Israeli jets strike Hamas post in Gaza after gunfire

Sparks from an explosion caused by Israeli airstrikes in Gaza City, Saturday, July 16, 2022. (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 19 July 2022
Follow

Israeli jets strike Hamas post in Gaza after gunfire

  • The latest strikes come after Israeli warplanes targeted a Hamas site in the Gaza Strip over the weekend in response to rocket fire from the enclave

JERUSALEM: The Israeli Army said it launched strikes on Tuesday on a position belonging to Hamas in the Gaza Strip, after gunfire from the Palestinian enclave.

“Following the firing of a bullet from the Gaza Strip into Israel, the IDF (military) is currently striking a Hamas military post in the northern Gaza Strip,” the army said.

It added on Twitter that “fighter jets” were carrying out the strikes.

“Earlier today (Tuesday), a bullet was found in the community of Netiv Haasara,” the army statement said, referring to an Israeli agricultural community adjacent to Gaza’s northern border.

“After an inquiry, it was found that the bullet hit an industrial building earlier today after being fired from the Gaza Strip,” the army added.

A witness in Gaza’s Beit Hanoun area said they saw multiple strikes on a security site controlled by Hamas.

The latest strikes come after Israeli warplanes targeted a Hamas site in the Gaza Strip over the weekend in response to rocket fire from the enclave, the military said.

That exchange of fire came hours after US President Joe Biden had visited Israel and the occupied West Bank. “The military site consists of an underground complex containing raw materials used for the manufacturing of rockets,” the Israeli army said on Saturday.

The weekend strike “will significantly impede and undermine Hamas’ force-building capabilities,” it said, adding that Israel was responding to “attacks from the Gaza Strip on Israeli territory.”

Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem condemned Saturday’s strikes, which the official Palestinian news agency WAFA said caused no injuries. WAFA said Israeli missiles were fired at two locations, one “near a tourist resort,” where nearby houses were severely damaged. There had been two separate launches toward Israel on Friday night, each of two rockets, the military said.

Israel announced late on Saturday it was suspending a decision to increase the number of permits granted for Gazans to work in the Jewish state. The quota was raised before Biden’s visit by 1,500 permits, allowing 15,500 Gazan workers into Israel.

Impoverished Gaza, home to 2.3 million Palestinians, has been under Israeli blockade since 2007 when Hamas seized power from the secular Fatah movement of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

Prime Minister Yair Lapid said Sunday that Israel will respond “quickly, forcefully and without hesitation” to any fire from Gaza.


Aid mechanisms deployed to fill UN void in Yemen’s Houthi-controlled areas

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Aid mechanisms deployed to fill UN void in Yemen’s Houthi-controlled areas

  • Upcoming donor conference in Jordan seen as pivotal opportunity to re-mobilize international support

ADEN: Humanitarian operations in Yemen are entering a new and more complex phase after the UN was forced to rely on alternative aid-delivery mechanisms in Houthi-controlled areas, following the closure of its offices and the seizure of its assets.

The move has reshaped relief efforts in one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.

The shift comes as Amman prepares to host an international donor conference aimed at curbing the rapid deterioration in food security, amid warnings that hunger could spread to millions more people this year.

Recent humanitarian estimates show that about 22.3 million Yemenis — nearly half the population — will require some form of assistance in 2026, an increase of 2.8 million from last year. The rise reflects deepening economic decline and persistent restrictions on humanitarian work in conflict zones.

Aid sources say the UN is reorganizing its operations by transferring responsibility for distributing life-saving assistance to a network of partners, including international and local non-governmental organizations and the International Committee of the Red Cross, which continues to operate in those areas.

The transition aims to ensure continued access to food and medicine for the most vulnerable despite the absence of a direct UN presence, which has been undermined by restrictions imposed by the Houthis.

International agencies are increasingly adopting a “remote management” model to reduce risks to staff and maintain aid flows.

Relief experts caution, however, that this approach brings serious challenges, including limited field oversight and difficulties ensuring aid reaches beneficiaries without interference.

Humanitarian reports warn that operational constraints have already deprived millions of Yemenis of essential assistance at a time of unprecedented food insecurity.

More than 18 million people are suffering from acute hunger, with millions classified at emergency levels under international food security standards.

The upcoming donor conference in Jordan is seen as a pivotal opportunity to re-mobilize international support and address a widening funding gap that threatens to scale back critical humanitarian programs.

Discussions are expected to focus on new ways to deliver aid under security and administrative constraints and on strengthening the role of local partners with greater access to affected communities.

Yemen’s crisis extends beyond food.

The health sector is under severe strain, with about 40 percent of health facilities closed or at risk of closure due to funding shortages.

Women and girls are particularly affected as reproductive health services decline, increasing pregnancy and childbirth-related risks.

The World Health Organization has warned that deteriorating conditions have fueled outbreaks of preventable diseases amid falling immunization rates, with fewer than two-thirds of children receiving basic vaccines.

More than 18,600 measles cases and 188 deaths were recorded last year, while Yemen reported the world’s third-highest number of suspected cholera cases between March 2024 and November 2025.