Israel kills militant commander after Palestinian rocket fire, US calls for peace

Palestinian children salvage toys from their home at the Al-Jawhara Tower in Gaza City, on May 17, 2021, which was heavily damaged in Israeli airstrikes. (Anas Baba/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 18 May 2021
Follow

Israel kills militant commander after Palestinian rocket fire, US calls for peace

  • Power, water supplies knocked out by Israeli bombs
  • US blocks diplomatic moves at UN

GAZA CITY: Israel killed a senior Islamic Jihad military commander on Monday as the death toll in its war on Gaza rose to 212, including 61 children and 36 women.

Hussam Abu Harbeed died in a renewed wave of airstrikes on residential and commercial buildings, including a seaside cafeteria, as the conflict entered a second week.

At least seven Palestinians were killed, including two who died in a missile attack on a seven-story office building in Gaza City. Israel also bombed what its military described as 15 km of underground tunnels used by Hamas, and the homes of nine high-ranking Hamas commanders.

On the edge of the Jabalya refugee camp, firefighters tried to put out fires caused when an Israeli artillery shell hit a sponge factory. Vast clouds of smoke filled the skies.

Workers cleared debris from wrecked buildings from the streets and tried to repair damaged telephone and electricity lines. People also searched through the rubble of ruined buildings to retrieve belongings.

“There is a systematic targeting of infrastructure by the Israeli occupation,” the mayor of Gaza City, Yahya Al-Sarraj, told Arab News.

“Main streets have been destroyed, including the one that leads to Al-Shifa Hospital, affecting sanitation and the water supply.

“The only desalination plant in Gaza City has stopped working, as a result of the continuous Israeli bombardment of the surrounding areas and the inability of workers to reach it, and the continuous electricity cuts have affected the pumping of water into homes.”

A reliable power supply is a daily challenge for Ziad Sheikh Khalil, 44, and his wife and four children. “We hardly get three hours of electricity a day,” he told Arab News.

“We all work quickly together when the power is on, to connect electrical equipment and charge mobile phones, operate the washing machine and pump water to the tanks at the top of the building.”

Electricity company spokesman Mohammed Thabit told Arab News that six of the 10 lines supplying 120 megawatts of power to Gaza had been knocked out, and there was a shortage of fuel for the only power station because of the closure of the Kerem Abu Salem crossing from Israel.

“There is also significant damage to the electricity networks as a result of the Israeli bombing of residential areas, which causes the electricity cables to be cut, which increases the suffering,” he said.

Egypt is leading efforts to broker a ceasefire in Gaza, but the US has blocked three draft UN Security Council statements. US envoy Hady Amr met Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah on Monday, and US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said his staff had been “working around the clock” to end the conflict.


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 57 min 38 sec ago
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al-Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.