Saudi authorities step up inspection of pilgrims’ tents as Hajj progresses

A member of the Hajj ministry inspection team takes pictures of pilgrims' tents in Mina on Monday. (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 20 July 2021
Follow

Saudi authorities step up inspection of pilgrims’ tents as Hajj progresses

  • Work is part of the daily inspection process that reviews services, gets feedback about them and addresses any issues that are raised

MAKKAH: Officials from the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah on Monday inspected tents provided for pilgrims. It formed part of the daily inspections that are carried out to review the provision of services, get feedback about them and address any issues that have been raised.

Ministry officials, led by Acting Minister of Hajj and Umrah Issam bin Saad bin Saeed, were accompanied during the inspection by Abdulrahman Addas, CEO of the Royal Commission for Makkah City and Holy Sites, along with other representatives of the commission and other organizations.

“These inspection tours started with the arrival of the first pilgrims to Mina and will be carried out until the end of the Hajj journey,” the ministry said.

“These inspections have helped shed light on some comments, identify the entities responsible for (the issues they raised) and entrust the competent bodies to urgently address them. This procedure ensures the safety and comfort of pilgrims, while recording the highest levels of satisfaction among them.

“These tours come within the scope of the efforts exerted by the ministry and commission officials to follow up on the service-providers system and the readiness of the holy sites and their infrastructure.

“This helps to guarantee the proper implementation of preventive measures, and of the service-provision standards throughout the stages of the Hajj journey.”

 

 


Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

  • Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018

RIYADH: Members of Saudi Arabia’s Project Masam removed 2,108 explosive devices from various regions of Yemen last week.

The total included 2,484 unexploded ordnances, 149 anti-tank mines, 17 anti-personnel mines and 26 improvised explosive devices, according to a recent report.

The explosives were planted indiscriminately and posed a threat to civilians, including children, women and the elderly.

The demining operations took place in Marib, Aden, Jouf, Shabwa, Taiz, Hodeidah, Lahij, Sanaa, Al-Bayda, Al-Dhale and Saada.

Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018.

Teams are tasked with clearing villages, roads and schools to facilitate the safe movement of civilians and delivery of humanitarian aid.

The project trains local demining engineers, provides them with modern equipment, and offers support to Yemenis injured by the devices.