LONDON: The sale of Premier League club Chelsea is expected to be completed Monday after a “final and definitive” agreement was reached with the consortium fronted by Los Angeles Dodgers part-owner Todd Boehly.
The club said Saturday that “a final and definitive agreement was entered into last night” to sell to the Boehly and Clearlake Capital consortium. The price is 2.5 billion pounds ($3.2 billion) — the highest ever for a sports team.
“It is expected that the transaction will be completed on Monday,” the club said.
The announcement followed a series of approvals allowing Roman Abramovich to sell after he was sanctioned over his links to Russian President Vladimir Putin after the invasion of Ukraine.
Abramovich has owned the club for 19 years.
The British government, which had sanctioned Abramovich, approved the sale this week after ensuring that the Russian oligarch could not profit from it. The Premier League had earlier given its approval.
Chelsea have been operating under a government license since Abramovich’s assets were frozen in March and it expires Tuesday.
“It has been an honor of a lifetime to be a part of this club,” Abramovich said in a statement posted on Chelsea’s website.
“My goal has been to ensure that the next owner has a mindset that will enable success for the men’s and women’s team, as well as the will and drive to continue developing other key aspects of the club, such as the academy and the vital work of Chelsea Foundation,” he added.
The men’s team have won 21 trophies during Abramovich’s ownership. Chelsea fans have become accustomed to lavish spending under Abramovich, with more than $1 billion net spending on players.
Boehly’s group was chosen earlier this month after pledging to invest 1.75 billion pounds ($2.2 billion) in the teams and infrastructure.
The consortium also features Dodgers principal owner Mark Walter, Swiss billionaire Hansjorg Wyss, and funding from private equity firm Clearlake.
“I am pleased this search has now come to a successful conclusion,” Abramovich said. “As I hand over Chelsea to its new custodians, I would like to wish them the best of success, both on and off the pitch.”
Chelsea takeover imminent after final agreement reached
https://arab.news/mcr5w
Chelsea takeover imminent after final agreement reached
- The club said Saturday that “a final and definitive agreement was entered into last night” to sell to the Boehly and Clearlake Capital consortium
- The price is 2.5 billion pounds ($3.2 billion) — the highest ever for a sports team
DP World ILT20 stars power UAE’s spirited campaign at ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026
- Sharafu’s 145-run haul, Waseem’s captain’s knock and Siddique’s 5/35 underline the DP World ILT20’s growing impact on UAE cricket
- Aryansh Sharma emerges as UAE’s breakout star, showcasing the strength of the DP World ILT20 pathway
DUBAI: The UAE’s participation at the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 may have ended at the group stage on Feb. 18, but their competitive performances have underlined the steady rise of the national side on the global stage in recent years.
Across four high-intensity group matches, the UAE demonstrated composure against some of the most established teams in world cricket. Central to that progress was the influence of the DP World ILT20, whose environment has prepared UAE players to compete fearlessly against the sport’s biggest names.
Leading from the front was captain Muhammad Waseem. The MI Emirates player’s 66 off 45 balls against New Zealand — his highest score of the tournament — was a statement knock against elite opposition. The innings echoed the form that saw him secure the coveted Blue Belt as Best UAE Player for a fourth consecutive season in the DP World ILT20, where he amassed 370 runs in 13 innings as MI Emirates reached the Season 4 final.
Alishan Sharafu, who represents Abu Dhabi Knight Riders, emerged as the UAE’s leading run-scorer in the tournament. He compiled 145 runs in four matches, including a composed 55 off 47 against the New Zealand — his highest score. Sharafu was one of four UAE players to register a half-century in the tournament.
The bowling unit, too, carried a strong DP World ILT20 imprint. Junaid Siddique, who secured a high-value contract with Sharjah Warriorz at the historic Season 4 Player Auction, produced the tournament’s standout performance for the UAE. His sensational 5 for 35 against Canada at the Arun Jaitley Stadium dismantled the opposition and earned him player of the match honors.
Siddique finished as the UAE’s highest wicket-taker with seven scalps, capping a campaign that validated his status as one of the league’s premium signings.
Meanwhile, Haider Ali and left-arm pacer Muhammad Jawadullah — both regular features for Dubai Capitals — brought discipline and control to the attack, reinforcing the depth fostered within the league ecosystem. Also featuring in the UAE squad were Mayank Kumar of Abu Dhabi Knight Riders, Muhammad Farooq of Dubai Capitals, and Rohid Khan of MI Emirates.
Beyond the established names, the tournament also unveiled exciting prospects. Twenty-one-year-old Aryansh Sharma produced a defining moment with an unbeaten 74 in the five-wicket win over Canada, guiding the chase with poise and composure. Sohaib Khan emerged as the team’s third-highest run-getter with 132 runs, including a fluent 68 off 48 deliveries against Afghanistan national cricket team. These are players who will undoubtedly attract attention ahead of the DP World ILT20 Season 5 Player Auction.
The broader takeaway from the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 is the steady evolution of UAE cricket, with the Emirates side underlining how the DP World ILT20 is increasingly shaping players for the global stage rather than remaining just a domestic showcase.










