South Sudan president orders end to factional infighting

South Sudan President Salva Kiir, speaks during a press conference at the State House in Juba, South Sudan. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 11 August 2021
Follow

South Sudan president orders end to factional infighting

  • Clashes broke out earlier this month in the Upper Nile region
  • Civil war broke out in South Sudan two years after independence in 2011 killing 400,000 people

JUBA: South Sudan President Salva Kiir has called for a halt to fighting between forces loyal to Vice President Riek Machar and a splinter group that threatens the country’s fragile peace process.

Clashes broke out earlier this month in the Upper Nile region between Machar loyalists and supporters of Lt. Gen. Simon Gatwech Dual after Gatwech tried to replace Machar as the head of their party.

Machar said the move was aimed at trying to block the country’s peace process.

Civil war broke out in South Sudan two years after independence in 2011 when forces loyal to Kiir and Machar clashed in the capital. It killed 400,000 people and led to a major refugee crisis before a peace accord was reached in 2018.

Kiir’s office said in a statement: “The Presidency strongly directs for the immediate cessation of hostilities between the ... forces under the command of Dr. Riek Machar Teny, and the breakaway ... forces under the command of General Simon Gatwech Dual.”

A spokesperson for Machar, Lam Paul Gabriel, said his group was ready for talks after the clashes in Magenis.

“With the communique from the presidency, we hope that the situation will come back to normalcy,” he said.

General Gatwech’s spokesperson was not reachable for comment.

On Monday, regional bloc Intergovernmental Authority on Development said the clashes went beyond Machar’s party and posed a threat to the rest of South Sudan.


Turkiye foreign minister to attend Trump’s Board of Peace meeting in Washington

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

Turkiye foreign minister to attend Trump’s Board of Peace meeting in Washington

  • Hakan Fidan to call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue
  • To also emphasize Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza, stop its ceasefire violations

ANKARA: ‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump’s “Board of Peace” on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.
A Turkish diplomatic source said ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.
Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Turkiye’s ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza’s reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said. He will also call for urgent action against Israel’s “illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank,” ⁠the ⁠source added.
According to a readout from Erdogan’s office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve “the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for,” and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.