Six killed as bomb targets political party's conference in Quetta

Policemen search for evidence at the site of a bomb blast in Quetta on December 30, 2021. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 31 December 2021
Follow

Six killed as bomb targets political party's conference in Quetta

  • Blast targeted Shuhda-e-Islam Conference organized by Jamiyat Ulma-e-Islam Nazaryati political party
  • Pakistan is fighting several low-level insurgencies in the impoverished Balochistan province

QUETTA: A powerful blast rocked Quetta, the capital of Pakistan’s southwestern province of Balochistan, killing six people and injuring over a dozen others on Thursday, hospital officials said. 

Pakistan is fighting several low-level insurgencies in the impoverished province, waged by separatist, sectarian and other radical groups.

Pakistan’s least developed province of Balochistan shares a border with Iran and Afghanistan. The province is also home to Gwadar, where China is involved in the development of a port on the Arabian Sea as part of a $60 billion China Pakistan Economic Corridor.

A spokesperson for Quetta's Civil Hospital, Dr. Waseem Baig, confirmed six deaths in the Thursday evening blast. 

Police said the explosion was triggered by a remotely-controlled explosive device that targeted a religious ceremony, the Shuhda-e-Islam Conference, organized by the Jamiyat Ulma-e-Islam Nazaryati (JUI-N) political party. The blast occurred on Quetta’s famous Jinnah Road, one of the busiest in the provincial capital.

“The explosion targeted the political workers of a religious party when they were coming out from the conference hall,” Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Quetta Fida Hassan told journalists at the blast site. “We had deployed troops for the security of the event ... but unknown persons planted explosive material beneath an electricity pylon which exploded at 9:40pm while the political workers and religious leaders were dispersing after the event.”

“Approximately two kg of explosive material was used in the blast,” the police chief added. 

Injured people were evacuated from the blast site to the Civil Hospital where doctors declared emergency, Dr. Javed Akhtar, medical superintendent at the facility, told Arab News.

Pakistan’s Federal Minister for Interior, Sheikh Rasheed Ahmed, said the blast would be thoroughly investigated. 

“I have asked for the detailed report of the blast from the provincial authorities,” he said. “These cowardly attacks can’t deter the Pakistani nation.” 

The Chief Minister of Balochistan, Mir Abdul Qudus Bizenjo, also condemned the blast and directed authorities to ensure those injured in the attack got proper medical treatment. 

A provincial leader of the JUI-N party, Maulana Abdul Qadir Loni, said the party had repeatedly asked the provincial government for security “but they failed in protecting innocent workers.”

“We have called for a complete shutter down strike across Balochistan against Thursday’s blast on our Shuhda e Islam Conference," he told Arab News, "and we will start province-wide protests."


Pakistan reassures investors after Barrick announces review of Reko Diq project after attacks

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan reassures investors after Barrick announces review of Reko Diq project after attacks

  • Mining giant announced it would reassess all aspects of project after coordinated Jan. 30-31 assaults killed 58 in Balochistan
  • Copper-gold project’s development long overshadowed by decades-long separatist insurgency in remote province

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has assured foreign investors it has the “capacity and capability” to secure the multibillion-dollar Reko Diq copper-gold mine, Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti said on Monday after Canada’s Barrick Mining Corporation ordered a review of the project following deadly separatist attacks in the province last month.

The mining giant announced it would reassess all aspects of the project after coordinated Jan. 30-31 assaults by the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) killed 36 civilians and 22 security personnel across multiple districts of the remote southwestern province. Pakistani authorities say 216 militants were killed in follow-up operations.

The Reko Diq mine, one of the world’s largest undeveloped copper and gold deposits, is a cornerstone of Pakistan’s efforts to attract foreign investment and expand mineral exports after a prolonged economic crisis. Islamabad hopes the mines will generate $70 billion in free cash flow and $90 billion in operating cash flow. The project, expected to begin production in 2028, is jointly owned by Barrick Gold and the governments of Pakistan and Balochistan.

The project’s development, however, has repeatedly been overshadowed by security concerns in Balochistan, a sparsely populated province bordering Iran and Afghanistan that has faced a decades-long insurgency in which separatist groups target security forces, infrastructure and projects linked to foreign investment. Militants accuse the state of exploiting local resources without benefiting residents, an allegation the government denies.

“Of course, the government of Balochistan is concerned [about security], it’s not that they aren’t,” Bugti told Arab News in an interview in Islamabad.

“Barrick Gold has a very large investment and we have other international partners in that [Reko Diq mining project]. We want to assure them through your platform as well and also when our meetings will take place that we have the capacity and capability to protect our foreign investors.

“The state is intact, the government is intact. There is a functional government, there is a functional state in Balochistan.”

Bugti said authorities were redesigning security arrangements for the project, including raising a dedicated protection force in mineral-bearing areas and strengthening border controls. However, he acknowledged that attacks affected investor confidence.

“Yes, [attacks] do make a dent, when your country or province takes off [economically],” he said. “It does impact the perception.”

However, Bugti refused to describe the coordinated January attacks as a “security failure.”

“A security failure is when the [army’s] corps headquarters is captured ... when someone seizes control of the biggest cantonment in Quetta, or for that matter, captures our IG [Inspector-General of Police] headquarters, or the IG FC [Frontier Corps] headquarters, you call it a security failure,” the chief minister said. 

“I say it was a success of security forces that within hours, as I told you, other than Nushki, everything was clear.” 

The minister accused Pakistan’s neighbor and archival India of supporting insurgent groups in Balochistan, an allegation New Delhi has repeatedly denied.

“What evidence do you need? Kulbhushan Jadhav was not here to sell chickpeas. It is on record that he was an intelligence officer who came to support Baloch insurgents, and the way he was arrested highlighted this,” he said.

Jadhav is an Indian national arrested by Pakistan in 2016 and convicted by a military court on espionage charges. India disputes the allegations and challenged the case at the International Court of Justice, which ordered Pakistan to review the conviction but did not rule on guilt or innocence.

Ultimately, Bugti said long-term stability in Balochistan depended on pursuing economic development alongside security operations.

“See there is a development paradigm and the security paradigm. Both should be carried forward together,” he said. 

“My vision is that meritocracy and an anti-corruption drive are key to success in Balochistan.”