Singapore lockdown highlights plight of migrant workers

Thousands have been quarantine. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 10 April 2020
Follow

Singapore lockdown highlights plight of migrant workers

  • Nearly 20,000 migrant laborers, mostly from the construction industry, have been quarantined

SINGAPORE: Singapore’s move to lock down thousands of foreign workers has put a spotlight on their cramped and unhygienic dormitories, prompting rights groups to voice concerns that the substandard conditions endanger both their inhabitants and the broader community.

As the city-state fights to halt the spread of the coronavirus, nearly 20,000 migrant laborers, mostly from the construction industry, have been quarantined since Tuesday at two dormitories affected by the virus outbreak, according to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).

“MOM will assist the operators of S11 Dormitory @ Punggol as well as Westlite Toh Guan Dormitory to look after the well-being of their residents, such as ensuring that they get a timely supply of catered meals, and the premises are kept clean,” the ministry said in a statement on Tuesday.

Another dorm, Toh Guan Dormitory at Toh Guan Road East, which houses 4,500 workers, has been under quarantine since Monday.

An inter-agency task force with personnel from the Ministry of Health, National Environment Agency, Singapore Armed Forces, the Singapore Police Force and Migrant Workers’ Center has been set up to provide health care and food to the migrant laborers.

The dormitories have been a source of concern due to the large number of people they house, poor hygiene and the impossibility of imposing social distancing.

FASTFACTS

• Thousands of migrant workers have been quarantined at cramped dorms affected by coronavirus outbreak. • Inter-agency task force set up to provide them with health care and food.

Singaporean nongovernmental organization, the Humanitarian Organization for Migration Economics (HOME), which provides services to migrant workers, said that keeping them in such living conditions created systemic vulnerabilities that “endanger the workers and the broader community.”

“Mega dorms house tens of thousands of workers. At any one time, residents have to share facilities e.g. toilets and eating areas with dozens of people ... the space per resident means safe physical distancing is extremely difficult,” HOME said in a statement.

Phil Robertson, deputy director of Human Rights Watch’s Asia division, told Arab News that it was time Singapore treated migrant workers with dignity and respect. He said that it should start with providing decent and safe accommodation for the workers that “don’t pack people like peas in a pod under conditions that make these people the first victims in an epidemic.”

“The Singaporean authorities can’t just wall off behind a quarantine line. Locking down a dormitory and waiting for people to call if they feel sick is neither adequate nor humane,” he said.  

Sreyashi Sen, a Singapore-based counselor on migrant workers, told Arab News that although the migrant workers’ living conditions are better than in other countries, their dorms were cramped.

“From my observation, each dorm would have three bunk beds in one room that fits at least six people,” she said. 

While hailing the government’s quarantine move as “circuit-breaker measures,” she said that the workers had been cooperative due to their low status in the country.

“The workers adhere more to rules and laws compared with expatriates in Singapore. They are at the lowest rung in the societal pyramid, so their fear of deportation is high,” Sen said.


Trump pivots to new 10 percent global tariff, new probes after Supreme Court setback

Updated 28 min 46 sec ago
Follow

Trump pivots to new 10 percent global tariff, new probes after Supreme Court setback

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump moved swiftly on Friday to replace tariffs struck down by the Supreme Court with a temporary ​10 percent global import duty for 150 days while opening investigations under other laws that could allow him to re-impose the tariffs.
Trump told a briefing he was ordering new tariffs under Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974, duties that would go on top of surviving tariffs. These would partly replace tariffs of 10 percent to 50 percent under the 1977 International Emergency Economic Powers Act that the top court declared illegal.
Trump said later on Truth Social that he had signed an order for the tariffs on all countries “which will be effective almost immediately.”
A spokesperson for the US Customs and Border Protection agency declined comment when asked when collections of the illegal IEEPA tariffs would halt at ports of entry.
Trump’s Treasury Secretary, Scott Bessent, said the new 10 percent duties and potentially enhanced tariffs under the Section 301 unfair practices statute and the Section 232 national security statute would result in virtually unchanged tariff revenue in 2026.
“We will get back to the same tariff level for the countries. ‌It will just be ‌in a less direct and slightly more convoluted manner,” Bessent told Fox News, adding that the Supreme ​Court ‌decision had ⁠reduced Trump’s ​negotiating ⁠leverage with trading partners.
The never-used Section 122 authority allows the president to impose duties of up to 15 percent for up to 150 days on any and all countries to address “large and serious” balance of payments issues. It does not require investigations or impose other procedural limits. After 150 days, Congress would need to approve their extension.
“We have alternatives, great alternatives,” Trump said. “Could be more money. We’ll take in more money and we’ll be a lot stronger for it,” Trump said of the alternative tools.
While the administration will likely face legal challenges, the Section 122 tariffs would lapse before any final ruling could be made, said Josh Lipsky, international economics chair at the Atlantic Council, a think tank in Washington.
Trump said his administration also was initiating several new country-specific investigations under Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974 “to protect our country from unfair trading practices of ⁠other countries and companies.”
Trump’s shift to other statutes, including Section 122, while initiating new investigations under Section 301 ‌had been widely anticipated, but these have often taken a year to complete.
The 10 percent tariffs only last ‌five months, but Trump said that would allow his administration to complete investigations to enhance tariffs.
Asked if rates ​would ultimately end up being higher after more probes, Trump said: “Potentially higher. ‌It depends. Whatever we want them to be.”
He said some countries “that have treated us really badly for years” could see higher tariffs, whereas for others, “it’s going to ‌be very reasonable for them.”
The fate of dozens of trade deals to cut IEEPA-based duties and negotiations with major US trading partners remained unclear in the wake of the ruling, though Trump said he expected many of them to continue. He said deals that are abandoned “will be replaced with the other tariffs.”
“This is unlikely to affect reciprocal trade negotiations with our trading partners,” said Tim Brightbill, trade partner with the law firm Wiley Rein in Washington. “Most countries would prefer the certainty of a trade deal to the chaos of last year.”
US ‌Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said details on new Section 301 investigations would be revealed in coming days, adding these are “incredibly legally durable.” Trump relied on Section 301 to impose broad tariffs on Chinese imports during his first term.
The Supreme Court’s ruling puts about $175 ⁠billion in tariff revenue collected over the past year subject to potential refunds, according to estimates provided to Reuters by Penn-Wharton Budget Model economists.
Asked if he would refund the IEEPA duties, Trump said, “I guess it has to get litigated for the next two years,” a response indicating that a quick, automatic refund process was unlikely.
Speaking in Dallas, Bessent told business leaders that since the Supreme Court did not provide any instructions on refunds, those were “in dispute,” adding: “My sense is that could be dragged out for weeks, months, years.”
Part of the reason why Trump opted for IEEPA to impose tariffs last year was because the 1977 sanctions statute allowed fast and broad action with almost no constraints. Until Friday, he had also used it as a cudgel to swiftly punish countries over non-trade disputes, such as Brazil’s prosecution of former president and Trump ally Jair Bolsonaro.
While Trump’s new investigations will prolong tariff uncertainty, they could inject more order into his tariff policy by forcing him to rely on trade laws that have well-understood procedures, research and public comment requirements, and longer timelines, said Janet Whittaker, senior counsel with Clifford Chance in Washington.
“The administration will need to follow these set processes, conduct the investigations, and so for businesses, that means more visibility into the process,” Whittaker said.
Robert Lighthizer, Trump’s trade chief during his ​first term, said on Fox News that he hoped Congress would revise decades-old ​trade laws to give Trump new tariff tools.
“I think there’s consensus in this Congress that we have to change the old system, and I hope that they will take this as an opportunity to do that,” Lighthizer said.