Pakistan makes COVID-19 vaccination mandatory for domestic air travel

Pakistani passengers wearing face masks arrive at the Islamabad International Airport on February 3, 2020. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 24 July 2021
Follow

Pakistan makes COVID-19 vaccination mandatory for domestic air travel

  • Decision comes as Pakistan grapples with a surge in infections fueled by local transmission of the more aggressive delta variant
  • The country of 220 million people has so far administered COVID-19 vaccine doses to nearly 25 million people

ISLAMABAD: Coronavirus vaccination will be mandatory for passengers on Pakistan's domestic flights from Aug. 1, the National Command and Operations Center (NCOC), the government's central body dealing with the pandemic, announced on Saturday.

The decision comes as the country is grappling with a surge in infection cases fueled by local transmission of the more aggressive delta variant of the coronavirus, which officials have reported is reaching alarming levels in the country's major cities.

Officials have also raised concerns the delta variant could have spread during last week's Eid Al-Adha holiday as people traveled to and from cities to their hometowns across the country.

Confirmed COVID-19 cases on Friday crossed the one million mark since the beginning of the pandemic last year. Over 1,841 new infections and 32 deaths have been reported in Pakistan in the last 24 hours.

"From August 1, a coronavirus vaccination certificate is required for domestic air travel," the NCOC said in a statement.

The country of 220 million people has so far administered COVID-19 vaccine doses to nearly 25 million people.

Pakistan last month started easing wide-ranging coronavirus restrictions as infection numbers showed a steady decline. As they are now increasing again, local authorities are imposing new curbs and seeking new ways to accelerate vaccination.

Sindh province, were reports from the megacity Karachi said last week some public and private sector hospitals have reached capacity, will impose new restrictions from Monday, closing educational institutions, places of worship, and banning mass gatherings.

As 85 percent of coronavirus patients seeking treatment in Sindh were unvaccinated, according to the province's COVID-19 taskforce, to speed up vaccination the local government is planning sanctions against those in the province who had not received their jabs.

Murtaza Wahab, spokesperson of the Sindh government, said on Friday they would request the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority to block SIM cards in the cellphones of the unvaccinated.


Pakistan says 14 suspected militants killed in separate raids in insurgency-hit Balochistan

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan says 14 suspected militants killed in separate raids in insurgency-hit Balochistan

  • Counterterrorism department says eight suspects killed in Quetta operation, six in Barkhan raid
  • Security forces have stepped up anti-militancy operations after last month’s coordinated attacks in Balochistan

QUETTA: Pakistani security forces killed 14 suspected militants in two separate counterterrorism operations in southwestern Balochistan province, police said on Wednesday, as authorities intensify action against insurgent groups after recent large-scale attacks in the region.

Balochistan, Pakistan’s largest but least populated province bordering Iran and Afghanistan, has faced a decades-long separatist insurgency in which militants target security forces, infrastructure and civilians. The violence escalated last month when coordinated attacks across multiple districts in the province killed 36 civilians and 22 security forces. The state says 216 militants were killed in subsequent operations.

Separatist groups such as the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) accuse the state of exploiting the resource-rich region, a claim Islamabad denies.

“In Quetta’s Darakhshan area, eight suspected terrorists were killed in an exchange of fire during a Counter Terrorism Department operation,” a CTD spokesperson said in a statement, adding that three CTD personnel were also injured and weapons and ammunition were recovered.

The spokesperson said the killed suspects were believed to belong to a banned organization.

In a separate intelligence-based operation in Barkhan district, security forces killed six suspected militants during another firefight.

“During the operation, weapons and explosive material were recovered from the terrorists,” the spokesperson said, adding that the suspects were involved in sabotage activities and their bodies were shifted to Rakhni Hospital.

Security officials say raids and targeted operations will continue as part of broader efforts to dismantle militant networks operating across the province.