Pulitzer board rejects Donald Trump’s plea to revoke prize for Russia coverage

The board of the Pulitzer Prize on Monday rejected a plea by former US President Donald Trump which called for the prize awarded to news reporters for their Russia coverage to be revoked. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 19 July 2022
Follow

Pulitzer board rejects Donald Trump’s plea to revoke prize for Russia coverage

  • Former US leader has called for prizes to be rescinded, citing ‘false reporting of a nonexistent link between the Kremlin and the Trump campaign’

LONDON: The board of the Pulitzer Prize on Monday rejected a plea by former US President Donald Trump which called for the prize awarded to news reporters for their Russia coverage to be revoked. 

The Pulitzer prize was awarded to The New York Times and Washington Post reporters in 2018 for their joint effort in covering Russia’s interference in the 2016 election, as well as Russian ties to Trump’s campaign and members of his administration.

The board’s decision comes after two separate independent reviews into Trump’s claims found that the award-winning reporting on Russian meddling in the presidential race between Trump and Hillary Clinton was conducted legitimately. 

“Both reviews were conducted by individuals with no connection to the institutions whose work was under examination, nor any connection to each other,” the board said in a statement.

“No passages or headlines, contentions or assertions in any of the winning submissions were discredited by facts that emerged subsequent to the conferral of the prizes.

“The 2018 Pulitzer Prizes in the National Reporting stand,” the statement added.

On Monday, the Pulitzer Center defended the awards, saying that Trump’s continued criticism of the media’s focus on the investigation was baseless given that reporters had no way of predicting the outcome.

Trump has repeatedly called for the prizes to be rescinded, citing “false reporting of a nonexistent link between the Kremlin and the Trump campaign.” 

The former US president also threatened the board with legal action, accusing the Pulitzer group of “running cover” for the prize winners and said that its investigations were conducted “in a veil of secrecy.”

This is not the first time that Trump has criticized coverage of Russia’s interference into his campaign. 

In 2019, the former US leader called investigative efforts by special counsel Robert S. Mueller a “witch hunt.”


Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

DUBAI: Earlier this week, Tucker Carlson flew to Israel to interview US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, according to media reports.

Carlson, who reportedly refused to leave Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport complex, conducted the interview at the airport, after which he said he and his staff were detained and their passports were seized.

“Men who identified themselves as airport security took our passports, hauled our executive producer into a side room and then demanded to know what we spoke to Ambassador Huckabee about,” Carlson said in a statement to The New York Post.

However, Carlson’s claims have been contradicted by Huckabee and Israeli authorities.

Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and Fox News host, said on social media platform X that “EVERYONE who comes in/out of Israel (every country for that matter) has passports checked & routinely asked security questions,” including himself, despite holding a diplomatic passport and visa.

The US Embassy in Israel also described the interaction as routine passport control procedures.

The Israel Airports Authority said in a statement that Carlson and his staff “were not detained, delayed, or interrogated.”

They were asked “a few routine questions, in accordance with standard procedures applied to many travelers,” and this conversation took place in a separate room within the VIP lounge to protect their privacy, the statement added.

“No unusual incident occurred, and the Israel Airports Authority firmly rejects any other claims.”

Carlson has faced criticism in recent years over his commentary on Israel, with critics accusing him of amplifying narratives that are hostile to Israel and, at times, antisemitic. He has also questioned Israel’s treatment of Christian communities in the region.

After Fox News canceled his show in April 2023, he launched his own program, “The Tucker Carlson Show” in 2024.

The show has featured controversial figures, including Darryl Cooper, who has made statements widely condemned as Holocaust denial, and white nationalist commentator Nick Fuentes.

In his interview with Fuentes, Carlson labeled Huckabee a “Christian Zionist.”

Carlson has also criticized Huckabee for not doing enough to protect Christian interests in the region. In one video, he said: “Why not go ahead and talk to Christians and find out their side of the story? Why aren’t American Christian leaders like Mike Huckabee or Ted Cruz, people who invoke the Christian Bible to justify what they’re doing, why haven’t they done this?”

Huckabee responded to the video on X, writing: “Instead of talking ABOUT me, why don’t you come talk TO me?  You seem to be generating a lot of heat about the Middle East. Why be afraid of the light?”

Carlson accepted the invitation, and their teams coordinated the interview, leading to his brief visit to Israel.