Israeli minister travels to Ramallah for rare talks with Palestinian leader

Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas (L) and Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz held a rare high-level meeting. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 31 August 2021
Follow

Israeli minister travels to Ramallah for rare talks with Palestinian leader

  • Israel to lend Palestinian Authority $155m to ease financial crisis
  • Meeting follows Naftali Bennett’s visit to the White House

AMMAN: Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz has travelled to Ramallah for talks with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in the highest-level meeting since Israel’s new government took office in June.

The meeting is thought to have taken place at the urging of US President Joe Biden, who met Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett at the White House last week.

It also included the head of the Israeli military branch responsible for civil affairs in the occupied Palestinian territories, Ghasan Alyan, senior Palestinian Authority’s official Hussein Al Sheikh and Palestinian intelligence chief Majid Faraj.

Abbas and Gantz discussed Israel’s legal obligations and commitments, a senior Palestinian source told Arab News. “We are demanding the return of Palestinians' security to the border crossing as it was before October 2000, the reopening of the airport in Gaza, allowing for freedom of movement between Gaza and the West Bank, family reunification, resolving the many financial obligations that Israel owes us, and the right to build in all of the occupied territories,” the source said.

“We are not obliged to make any concessions for these Israeli obligations, which are in signed agreements to which the US is a witness.”

Hanan Ashrawi, a former member of the PLO executive committee, told Arab News the meeting had been focused on economic cooperation and maintaining the Palestinian Authority’s security role. “This is not political, it’s manipulating the occupation to serve Israeli interests by stressing the functional role of the PA,” she said.

Najeeb Qadoumi, a member of the Palestine National and Central Council, told Arab News the timing of the meeting was aimed at giving a false sense of movement, but in reality nothing of substance was changing.

“They are still looking at the Palestinians from the security prism and not from the prism of national rights and the right to national self-determination,” he said.

Opinion

This section contains relevant reference points, placed in (Opinion field)

Qadoumi said the Palestinians and the world should have no serious expectations from the Biden administration. “Sure, he is different from Trump, but he has given the Palestinians nothing on the settlements or Jerusalem, and is only paying lip service to the idea of a two-state solution.”

Dina Buttu, former legal adviser to the Palestinian negotiating team, said: “The equation is always the same — the occupied must give the occupier a safe space to carry out war crimes. In exchange we get bread.”

Fadi Elsalaameen, a senior fellow at the American Security Project, said the meeting was part of a strategy to bolster Abbas as a ruler in the West Bank, in the hope that somehow with Israeli support Abbas can turn things around for himself and Israel. “Anyone with common sense knows this is a failed strategy,” he said.

“Abbas’s future as a leader is already behind him.”

After the meeting, Israel said it would lend the PA more than $150 million to ease the authority’s financial crisis, but analysts pointed out that Israel was effectively lending the Palestinians their own money. Last month the Israeli government withheld $180 million from 2020 tax revenues it collected on behalf of the PA.


Lebanon condemns deadly Israeli strikes on south and east

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Lebanon condemns deadly Israeli strikes on south and east

BEIRUT: Lebanon’s president on Saturday condemned deadly Israeli attacks on his country carried out a day prior, the latest despite a ceasefire with militant group Hezbollah.
In a statement, Joseph Aoun called the attacks “a blatant act of aggression aimed at thwarting diplomatic efforts” by the United States and other nations to establish stability.
A lawmaker from Hezbollah called on Beirut to suspend meetings of a multinational committee tasked with monitoring the truce.
Washington is one of five members on the committee overseeing the ceasefire implemented in November 2024, with the body scheduled to meet again next week.
Israel has repeatedly bombed Lebanon despite the ceasefire, usually saying it is targeting Hezbollah but occasionally also the group’s Palestinian ally Hamas.
The Friday attacks on southern and eastern Lebanon killed 12 people, according to the health ministry, 10 of them in the east of the country.
Israel’s military said it struck “several terrorists of Hezbollah’s missile array in three different command centers in the Baalbek area.”
Hezbollah said a commander was killed in the raids. Its lawmaker Rami Abu Hamdan said on Saturday the group “will not accept the authorities acting as mere political analysts, dismissing these as Israeli strikes we have grown accustomed to before every meeting of the committee.”
He called on Beirut to “suspend the committee’s meetings until the enemy ceases its attacks.”
Hezbollah, while weakened following war with Israel, remains a strong political force in Lebanon represented in parliament.
Lebanon’s government last year committed to disarming the group, with the army saying last month it had completed the first phase of the plan covering the area near the Israeli border.
Israel, which accuses Hezbollah of rearming since the war, has called the Lebanese army’s progress on disarming the militant group insufficient.