OIC emergency session: Pakistan demands Israel's accountability for 'crimes against humanity'

Pakistan's Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi speaks during a session of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) on May 16, 2021. (Photo courtesy: Pakistan Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
Short Url
Updated 16 May 2021
Follow

OIC emergency session: Pakistan demands Israel's accountability for 'crimes against humanity'

  • Israeli airstrikes on the Gaza Strip have killed at least 181 people, including 52 children since last week
  • Virtual emergency meeting called at Saudi Arabia's request to address Israeli attacks in the Palestinian territories

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan demanded that Israel be held accountable for crimes against humanity during an emergency session of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) on Sunday.

The virtual emergency meeting of the foreign ministers of OIC member states was chaired by Saudi Arabia's foreign minister, Prince Faisal bin Farhan. It was called at the kingdom's request to address continuing Israeli attacks in the Palestinian territories.

 

 

Israeli airstrikes on the Gaza Strip have killed at least 181 people in the self-governing Palestinian territory, including 52 children, and injured over 1,225 since last week, according to Gazan health authorities.

"Israel's crimes against humanity should not escape accountability," Pakistan's Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said during the OIC session, as he named several other issues that require immediate action from the international community, including "concerted actions to stop Israeli atrocities against civilian population in Gaza. The bombardment in Gaza must be stopped immediately."

He added it has become "critical and urgent" to implement a series of United Nations that call for the establishment of a Palestinian state, the right of return of Palestinian refugees, and an end to Israeli settlement building.

The latest wave of violence escalated in the final days of the fasting month of Ramadan after Israeli police fired tear gas, rubber-coated steel bullets, and stun grenades at Palestinians gathered at Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem — the third holiest site in Islam.

The violence was triggered by protests as Israeli forces tried to expel Palestinians from their houses in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood of East Jerusalem and hand over their property to Jewish settlers.

"The tragedy of forced evictions of Palestinians from the Shaikh Jarrah neighborhood of Al-Quds Al-Shareef is the latest manifestation of the systematic Israeli effort to change the demographic structure; historical and legal status; and Arab-Islamic and Christian character of Al-Quds Al-Shareef. This is patently illegal, immoral and unacceptable," Qureshi said.

He added: "There should be no impunity for Israel’s violation of international law, including the Fourth Geneva Convention and the various human rights treaties."

The Fourth Geneva Convention of 1950, ratified by 192 nations, including Israel, says that an occupying power "shall not deport or transfer parts of its own civilian population into the territory it occupies." Such transfers are also classified as war crimes under the 1998 statute that established the International Criminal Court.

As numerous Western politicians, including members of the US administration, have referred to the Israeli attacks as "self-defense," Qureshi said that "attempts to create a false equivalence between Israel, the aggressor, and Palestinians, the victims, are inexcusable."

"As the collective voice of the Muslim Ummah, the OIC should work in unity to dispel this deliberately deceptive perception," he said.

He reiterated Pakistan's support for an independent State of Palestine with the pre-1967 borders, in accordance with the relevant UN and OIC resolutions and "Al-Quds Al-Shareef as the capital of a viable, independent and contiguous Palestinian State."

"Support for the Palestinian cause has been a defining principle of Pakistan’s foreign policy since our inception," Qureshi said. "Our founding father, Quaid-i-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah, was unrelenting in upholding the legitimate rights of the Palestinian people."


Attack on paramilitary post in northwest Pakistan kills seven security personnel, child

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Attack on paramilitary post in northwest Pakistan kills seven security personnel, child

  • Blast hits Frontier Corps checkpoint in Bajaur near Afghan border
  • Police recover bodies from rubble as rescue operation continues

ISLAMABAD: An attack on a paramilitary checkpoint in northwest Pakistan killed at least seven security personnel and a child on Monday, officials said, the latest in a series of attacks in a region bordering Afghanistan.

Pakistan has witnessed a steady rise in attacks in the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province since the Taliban returned to power in Afghanistan in 2021, with most violence targeting police and security forces in former tribal districts along the border.

Islamabad says the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) militant group has reorganized across the frontier and operates from safe havens inside Afghanistan, a charge Kabul rejects, insisting it does not allow its territory to be used against other countries.

The latest attack struck a Frontier Corps (FC) post in the Mamond area of Bajaur district, destroying a small compound where security personnel were stationed.

“We have recovered seven dead bodies, one of them police, and two injured from the debris while search for other bodies is underway,” Deputy Superintendent of Police Niaz Mohammad told Arab News, describing the compound as “a structure comprising four to five rooms.”

Rescue teams continued operations to locate anyone trapped beneath the rubble, officials said.

Police did not comment on the nature of the attack but a statement from the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa chief minister’s office described it as a suicide bombing and confirmed casualties among security personnel and a child.

“The martyrdom of security personnel and a child in the terrorist attack is extremely tragic,” the statement said, adding that emergency services had been instructed to speed up rescue efforts.

Authorities said operations against militants in the province would be intensified.

Districts along Pakistan’s border with Afghanistan, including Bajaur and Bannu, have repeatedly been targeted in bombings and assaults on security checkpoints since a fragile ceasefire between Islamabad and the TTP collapsed in late 2022. Security forces continue to conduct intelligence-based operations in the region, but patrols and outposts remain frequent targets.