SINGAPORE: A group of migrant workers visited Singapore’s Little India area on Wednesday for their a first taste of freedom in more than a year, under a pilot program to ease movement measures imposed to halt a spike in coronavirus infections in dormitories.
While the rest of Singapore has returned to some semblance of normal life, low-wage foreign workers have mostly been confined to living quarters, other than for work, nearby recreation or essential errands.
Wednesday’s trip is part of a program to allow up to 500 fully vaccinated migrant workers to visit certain public locations for six hours each week. The project will be evaluated after a month.
The Southeast Asian financial hub in April last year imposed controls on tens of thousands of mainly South Asian laborers after their often-cramped dormitories became the epicenter of last year’s outbreak.
The pilot covers just a fraction of the large migrant labor population, who must take rapid COVID-19 antigen tests before and after visits.
For the lucky few, it was a chance to roam their old haunts.
After praying at one of Little India’s temples, Ayyavu Ponnaiah said he planned to do some shopping over the next few hours.
“I am very happy,” he said.
Fellow Indian Vairavan Karuppaiah, who works in construction, plans to visit a shopping center to buy new clothes.
The manpower ministry started the program after more than 90 percent of workers in dormitories were vaccinated, above Singapore’s overall inoculation rate of about 81 percent, one of the world’s highest.
Migrants get taste of freedom as Singapore loosens coronavirus-related labor curbs
https://arab.news/g3evm
Migrants get taste of freedom as Singapore loosens coronavirus-related labor curbs
- While the rest of Singapore has returned to some semblance of normal life, low-wage foreign workers have mostly been confined to living quarters
X briefly hit by 'international outages': monitors
- The breakdown was "not related to country-level internet disruptions or filtering," Netblocks said
- Spokespeople for X did not respond to request for comment on the outage before service was restored
Service was restored to Elon Musk-owned social network X Monday afternoon after it had failed to show posts to users in many countries.
The site was displaying content, allowing users to post and otherwise functioning normally again around 1530 GMT, after the Down Detector tracking website reported a spike in outage reports around two hours before.
X had appeared to be suffering "international outages," connectivity monitor Netblocks posted on the open-source social network Mastodon during the disruption.
The breakdown was "not related to country-level internet disruptions or filtering", added Netblocks, which regularly flags technical issues with popular online services and sites as well as interference by national governments.
Its most recent posts about similar outages for X came on February 9, the day after the Super Bowl in the US, and February 1.
AFP journalists in countries including France and Thailand had also been unable to access X on Monday afternoon.
Spokespeople for X did not respond to AFP's request for comment on the outage before service was restored.
Musk laid off thousands of people at the former Twitter and changed its name after buying the service in 2022.
He has since merged it with his xAI company, which develops the Grok chatbot.
xAI is set to in turn be absorbed by Musk's rocket firm SpaceX, with that merged entity expected to go public as early as summer this year.










