Shiite protest group breaks into Azerbaijani Embassy in London

Protest was led by members of the Mahdi Servants Union, a Shiite group that accused Azerbaijan of persecuting Shiite Muslims. (Shutterstock)
Short Url
Updated 05 August 2022
Follow

Shiite protest group breaks into Azerbaijani Embassy in London

  • 8 arrested for trespass, criminal damage after Mahdi Servants Union members storm building
  • Group’s leader Yasser Al-Habib at center of ‘The Lady of Heaven’ controversy earlier this year

LONDON: Protesters broke into the Azerbaijani Embassy in London on Thursday, leading to eight arrests after the country’s flag was taken down and Arabic slogans were daubed on the building’s walls.

A spokesperson for London’s Metropolitan Police told Metro newspaper that it had received “reports of protesters who had entered the premises” at around 4:30 p.m.

“Eight men were arrested on suspicion of trespass and criminal damage. They were taken into custody where they remain. No injuries were reported. Enquiries are ongoing.”

The protest was led by members of the Mahdi Servants Union, a Shiite group that seeks “civilizational dominance” according to its website, and that has accused Azerbaijan of persecuting Shiite Muslims. The group said it was taking “urgent action” against the country’s government.

Azerbaijan is a majority Shiite country, but the state — bordering Iran, Georgia and Armenia — is secular.

In 2018 the Iranian Embassy in London also accused the Mahdi Servants Union of targeting its premises after four armed men broke in to protest the country’s arrest of Iraqi Shiite cleric Hussein Al-Shirazi.

The group is led by Yasser Al-Habib, who found himself at the center of a storm in the UK recently after his film “The Lady of Heaven” caused outrage and protests among British Sunni groups due to its controversial depiction of Lady Fatimah, the daughter of the Prophet Muhammad.

The protests led to the film being pulled from a number of cinemas across the country after claims that it was “blasphemous.”


Scores killed in militant attacks in northwest Nigeria

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Scores killed in militant attacks in northwest Nigeria

  • The attacks came days after the state hosted the UNESCO-listed Argungu fishing festival
  • The Lakurawa group has been blamed for many of the attacks on communities
LAGOS: Militant fighters have killed scores of people and destroyed seven villages in raids in northwestern Nigeria’s Kebbi state, the police said Thursday.
Members of the Lakurawa group attacked villages in the Bui district of Arewa northern region at around 1:15 p.m. (1215 GMT) Wednesday, said Kebbi state police spokesman Bashir Usman.
A security report seen by AFP said the militants had killed “more than 30 villagers.”
Usman said: “Scores of people were killed as residents from Mamunu, Awasaka, Tungan Tsoho, Makangara, Kanzo, Gorun Naidal, and Dan Mai Ago mobilized to resist the attackers.”
The attackers had also rustled “some cattle” in the raids, he added. Police, soldiers and local militia were immediately sent to the area.
The attacks came days after the state hosted the UNESCO-listed Argungu fishing festival, about 60 kilometers (38 miles) from the Arewa region, where the attacks took place.
The Lakurawa group has been blamed for many of the attacks on communities in the northern part of the state and in neighboring Sokoto state.
Its members stage deadly attacks from their forest base, rustling livestock and imposing “taxes” on locals.
The Nigerian government said the Christmas day air strikes by the US military in Sokoto had targeted members of the group and “bandit” gangs.
Some researchers have linked the group to the Islamic State Sahel Province, which is active mainly in neighboring Niger and Mali, though others remain doubtful.
The activities of the group have compounded Nigeria’s insecurity.
The West African nation is grappling with a more than 16-year militant insurgency in the northeast, as well as a farmer-herder conflict in the north central region.
They also have to contend with a violent secessionist agitation in the southeast, and kidnappings for ransom plague the northwest.
Nigeria is now looking to the United States for technical and training support for its troops fighting the militants after a resurgence of violence strained relationships between the two countries.
The US Africa Command said 200 troops were expected to join the deployment overall.
US President Donald Trump has said the violence there amounts to the “persecution” of Christians — a framing long used by the US religious and political right wing.
Nigeria’s government and many independent experts say Christians and Muslims alike are the victims of the country’s security crises.