Expats laud Saudi extension of residency permits, visas of stranded expats

The cost-free extension was part of ongoing government efforts to ensure the safety of both Saudis and expats. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 10 June 2021
Follow

Expats laud Saudi extension of residency permits, visas of stranded expats

RIYADH: Workers and travelers from countries around the world on Wednesday praised the Saudi government for extending residency permits, exit, re-entry, and visitor visas for expatriates stranded abroad.

The General Directorate of Passports said the extension for those facing a travel ban due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic would last until July 31 and would be applied automatically in cooperation with the National Information Center.

The cost-free extension, granted on the directives of King Salman, was part of ongoing government efforts to ensure the safety of both Saudis and expats while also easing the economic and financial impacts on them.

Egyptian expat Ayman Hassan welcomed the decision and described it as a “good humanitarian gesture.”

He told Arab News: “A close relative of mine went to Egypt in February and is stranded there due to flight suspensions, and now, this decision came as a relief to him and others stranded abroad.”

Hassan said the Saudi government had taken timely measures to contain the COVID-19 outbreak and provide free treatment and vaccine jabs to everyone.

Sarfaraz Ahmad, who is stuck in India, said: “I came on holiday to India to spend time with my family but got stranded here due to the second wave of COVID-19.”

And Pakistani expat Ambreen Faiz said: “By renewing residency permits and extending exit and re-entry visas, and visit visas, the Saudi government has demonstrated that it is indeed a Kingdom of humanity.”

Meanwhile, Raafat Aoun, a Lebanese construction worker in Jeddah, said that a colleague had been stranded in Beirut for the past three months and was unable to travel due to a ban on flights between the two countries.


Saudi aid agency launches food distribution projects in Djibouti and Guinea

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Saudi aid agency launches food distribution projects in Djibouti and Guinea

  • Projects to benefit 40,000 individuals across Djibouti and 50,000 in Guinea
  • KSrelief's aid programs have reached a total of 113 countries across four continents

RIYADH: The King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief) has launched its 2026 food distribution projects in the African republics of Djibouti and Guinea.

The initiatives are part of Saudi Arabia’s broader humanitarian relief efforts to enhance global food security for vulnerable populations, according to statements carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA).

In Djibouti, Saudi Ambassador Mutrek Al-Ajaleen and other local officials rolled out the fifth phase of the year’s project. It consists of 6,715 baskets of essential food items designed to support 40,000 individuals across multiple regions of the country.

In Guinea, Saudi Ambassador Dr. Fahad Al-Rashidi led the launch ceremony for a similar initiative. Under this project, 8,400 food baskets will be distributed, benefiting 50,000 people nationwide.

Since its establishment in 2015, KSrelief has served as Saudi Arabia's primary humanitarian arm, making food security one of its largest and most critical operational sectors. According to the center's official statistics, KSrelief has implemented over 1,150 dedicated food security projects at a total cost of more than $2.2 billion.

These specific food distribution initiatives have successfully delivered vital sustenance to vulnerable populations in 86 countries worldwide. Broadening the scope beyond just food security, KSrelief's overall humanitarian and development aid programs have reached a total of 113 countries across four continents.