a lot of heat about the Middle East. Why be afraid of the light?”

Carlson accepted the invitation, and their teams coordinated the interview, leading to his brief visit to Israel.