Powerful cleric blasts Hashd Al-Shaabi militia in Iraq

The Baghdad district where thousands of supporters gathered was named after Mohammad Sadr, Moqtada’s father, a cleric who was assassinated in 1999 under Saddam Hussein’s rule. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 16 July 2022
Follow

Powerful cleric blasts Hashd Al-Shaabi militia in Iraq

  • Paramilitaries must be kept out of business and politics, Moqtada Al-Sadr tells prayer rally

JEDDAH: The Iran-backed Hashd Al-Shaabi militia must be kept out of business and politics in Iraq, the country’s most powerful Shiite cleric warned on Friday.

In a speech delivered to hundreds of thousands of worshippers at a Friday prayer rally in Baghdad, Moqtada Al-Sadr targeted factions that he said had blocked the creation of a government since elections last October.

“We are at a difficult crossroads in the formation of the government, entrusted to some we do not trust,” Al-Sadr said. The Hashd “must be reorganized and undisciplined elements must be removed,” the cleric said.

He complained about “foreign interventions” without specifically naming Iran, and said the Hashd must be “kept at a distance from politics and business.”

Sadr’s bloc won 73 seats in the election, making it the largest in parliament, but talks to form a government have stalled and Iraq remains mired in a political and economic crisis.

Sadr initially supported the idea of a “majority government” but then surprised many by ordering his deputies to resign in June.

Analyst Hamzeh Hadad said the aim of Friday’s rally was to demonstrate that while Sadr’s bloc had resigned from parliament, “it does not mean that he is no longer relevant politically.”

Hadad said: “He was flexing his muscles and showing the influence he still has on the street.”


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al-Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.