ISLAMABAD: Crown Prince of Bahrain Salman bin Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa strongly condemned a recent militant attack in Pakistan’s eastern city of Lahore which claimed three lives and left several injured during a phone call with Prime Minister Imran Khan on Tuesday.
The incident took place in a crowded market in the city where a bomb exploded outside a bank.
A newly formed separatist group, Baloch Nationalist Army, swiftly claimed responsibility for the attack by issuing a statement on social media.
“The Crown Prince strongly condemned the terrorist attack in Lahore on 20 January 2022, which claimed three lives and left several injured,” said an official statement circulated by the Prime Minister’s Office in Islamabad. “He extended deepest condolences to the bereaved families and prayed for early recovery of the injured.”
“The Crown Prince expressed solidarity with the people, leadership and government of Pakistan,” it added.
The Pakistani prime minister conveyed his gratitude to the crown prince for his country’s support and solidarity as well as for the sympathies and condolences.
He reaffirmed Pakistan’s firm resolve to fight all the elements that launched such attacks and targeted innocent civilians.
“The two leaders discussed ways to further strengthen and diversify bilateral relations and enhance cooperation in the multilateral fora and close coordination on regional and global issues of mutual interest,” the statement added.
Bahrain’s crown prince calls PM Khan, condemns militant attack in Lahore
https://arab.news/znsa7
Bahrain’s crown prince calls PM Khan, condemns militant attack in Lahore
- Three people were killed and several injured after a bomb went off in a crowded market in the city last week
- The crown prince extended deepest condolences to the bereaved families and prayed for early recovery of the injured
Pakistan opposition ends protests, PTI forms ‘Imran Khan Release Force’ for jailed ex-PM
- Opposition alliance ends week-long protests over Khan’s health concerns
- Party announces nationwide membership drive for “peaceful” mobilization
ISLAMABAD: A Pakistani opposition alliance on Wednesday called off nationwide sit-ins held over jailed former prime minister Imran Khan’s health, while his Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party announced a new mobilization campaign, including the formation of an “Imran Khan Release Force.”
Pakistan has faced months of political confrontation between Khan’s party and the government since his arrest in 2023, with repeated protests, court battles and accusations by PTI that authorities are attempting to sideline its leader from politics, allegations the government denies.
Tensions have intensified in recent weeks after concerns emerged about Khan’s health in prison. Khan’s lawyer told Pakistan’s Supreme Court last week that the ex-cricketer had lost significant vision in his right eye while in custody, while a medical board said the swelling had reduced after treatment and his vision had improved. Since last week, the Tehreek-i-Tahafuz-i-Ayin-i-Pakistan (TTAP) opposition alliance has been holding a days-long sit-in at Parliament House over Khan’s health concerns.
“All sit-ins including the one at parliament have been called off,” Hussain Ahmad Yousafzai, a spokesperson for the alliance, told Arab News.
Separately, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Muhammad Sohail Afridi told reporters the party was preparing for an organized political movement to demand their leader’s release.
“After continuous violations of court orders, an organized public struggle has now become inevitable,” Afridi said, announcing the creation of an “Imran Khan Release Force,” with membership open to youth across the country.
Afridi said the organization would include PTI’s student, youth, women, minority and professional wings and would conduct a “completely peaceful struggle,” adding that Khan himself would dissolve the body after his release.
He said membership cards would be issued within days and supporters would take oath in Peshawar after Eid, with a formal chain of command operating under leadership designated by Khan.
“This struggle is for real freedom, supremacy of the constitution and law, democracy and free media,” Afridi said.
Imran Khan, 73, a former cricket star who served as prime minister from 2018 to 2022, was removed from office in a parliamentary vote of no confidence that he says was orchestrated by political rivals with backing from the military. Both the government and armed forces deny the allegation.
Khan has been jailed since August 2023 after convictions he and his Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party call politically motivated.
Broadcast outlets have been restricted from airing Khan’s name and speeches or even showing his image. Only a single court photograph has been publicly available since his imprisonment.
PTI swept to power in 2018 and retains a large support base across key provinces.










