Talks with Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan in ‘pre-dialogue’ phase — interior minister

Pakistan Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah speaks during a press conference in Islamabad on July 6, 2022. (Screengrab from YouTube video)
Short Url
Updated 06 July 2022
Follow

Talks with Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan in ‘pre-dialogue’ phase — interior minister

  • Parliamentary Committee on National Security on Tuesday formally approved negotiations with TTP militants
  • TPP extended cease-fire indefinitely after talks with Pakistani tribal elders mediated by Afghan Taliban in June

ISLAMABAD: A day after Pakistan set up a parliamentary committee to oversee talks with the local Taliban, Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah said on Wednesday the government’s negotiations with the outlawed group were in the “pre-dialogue” phase.

The Pakistani Taliban — known as the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) — has carried out some of the bloodiest attacks inside Pakistan since 2007, including a 2014 assault on a school in which 134 students were killed. The group is not directly affiliated with the Afghan Taliban, but pledges allegiance to them.

Pakistan has since 2007 carried out a number of military operations against the TTP, but, despite reducing the militant group’s footprint, with most fighters fleeing to neighboring Afghanistan, it has not been able to fully stop attacks, which had begun to rise again along its western border in recent months.

On June 4, the TTP extended a cease-fire with the government for an indefinite period, after two-day talks with a delegation of Pakistani tribal elders facilitated by the Afghan Taliban, who head the government in Kabul since US-led forces withdrew last year.

On Tuesday, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif chaired a meeting of over 100 lawmakers and officials to deliberate on talks with the Pakistani Taliban. The Parliamentary Committee on National Security subsequently gave its formal approval to hold the talks and also set up a parliamentary committee to oversee the process and ensure it was carried out within the ambit of the constitution.

Sanaullah told reporters on Tuesday talks with the TTP were in the “pre-dialogue” phase and it was still under discussion what the nature of the dialogue should be.

He said the parliamentary committee to oversee talks would comprise not only interior ministry and other government officials but “all political party representatives.”

He warned that the exercise of building political consensus around the talks should not be viewed as a “weakness” on the part of the state.

“Consensus should not be seen as a sign of weakness,” Sanaullah said.

Pakistani media has widely reported that at the heart of talks is an offer to accommodate the TTP with a safe passage back to Pakistan from Afghanistan in exchange for the group agreeing to a long-term cease-fire, dissolving its organization and possibly even joining mainstream politics.

The TTP’s main demands include compensation for losses caused to them during military operations, and for Pakistan to scrap a 2018 law that did away with the semi-independent status of the former tribal regions, FATA, that dates back to British colonial rule.

The TTP also wants a substantial reduction of Pakistani military forces from the former tribal areas, which border Afghanistan and where the group was mostly harboring before being driven out through military operations.


At least 16 dead after Karachi building collapses in suspected gas blast 

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

At least 16 dead after Karachi building collapses in suspected gas blast 

  • Four children and seven women among the dead, 13 people injured 
  • Incident follows recent Gul Plaza fire, highlighting urban safety concerns

KARACHI: At least 16 people were killed and 13 injured on Thursday when a residential building collapsed after a suspected gas explosion in Pakistan’s southern port city of Karachi, rescue authorities said.

Deadly accidents linked to gas leaks and unsafe infrastructure are frequent in Karachi’s crowded low-income neighborhoods, where households commonly rely on gas cylinders and informal connections with limited safety enforcement. The collapse comes weeks after a major fire at the city’s Gul Plaza shopping mall killed over 70 people and underscored concerns about building safety and regulatory oversight.

The latest incident occurred in the densely populated Soldier Bazaar area, according to a Rescue 1122 Sindh spokesperson. The dead included four children, seven women and five men, while the injured comprised five children, three women and five men.

“During a timely and professional operation, Rescue 1122 pulled 13 injured people from under the rubble and recovered 16 bodies,” Rescue 1122 Sindh spokesperson Hassan Khan said in a statement.

“Those injured in the incident were pulled from the debris and provided immediate medical assistance.”

He said urban search-and-rescue teams, firefighters and disaster response vehicles were dispatched to the site, with victims transported to nearby hospitals.

“All injured were provided first aid by Rescue 1122 ambulances at the scene before being shifted to nearby hospitals, while the rescue operation by Rescue 1122 (Sindh) was still under way,” the spokesperson added.

Sindh Information Minister Sharjeel Inam Memon directed authorities to ensure proper medical treatment for the injured.

“He also urged citizens to exercise caution in the use of gas and to immediately inform the relevant authorities in case of any suspected leakage,” the provincial government said in a statement.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest city, has repeatedly witnessed building collapses and fires linked to weak enforcement of construction rules, aging infrastructure and unsafe energy practices.