70,000 migrants in Libya said to be preparing to travel to Italy

Migrants board the Asso Trenta to be taken offshore and transferred to the quarantine ship Gnv Azzurra, on the Sicilian island of Lampedusa, southern Italy, Tuesday, May 11, 2021. (AP Photo)
Short Url
Updated 11 May 2021
Follow

70,000 migrants in Libya said to be preparing to travel to Italy

  • Claim follows 2,150 migrants reaching small Italian island of Lampedusa Sunday, Monday
  • 13,000 migrants have landed in Italy so far in 2021, triple the 4,184 that arrived same time last year

LONDON: Some 70,000 migrants in Libya are waiting to take the precarious sea crossing to Europe, Italy’s intelligence service has claimed, prompting discussions of a naval blockade.

The claim follows some 2,150 migrants reaching the small Italian island of Lampedusa on Sunday and Monday.

Around 800 of those who had risked their lives to cross the sea traveled in two large fishing boats.

“Our migrant center has space for 200, so they were sleeping outside the center’s gates last night,” said Salvatore Martello, the island’s mayor.

Corriere della Sera newspaper reported that the Italian intelligence service assessed that 50,000-70,000 migrants are now ready to take the same route.

Many EU states agreed in 2019 to take in proportional redistribution of migrants as Italy endured thousands of arrivals, but few states have maintained their commitments. 

Some 13,000 migrants have landed in Italy so far in 2021, triple the 4,184 that arrived at the same time last year.

Local fishermen claimed that some of the migrants in Lampedusa sailed from Tunisia in larger ships before making the final trip in smaller boats, but the majority of the 2,150 sailed from Libya.

Over 500 people have died on the naval route from Libya to Italy this year, a rising trend that has been exacerbated by smugglers putting migrants onto precarious, weak dinghies. 

Karim Mezran, a senior fellow at the Washington-based Atlantic Council, said Libyan militias are using human trafficking and migration as leverage against the EU.

“These are groups which fought against General (Khalifa) Haftar in the recent Libyan conflict and are angry that the new unity government has appointed people close to Haftar,” said Mezran.

“That makes them angry with Europe, which backs the government. They have enough influence on the coast to stop trafficking or allow it, and right now they are allowing it to show their displeasure.”


Gaza death toll far higher than initially reported: Lancet study

Updated 12 sec ago
Follow

Gaza death toll far higher than initially reported: Lancet study

  • Israel killed 25,000 more people by start of 2025 than was reported by authorities
  • ‘It will be a long time before we get to a full accounting of all the people killed in Gaza, if we ever get there’

LONDON: The war in Gaza saw 25,000 more deaths in its first 16 months than authorities announced at the time, according to the Lancet.

Research published by the medical journal estimated that 75,000 deaths occurred between Oct. 7, 2023, and Jan. 5, 2025, including 42,200 women, children and elderly people.

The authors of the study published on Wednesday said: “The combined evidence suggests that, as of 5 January 2025, 3-4% of the population of the Gaza Strip had been killed violently and there have been a substantial number of non-violent deaths caused indirectly by the conflict.”

Last month, an Israeli security officer told Israeli media that casualty figures published by Gaza’s health authorities were largely accurate, having previously downplayed or questioned their size, adding that around 70,000 people were thought to have been killed in Israeli assaults since Oct. 7, 2023.

Gaza’s health authorities say 71,660 people are confirmed to have died, including 570 since the singing of a ceasefire last October.

The new research suggests that those figures are below the reality. Using trained Palestinians on the ground in the enclave, it surveyed 2,000 Gazan families who were asked to provide details about members killed in the conflict.

One of the report’s authors, Prof. Michael Spagat of Royal Holloway, University of London, said the research found that 8,200 people also died in the surveyed period from “indirect” causes such as disease and hunger.

Despite covering the most intense period of the conflict, the study does not analyze anything beyond January 2025. In August, famine was declared in Gaza by UN-backed experts.

In November, a study conducted by researchers at the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research suggested that 78,318 people had been killed in the enclave by Dec. 31, 2024.

Its higher casualty rate was ascribed to a larger number of indirect fatalities, which contributed to life expectancy in Gaza dropping by 44 percent in 2023 and 47 percent in 2024.

“It will be a long time before we get to a full accounting of all the people killed in Gaza, if we ever get there,” said Spagat, who has studied conflict zones for 20 years.