ISLAMABAD: Pakistani forces have completed the Bright Star drill in Egypt, the military said on Sunday, as Pakistan participated in the multinational exercise after a 12-year gap.
Bright Star is the largest set of multinational army maneuvers in the Middle East, which began in 1981 between Egypt and the US, before a large number of countries joined them, reaching 21 this year, with participants from Saudi Arabia, Greece, Jordan, Pakistan, UK and Cyprus, as well as 13 observer nations.
Bright Star exercises involve various branches of naval and air defense forces, as well as infantry, armored vehicles, and electronic warfare.
"Pakistan contingent comprising Army, Navy and Pak Air Force troops participated for the first time since 2009," the Pakistani military's media wing said in a statement.
The exercise that started on September 2 was focused on countering regional hybrid threats and strengthening regional stability through combined force interoperability, the military said.
The closing ceremony held at the Mohamed Naguib military base in northwestern Egypt on Friday was attended by Lt. Gen. Moazzam Ejaz, commander of the Pakistan Army Corps of Engineers.
Bright Star drills are held in Egypt every two years, but were postponed last year over the coronavirus pandemic.











